+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single most disappointing moment as a City supporter?

Re: Single most disappointing moment as a City supporter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It was.
    Don't blame Ali.
    He will have been instructed to announce it.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Was it Ali?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It was.
    No it was not !

It was the Head of Security. Ex-copper, I won't say his name to save him the embarrassment

FA cup replay January 1969 losing at Highbury 2-0. Totally gutted that night, maybe because I was a youngster, but it knocked me for six, I really thought we had the side to beat the mighty Arsenal especially after holding them to a 0-0 draw at our place.
    Blackpool play off final obviously.
    The most deflating feeling ever though was the Brighton match, seeing all those city fans grabbing the red scarves out of the box underneath the canton stand left me fecking speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Jay Bothroyd getting injured in the play off final and knowing our manager would be utterly clueless in dealing with the change.
    He was injured before the final yet Dave Moans still picked him

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    He was injured before the final yet Dave Moans still picked him
    Because he was irreplaceable at the time. The most important player in the team.

Can’t blame Jones for taking the gamble. Can blame him for putting a kelvin ****ing Etuhu on instead of Ross though 🤬🤬🤬

On the pitch - Stoke play off semi. Not sure why but it was worse than Blackpool for me.
    Off the pitch - Brighton scarf game. Less said about that the better.

11 December, 1982 - FA Cup: Cardiff City 2 Weymouth 3.

That dismal result was compounded by the halftime score: Cardiff City 2 Weymouth 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Maidstone in the FA CUP

Although no one has mentioned toshack being sold

Or the many hmrc court cases
    Maidstone was a League game if it's the 0-5 game. With the great John Williams giving away a penalty and getting sent off. Opening day of the seats in the 'lower' Grandstand too and a big crowd.

For me Blackpool in 2010 and the other Play Off failures, es specially against Reading. The relegations of 1975, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1990, 1995, 2000. And the 5-1 mentioned above in 1971, I really thought we were going up that year (and we beat Real Madrid a month before). We never came close again until Dave Jones' days. Selling Toshack, Blake and Earnshaw too. And Gabbidon, Collins any anyone else we could get a fee for when we had no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Jay Bothroyd getting injured in the play off final and knowing our manager would be utterly clueless in dealing with the change.
    This.

The most galling aspect of this was that Bothroyd was considered a doubt up until the day itself, yet there was no apparent plan on how to deal with the prospect of him not lasting 90 minutes. It fell to Kelvin Etuhu, a player who has since never played as a target man, to fill Bothroyd's shoes, rather than consider alternative tactics/formations to suit a likely replacement.

Despite all of this, we still should have got something out of the second half. I think we rattled the woodwork twice. That side would have stayed in the Premier League had it gone up that season.

I think the disappointment came from failing to beat a team most of us were expecting to beat. I know I didn't consider any other result, I was that confident. Reading, a year later, was entirely expected. Bellamy had dragged results from us in the end of season run in while we were playing poorly, and so when he was crocked, there was absolutely no surprise that we'd be in for another capitulation. I think that Reading 2nd leg was the most angry I've been after a match as a City fan.

Because he was irreplaceable at the time. The most important player in the team.

Can’t blame Jones for taking the gamble. Can blame him for putting a kelvin ****ing Etuhu on instead of Ross though ������
    Absolutely, as I've just said elsewhere. He used Etuhu as a target man. Like for like. 1 tactic. No alternatives. No thoughts that Bothroyd might get crocked and there'd be a need to plan for that. Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The last minute SV Hamburg winner as a result of a mistake by the other other Bob Wilson.
    Bob Wilson letting a soft Uwe Seeler shot through his hands in the last minute of this game. Scoular said he'd never pick him again and he didn't.
    Blackpool a close second.

Losing to Blackpool at Wembley and the scarfgate match.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Losing 5 - 1 away to Sheffield United in the 1970/71 season.

This was brought up yesterday in the thread linked to their messageboard, but those contributors around then will know what I mean.

Anyone else care to share a painful moment?
    Witnessing Cardiff City playing in Red V Bristol City playing in Blue, I walked out at half time

The change to red and the threats and bad mouthing from so called city fans who seemed to vanish once we were relegated from the greedy league

Stoke. Nothing else comes close.

1: Cardiff City v Notts Forest: Scarfgate. Angry as frig about that

2: The Phil Stant v Rick Wright saga.

3: the penalty misses in the league cup

to any others to mention

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    1: Cardiff City v Notts Forest: Scarfgate. Angry as frig about that

2: The Phil Stant v Rick Wright saga.

3: the penalty misses in the league cup

to any others to mention
    Scarfgate was a Brighton match wasn't it?

For me it was the night we were promoted when we drew against Charlton I was standing at the back of the ninian and I just didn't feel a connection to the club, everyone was celebrating running on the pitch and that was the night that i realised really what had happened with the change of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Scarfgate was a Brighton match wasn't it?
    Yeah.

Stoke play-off for me with a special dishonourable mention for Hayes in the FA Cup (they weren't even Hayes and Yeading back then FFS)

Kenny Miller skying that chance to win the league cup
    I still think about that from time-to-time. And it still makes me angry. Missed his penalty too.

When Kav left

Blackpool play off final. Sickening. Was meant to stay in London for the night but just cadged a lift home.
    Bad day that.

Remember a Blackpool fan came past our bus laughing. Idiot had a right ****ing kicking for it..wrong time for high jinx and jokes after that loss.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The change to red and the threats and bad mouthing from so called city fans who seemed to vanish once we were relegated from the greedy league
    That whole 'Red' episode was horrendous, wont go over old ground, but for me, it was the worst of times in our clubs history, it certainly dispelled my notion of city fans, as a 'band of brothers' suppose I was naïve.