Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
Jay Bothroyd getting injured in the play off final and knowing our manager would be utterly clueless in dealing with the change.
This.

The most galling aspect of this was that Bothroyd was considered a doubt up until the day itself, yet there was no apparent plan on how to deal with the prospect of him not lasting 90 minutes. It fell to Kelvin Etuhu, a player who has since never played as a target man, to fill Bothroyd's shoes, rather than consider alternative tactics/formations to suit a likely replacement.

Despite all of this, we still should have got something out of the second half. I think we rattled the woodwork twice. That side would have stayed in the Premier League had it gone up that season.

I think the disappointment came from failing to beat a team most of us were expecting to beat. I know I didn't consider any other result, I was that confident. Reading, a year later, was entirely expected. Bellamy had dragged results from us in the end of season run in while we were playing poorly, and so when he was crocked, there was absolutely no surprise that we'd be in for another capitulation. I think that Reading 2nd leg was the most angry I've been after a match as a City fan.