+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fao Sludge re: Homeless

Re: Fao Sludge re: Homeless

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Why is Sludge absent from this discussion? He's definitely not knelt in silent prayer at Mary Magdalene's church following that unsavoury incident the other week involving Gertrude the organist and a knockwurst sausage, and it's way too cold for a spot of dogging.
    I have just awoken after a night of metal

Homelessness is a very complex issue , there are people begging and taking the piss but they are in a minority

My view is give them the benefit of the doubt and lob em a quid , if they are genuine then great , if they are con artists then no doubt one day they will get lifted

As for homeless provision , there is often so much violence , drinking , drug abuse and exploitation going on around the homeless shelters that some people feel safer on the streets and others are so ill mentally they can't cope with the environment

That's contrary to what I've been told so many times by those on the front line. They said do not under any circumstances give cash to a beggar... offer to buy them food or drink because that can't be exchanged for drugs or alcohol. Donate to homeless charities instead.
    Well I used to work on the frontline of homelessness and I was never told that , ever

If someone gets enough money to get their fix of alcohol or drugs from begging rather than beating someone up outside a cashpoint or breaking into someone's house then I see no real problem , it's just a quid , if you want to walk past , then walk past

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well I used to work on the frontline of homelessness and I was never told that , ever

If someone gets enough money to get their fix of alcohol or drugs from begging rather than beating someone up outside a cashpoint or breaking into someone's house then I see no real problem , it's just a quid , if you want to walk past , then walk past
    Maybe things have changed since then. What I stated re advice from those involved today is accurate and is often repeated by charity bosses. I can - and will if you desire - post plenty of links where their words are quoted.

Maybe things have changed since then. What I stated re advice from those involved today is accurate and is often repeated by charity bosses. I can - and will if you desire - post plenty of links where their words are quoted.
    Go ahead , it makes no difference , the charities and the council's can't be seen to condone begging but those who have worked in the sector know the score

i allways look at how clean their hands are and the state of their trainers.I never walk past with out giving if they look down.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    i allways look at how clean their hands are and the state of their trainers.I never walk past with out giving if they look down.
    It's a free country mate , there are aggressive people out there and some can be a pain the arse but compared to street robbery of cash , mobiles etc with knives , which is a growing problem in cities , the issue of who is homeless and who isn't pales into insignificance

People sat down with a cup in their hand are a different breed and less of a plague than the mobile scammers who bowl up to people, usually the elderly and others they perceive to be weak, asking for money to make up their bus fare and the like. Sure, if those who aren't intimated choose to give them money then that's their business, but in most cases they may as well give directly to drug dealers 'cos that's where the dough's heading.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Go ahead , it makes no difference , the charities and the council's can't be seen to condone begging but those who have worked in the sector know the score
    The following links cover charities: Salvation Army, Changing Lives, St Mungos and Thamesreach https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/...patrickwintour https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/201...ess-charities/ https://www.ft.com/content/f2e25252-...6-12672483791a http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...backs-10496545

Who is and who isn't does make a difference to me. Was talking to my old girl about the homeless before, mentioned that in Manchester there are fakes out there and a large percent in Manchester aren't homeless, some have homes and some do it from sheer desperation for drugs. Spice is a huge issue in Manchester. A couple in a pub told me to not be so naive when dishing out change as I would give to most of them I saw..since then I've been more wary and judgmental and my old girl said I shouldn't be...
    Was a girl in ponty town centre the other week not been there before or since..smackhead on the off chance begging for cash.
    Eastern European woman with a big issue..
    2 eastern Europeans Saturday eother side of town begging..I honestly laughed in the blokes face as I walked past..may seem harsh but people are bottoming on how to deceive the public..gang on smackheads been sat outside M&S all hours..ain't been seen for weeks after a 2 week stint begging for cash...likely people caught on and stopped giving so they ****ed off.
    Feel for the genuine ones I do. Was a bloke outside BK in cardoff the other week my daughter suggested buying him some food, went out and he had moved on because some woman told him to get a job. Food in hand we looked and couldn't find him...bet he felt heartbroken..what an evil ****ing ****...

Big Issue sellers are the pushiest of the lot. I just tell them I’ve already bought the latest issue.

Don’t get me started on Eastern European big issue sellers. Had to tell one “No” three times in the space of about 2 minutes yesterday outside the Co-Op.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Big Issue sellers are the pushiest of the lot. I just tell them I’ve already bought the latest issue.

Don’t get me started on Eastern European big issue sellers. Had to tell one “No” three times in the space of about 2 minutes yesterday outside the Co-Op.
    You talking Pentrebach? I usually buy a copy from her as she's not pushy at all? Are you sure it's not you? You do have a habit from what I read on here in encountering the most difficult of people.

p.s. The big issue seller in Merthyr sports a Liverpool scarf so that's him ****ed.

Of course they haven't got a vested interest in trying to ensure we give their charities our money?

A guy in Bath has a great bit of " patter " , he walks upto ladies and says " did you hear what he just said to me "

No is the reply ( he already has them hooked, they have engaged him )

He told me to F off and go and get a job you bum ( is his reply )

Ohhhh is the female reply while fishing around in her purse / bag for some money

I watched he say the same thing 3 times last Wednesday to different people, he was getting decent results, the christmas market means people are coming to Bath from all over

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Of course they haven't got a vested interest in trying to ensure we give their charities our money?
    Sure. Some of the 167,000 registered UK charities are huge businesses many of whose CEOs are on £150k per year and above.

I wonder if any of them spend every penny of donations on their chosen cause? What I mean is that every helper is an unpaid volunteer and that they eat the admin costs and other expenses from their own pockets so that they not only invest their time for free but also donate their money too.

Of course he's not going to admit it , he will get a block Grant from the city council , as do the housing charities in Cardiff , they don't want to rock the boat

The big issue was founded by John bird who was an avid supporter of the right to buy council housing , a lot of people in housing don't have a lot of time for him

Anyway I have given £100 to the appeal to fund an emergency helpline for homeless youngsters in Cardiff so my conscience is crystal clear

People can either argue the toss on here or do something about it

Heisenberg

No idea. But understand from an informed source that the Salvation Army joint is never full. There's another hostel too, Huggard something it's known by.
    You're thinking of Ty Tresilian (Salvation Army) and the Huggard Centre.

Ty Tresilian is a longer-term hostel, the Huggard tends to be for 1 or 2 nights at most and both are full on a regular basis . The street homeless cannot just turn up and expect floor space (the chances of a bed in the Huggard are slim to none as far as I'm aware) in these places. There is a process that needs to be completed before you can even get through the door.

You need to present at Housing Options and make a homeless application - before finding out if there's room for you at a hostel that evening. Become homeless after 4pm or on a weekend? You're f**ked unless you're under 21 as there are no services in Cardiff readily available to help you escape sleeping on the street that evening.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Ty Tresilian is a longer-term hostel, the Huggard tends to be for 1 or 2 nights at most and both are full on a regular basis . The street homeless cannot just turn up and expect floor space (the chances of a bed in the Huggard are slim to none as far as I'm aware) in these places. There is a process that needs to be completed before you can even get through the door.

You need to present at Housing Options and make a homeless application - before finding out if there's room for you at a hostel that evening. Become homeless after 4pm or on a weekend? You're f**ked unless you're under 21 as there are no services in Cardiff readily available to help you escape sleeping on the street that evening.

Hope that helps.
    I doubt it very much mate , you are wasting your time on here with the housing and substance misuse experts

The wallich Clifford community used to have a hostel off Newport road but again access was far from an easy walk in

Hope that helps.
    You may wish to relay your remarks to Labour's Lynda Thorne from Cardiff Council who states unambiguously in the OP link that: “We are determined to help the genuine homeless and end rough sleeping in the city. People ask if we’re doing enough to help these individuals but I want everyone to know that there is no need to sleep outside at night..."

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    entry to our country without a prospect of a job and finance to support
    Not sure where you get this from, but this is a common misconception. Freedom of movement doesn't mean anyone from any part of the EU can come into Britain and do what they like. Immigrants that are EU citizens need a promise of work in order to be able to live here - they can't simply turn up and hope to find a job. They are also excluded from receiving benefits for a qualifying period, so they can't come over here and get their hands on money (different rules for asylum seekers, but we're not talking about them).

Also, an EU citizen out of work for 3 months in a country of which they are not a citizen (maybe passport holder too, don't know) can be legally sent back to their own country. Austria is an example of a country which enforces this rule pretty heavily by all accounts.

Basically, if there are issues with immigration of EU citizens in the UK, it's because of failings at our end which our government are in a position to sort out.

You may wish to relay your remarks to Labour's Lynda Thorne from Cardiff Council who states unambiguously in the OP link that: “We are determined to help the genuine homeless and end rough sleeping in the city. People ask if we’re doing enough to help these individuals but I want everyone to know that there is no need to sleep outside at night..."
    When I worked in housing in Cardiff it was exactly the same , the city council would try to paint a nice pretty picture but the charities working on the front line knew the score

In fact the organisation I worked for was a voluntary sector version of the old council run housing help centre on st Mary Street

We were very successful at giving advice and help to the homeless and badly housed

So good in fact that the council housing department put pressure on the council and they shut us down

The one time councillor Kevin Brennan announced we were closing in the echo before we had even been given confirmation as staff that we were losing our jobs

He's an MP now

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not sure where you get this from, but this is a common misconception. Freedom of movement doesn't mean anyone from any part of the EU can come into Britain and do what they like. Immigrants that are EU citizens need a promise of work in order to be able to live here - they can't simply turn up and hope to find a job. They are also excluded from receiving benefits for a qualifying period, so they can't come over here and get their hands on money (different rules for asylum seekers, but we're not talking about them).

Also, an EU citizen out of work for 3 months in a country of which they are not a citizen (maybe passport holder too, don't know) can be legally sent back to their own country. Austria is an example of a country which enforces this rule pretty heavily by all accounts.

Basically, if there are issues with immigration of EU citizens in the UK, it's because of failings at our end which our government are in a position to sort out.
    I was told bt a Romanian that they get round it by registering as a business, slef employed, then the whole family sells big issues.
    What I can't get my head round is if the big issue is for genuinely homeless, why does the nmanagement allow the immigrants to sell it, given what the previous poster stated as fact.where they came from if the are not making a decent contribution to society.
    I know a guy that sells it on Queenn St. He is a licenced street trader, isn't homelees and to my knowledge never has been.

Qualification to become a Big Issue seller: https://www.bigissue.org.uk/our-vend...-become-vendor

Homeless or rough sleeping
    In temporary accommodation
    In danger of losing a home
    Unemployed and facing financial crisis

Heisenberg

I don't need to, the Council are more than aware that not enough is being done to prevent homelessness and there are going to be further cuts to frontline prevention services coming up thanks to the ring-fencing of 'Supporting People' funding ending in the next year or so. Add that to the clusterf**k of Universal Credit coming in... and... it's going to be bleak to say the least.

Just thought I'd add some first hand knowledge and experience to a thread where people (including you) seem to think that all rough sleepers are out on the streets by choice. A small percentage are, in honesty, due to the fact that the homeless hostels you mentioned are not the best, safest, places in the world for vulnerable people - not matter how good the staff are.

I don't need to, the Council are more than aware that not enough is being done to prevent homelessness and there are going to be further cuts to frontline prevention services coming up thanks to the ring-fencing of 'Supporting People' funding ending in the next year or so. Add that to the clusterf**k of Universal Credit coming in... and... it's going to be bleak to say the least.

Just thought I'd add some first hand knowledge and experience to a thread where people (including you) seem to think that all rough sleepers are out on the streets by choice. A small percentage are, in honesty, due to the fact that the homeless hostels you mentioned are not the best, safest, places in the world for vulnerable people - not matter how good the staff are.
    Indeed , very hostile environments

So you are implying that a Labour councillor from a Labour led Council is being less than truthful. I interpreted her remarks as meaning there's adequate provision for no-one to have to sleep rough but we can't help those who choose not to help themselves.