+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team spirit and the January transfer window

Team spirit and the January transfer window

When you read comments like this from Sean Morrison,

"The belief in the team is incredible now. The changing room is on a different level. There are 25/26 lads that would run through a wall for each other. We’ve got a long way to go but we’re on the right track."

You wonder what we need to do in January to strengthen for a tough run to the end of the season and not upset the spirit that this bunch currently have under Neil Warnock.

The last thing we need is disruption in the dressing room.

International

Re: Team spirit and the January transfer window

I think if December goes as well as we all think/hope it will then we won't need to change anything.
    The squad has proved that they can cover injuries to apparently indespensible players in both midfield and in front. 4 from 4 doesn't lie.
    We have depth at the back too which I believe could cover anything but the most unforseen injury crisis.

We have plyers coming back whilst some teams are losing them. Not a bad place to be.

Feeney's loan is up in January and Warnock said last week that he expects Pilkington to move in the window too.

If those two are replaced - Pilks with a central midfielder and Feeney with a better winger - and if Kadeem Harris, Ken Zohore, Jazz Richards and Rhys Healey are back in the mix - we will be fine.

We have a solid back four with cover midfield looking good with plenty of cover 3 strikers who look like either one can do the business the only spot that looks short is out wide to cover junior and NML if Harris is due back January we're looking ok imo

An upgrade on Feeney wouldn’t go amiss

Interesting dilemma. I've previously thought Warnock would have negotiated authority from Tan to strengthen if we're still in it come Jan 1 but I now share the belief of most on here that it would be stupid to disturb what is clearly a great spirit among the squad.

Having said that, I also believe NW wouldn't entertain bringing in anyone in that is likely to break the spell. January is the time when most teams have their squads sorted and I'd bet the manager has already worked what might be needed and might become available to strengthen the squad with no risk of upsetting the applecart. And if someone did come in, they would surely be expected to work for a place and wait their chance.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Feeney's loan is up in January and Warnock said last week that he expects Pilkington to move in the window too.

If those two are replaced - Pilks with a central midfielder and Feeney with a better winger - and if Kadeem Harris, Ken Zohore, Jazz Richards and Rhys Healey are back in the mix - we will be fine.
    Why would we need to replace Pilks when he isn't in the first team squad anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why would we need to replace Pilks when he isn't in the first team squad anyway?
    I would be happier if we had another central midfield option. Fine if Gunnar, Ralls, Damour and Bryson are all fit, in form and not suspended - and with Sol able to play DM. But I don't think Bryson suits every game, I would prefer Sol to be used as a CB, and we have already seen games where we look short on options/cover.

Pilks hasn't been in the 11 or 18 but he has been taking a wage - one that might be used to improve the squad.

Still think we need a striker.

And on the subject of newcomer/s maybe rocking the dressing room, p'raps we need to factor in the influence of Bamba and Halford (and probably many more) who know exactly how to manage players

Another midfielder wouldn't go amiss

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    An upgrade on Feeney wouldn’t go amiss
    I think that will be our one proper incoming. Someone affordable, probably with their contract winding down. Think that will be it barring a big player sale of a first teamer.

I agree on the face of it with a fully fit squad we dont need anyone, unless Messi becomes available!
    Having said that you do need a statement of intent in January. A winger and midfield. Unless you are going to spend trillions on another striker, which we havent got, i think that will be it.

I would be happier if we had another central midfield option. Fine if Gunnar, Ralls, Damour and Bryson are all fit, in form and not suspended - and with Sol able to play DM. But I don't think Bryson suits every game, I would prefer Sol to be used as a CB, and we have already seen games where we look short on options/cover.

Pilks hasn't been in the 11 or 18 but he has been taking a wage - one that might be used to improve the squad.
    Warnock indicated recently that Pilks will be gone in January. That will free up a wage bill for a winger/midfield.

Isn't Feeney's loan up in January? If so I wouldn't mind Harry Wilson or Ben Woodburn on loan to replace him

Tomlin is still very much under used , the bloke is class

We don't need to be spending big for success

Bournemouth , Burnley and Watford should give us all the evidence we need

A fighting , all for one attitude is what Warnock has brought us

We need cover for Bennett. Who was the left back we were allegedly linked to from a Div 1 team in the summer?

A proper defensive midfielder to cover Gunnarsson would also be good as I don't like us playing Bamba in there as he's better at Centre Back. It might also mean Tomlin gets more game time if we have someone more defensively minded in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    We need cover for Bennett. Who was the left back we were allegedly linked to from a Div 1 team in the summer?

A proper defensive midfielder to cover Gunnarsson would also be good as I don't like us playing Bamba in there as he's better at Centre Back. It might also mean Tomlin gets more game time if we have someone more defensively minded in midfield.
    Some guy from Fleetwood from memory

[QUOTE=jeremy corbyn;4814760]I agree on the face of it with a fully fit squad we dont need anyone, unless Messi becomes available!

But who would he replace,

International

[QUOTE=Philbccfc;4815189]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I agree on the face of it with a fully fit squad we dont need anyone, unless Messi becomes available!

But who would he replace,
    you always ask the tricky questions>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Still think we need a quality midfield creative player.
    If we simply refuse to play Tomlin, then we need someone who can play better quality passes to our front runners.
    Yes we came back to beat Norwich 3-1 but it was tooth pulling as the majority of the time we hoofed it forward into the air.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post

JR is right, it was Amari'i Bell of Fleetwood. According to transfermarkt is contract is ending next summer so it could be an option.

https://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/team...r/amarii-bell/

Think we would need to move on a full back if so to make way. We have three registered RBs as well as Bennett. I see Bennett as the most likely of our squad to comfortably make the step up to the PL. It is a worry that he has that £2m release clause in his contract on top of his age and form. Would love to see him sign a new contract with us but we would probably have to wait until the summer and see what our wage budget is going to be.

A 20 a season striker would be great, if he could squeeze them in before the end of this season, that would be great

Isn’t that Rolf Feltcsher guy we signed able to play left back ? Plus peltier and Jazz can play there too.

I’d like to see an enth youngster come in with a point to prove. That being said , with Harris due back soon , could he be used on the right ? Or even Danny ward ?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Isn’t that Rolf Feltcsher guy we signed able to play left back ? Plus peltier and Jazz can play there too.

I’d like to see an enth youngster come in with a point to prove. That being said , with Harris due back soon , could he be used on the right ? Or even Danny ward ?
    Rolf is contracted till Jan. We don't really need a LB as we are. I'll be delighted if we keep Bennett beyond the window.

Even with Kadeem coming back, the wing is the one place we can't take injuries. We need another body there. Ward played on the wings apparently for Rotherham. Doesn't look to natural a fit to me though. Could Bogle play out wide?