Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chris Coleman

Re: Chris Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Gary Speed high end PL player.
    Yep.The best group of players we have ever had

We had Ian Rush in that side who is the calibre of Bale, Hughes was every bit as good as Ramsey, probably better, and top British players same as Ramsey and if we are talking solely midfielders then James, Thomas, David Phillips and Nicholas were every bit as good as the likes of Allen, Dave Edwards, Joe Ledley and Andy King. David Phillips played more top division games than King, Ledley and Dave Edwards put together ffs.

You’d swear Rambo and Allen were Xavi and Iniesta they way some go on.

Allen got a move to a big club and failed.
    Those players played at a time when almost every team in the country was comprised wholly of British and Irish players. David Phillips wouldn't get anywhere near the top division if he was playing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep.The best group of players we have ever had
    Unfortunately, you had to win your group to qualify in them days.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Yeah, sorry, stupid people make me angry, my bad.

Don't let the internet get yo you babes xx

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Those players played at a time when almost every team in the country was comprised wholly of British and Irish players. David Phillips wouldn't get anywhere near the top division if he was playing today.
    Hed get nearer to it than Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

Don't let the internet get yo you babes xx
    You're not really a warrior, are you?

Hed get nearer to it than Dave Edwards
    No argument there. But their relative positions in the Wales pecking order make it irrelevant anyway.

Still letting the internet get to you. Let it go xx

They've got a decent side on paper but I almost think it may be best for them to be relegated and start from scratch bit of a position chalice that place

As he? He’s had more sacks than Santa Claus.

CCs achievements with Wales far exceed anything Hughes has done in his managerial career.
    Hughes has had the same number of clubs as Coleman. So I thus presume Coleman is pretty crap also, given he's been fired as many times as Hughes, right?

Stats don't lie.

Hughes win rate with Wales was 29%. Overall win rate 38%.
    Coleman win rate with Wales was 38%. Overall win rate 34%.

That indicates when presented with a set of core players with limited scope to change ( ie Welsh eligible players coming through the ranks ), Coleman was better - coming off an upswing in fortunes under Speed which helped to increase the pool of players. Hughes has dross like Nathan Blake and Hartson, let's not forget.

In terms of running a domestic club, where you can get in the players you want it's clear that Hughes is by far the better manager.

Wales was Hughes' first managerial role. You can expect a first timer to make mistakes. Wales was Coleman's fifth role, after a string of not particularly impressive roles. Hughes achieved win rates in the mid 40% for Blackburn and Man City, two bigger domestic roles than Coleman has ever had - obviously the context there is the team expectations.

The pattern seems to be Hughes started off poorly with Wales, improved domestically with the big jobs and declined in roles that needed a fair bit of fire fighting / being cute with transfers ( Fulham, QPR, Stoke ).

Coleman did ok with Fulham. When players were sold, he struggled - indicating players already there bought in to whatever he was selling, had problems working with revamped squad. Toshack put in a word, swung him the Real Sociedad role. Walked out after falling out with their new President. Got Coventry role, turned them into the worst hoofball side I'd seen at CCS. He left British football, coming out with the incredible statement when doing punditry work on a Sky game "No British chairman would allow me to play the way I want a team to". So he went to a Greek team only to leave when there were money problems.

So, if the choice were out of the two which would be the best to manage Wales at this point in time? Coleman. Manage us? Neither. Neither of them is a patch on Neil Warnock when it comes to building a football team.

Coleman made the choice to chase the money with regards to the Sunderland role. His stock was at it's highest just after Euros. it's fallen since then due to the non-qualification for Russia. The Prem jobs he expected weren't there.

The question will be what he does once he leaves Sunderland. Can see him bouncing around mid/lower level Championship sides if the money is right. Maybe China given the money they throw around.

Ramsey stars for Arsenal. He was man of the match at Stamford bridge this season. I remember him controlling a game against man united and he scored the winner not long after his return from breaking his leg. And he bossed most games in that amazing season where he couldn't stop scoring.

I think he's better than lallana and alli. But come on, who else then..to say he's one of the top British midfielders is correct. Any pundit will tell you that. England would love to have Ramsey.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Hughes has had the same number of clubs as Coleman. So I thus presume Coleman is pretty crap also, given he's been fired as many times as Hughes, right?

Stats don't lie.

That indicates when presented with a set of core players with limited scope to change ( ie Welsh eligible players coming through the ranks ), Coleman was better - coming off an upswing in fortunes under Speed which helped to increase the pool of players. Hughes has dross like Nathan Blake and Hartson, let's not forget.

In terms of running a domestic club, where you can get in the players you want it's clear that Hughes is by far the better manager.

Wales was Hughes' first managerial role. You can expect a first timer to make mistakes. Wales was Coleman's fifth role, after a string of not particularly impressive roles. Hughes achieved win rates in the mid 40% for Blackburn and Man City, two bigger domestic roles than Coleman has ever had - obviously the context there is the team expectations.

The pattern seems to be Hughes started off poorly with Wales, improved domestically with the big jobs and declined in roles that needed a fair bit of fire fighting / being cute with transfers ( Fulham, QPR, Stoke ).

Coleman did ok with Fulham. When players were sold, he struggled - indicating players already there bought in to whatever he was selling, had problems working with revamped squad. Toshack put in a word, swung him the Real Sociedad role. Walked out after falling out with their new President. Got Coventry role, turned them into the worst hoofball side I'd seen at CCS. He left British football, coming out with the incredible statement when doing punditry work on a Sky game "No British chairman would allow me to play the way I want a team to". So he went to a Greek team only to leave when there were money problems.

So, if the choice were out of the two which would be the best to manage Wales at this point in time? Coleman. Manage us? Neither. Neither of them is a patch on Neil Warnock when it comes to building a football team.

Coleman made the choice to chase the money with regards to the Sunderland role. His stock was at it's highest just after Euros. it's fallen since then due to the non-qualification for Russia. The Prem jobs he expected weren't there.

The question will be what he does once he leaves Sunderland. Can see him bouncing around mid/lower level Championship sides if the money is right. Maybe China given the money they throw around.
    What relevance has a 'win rate'? Why not compare points? The 'win rate' method means that one win and nine losses is worth less than five draws and five losses, which is nonsense. League positions are determined by points gained not statistical irrelevances.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

Stats don't lie.

Coleman has been sacked twice. He resigned the 2 foreign jobs for off field issues, once when he was 5th in the league.

As for dross like Hartson and Blake? Id take them over Vokes and Simon Church any day!!!

The rest I couldnt be bothered to read if I am honest. I really dont care that much about who is the better manager between Coleman and Hughes.

Uts all opinion, but the one undisputable fact is Coleman qualified, and not only qualified, got us to the semi final of a major tournament. Hughes didnt even qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Ramsey stars for Arsenal. He was man of the match at Stamford bridge this season. I remember him controlling a game against man united and he scored the winner not long after his return from breaking his leg. And he bossed most games in that amazing season where he couldn't stop scoring.

I think he's better than lallana and alli. But come on, who else then..to say he's one of the top British midfielders is correct. Any pundit will tell you that. England would love to have Ramsey.
    He didnt say he was one of the top, he said he was the best. You agree, I dont dont.

Hes just about a top 10 premier league midfielder in my opinion. Hes not world class.

Coleman has been sacked twice. He resigned the 2 foreign jobs for off field issues, once when he was 5th in the league.
    Perfect time to tell the story about Coleman missing a press conference when he was at Sociedad. He gave the excuse that his washing machine had flooded his apartment. The truth was that he'd been out at a student night til 5am.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Perfect time to tell the story about Coleman missing a press conference when he was at Sociedad. He gave the excuse that his washing machine had flooded his apartment. The truth was that he'd been out at a student night til 5am.
    What was he studying? Spanish?

He didnt say he was one of the top, he said he was the best. You agree, I dont dont.

Hes just about a top 10 premier league midfielder in my opinion. Hes not world class.
    Wait, if the top 10 midfield players in the EPL aren't "World class", then who the hell is?

Ramsey would get in most teams in the World, let alone the premier league.

50 goals and 50 assists for Arsenal, from midfield, speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Obviously his Mrs couldn't get a car tracker in Spain!

As for dross like Hartson and Blake? Id take them over Vokes and Simon Church any day!!!

The rest I couldnt be bothered to read if I am honest. I really dont care that much about who is the better manager between Coleman and Hughes.

Uts all opinion, but the one undisputable fact is Coleman qualified, and not only qualified, got us to the semi final of a major tournament. Hughes didnt even qualify.
    So, we're just going to completely overlook the fact that qualification is a lot easier these days, due to the increased number of finalists?

Wait, if the top 10 midfield players in the EPL aren't "World class", then who the hell is?

Ramsey would get in most teams in the World, let alone the premier league.

50 goals and 50 assists for Arsenal, from midfield, speaks for itself.
    Where did I say the top 10 midfield players in the EPL arent "World Class"?!?!?!

I said he just about scrapes into the top 10.

Where did I say the top 10 midfield players in the EPL arent "World Class"?!?!?!

I said he just about scrapes into the top 10.
    You said (twice) that he scrapes into the top 10, but he's not World class?

So, we're just going to completely overlook the fact that qualification is a lot easier these days, due to the increased number of finalists?
    There are an increased number of teams trying to qualify, not to mention the lesser nations developing and improving, so it doesnt make it any easier.

Besides, that argument doesnt wash with the fact we got to the semi finals.

You said (twice) that he scrapes into the top 10, but he's not World class?
    Correct. Being the 10th best midfielder in the EPL doesnt make you world class.

Which was why my point was that out of Hughes and Coleman, I'd prefer Coleman as Welsh manager. I'd prefer Hughes as a domestic manager. Horses for courses - would prefer other candidates in the frame for both.

Hartson at that point in time was past it. A case of turning up for the money ( nominal international money granted ) to pay his gambling debts. A Jon Parkin without the charisma. Vokes and Church are better than Hartson from that time period for the simple fact they can actually move.