+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football's worst ever referee

Football's worst ever referee

It's a close call for me

Clive Thomas loved the limelight , Graeme Poll was a plonker but for all round general hopelessness it's got to be Uriah Rennie

The way he used to run around like a headless chicken will stay with me forever

A legend in his own lunchtime , he took the idea of a self obsessed celebrity ref to a whole new level

Mind you he wasn't to be messed with , a karate black belt

Re: Football's worst ever referee

That one who sent off McCormack and Gyepes at Ninian Park

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    That one who sent off McCormack and Gyepes at Ninian Park
    Yes fair play he was crap

As was clattenburg who sent off one of ours for a fair challenge to take us down to nine men against Leeds a few years back

We still held on to beat the useless gits though

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's a close call for me

Clive Thomas loved the limelight , Graeme Poll was a plonker but for all round general hopelessness it's got to be Uriah Rennie

The way he used to run around like a headless chicken will stay with me forever

A legend in his own lunchtime , he took the idea of a self obsessed celebrity ref to a whole new level

Mind you he wasn't to be messed with , a karate black belt
    Shapter, Knight, Singh. Sounds like a reputable solicitor firm, but you wouldn't put these three in charge of anything.

Singh once credited a goal to Andy Legg - direct from a throw in. Game was on TV and he confirmed at half time that no one touched the ball after Legg threw it.

Clangerburg. A man so far up his own backside he can do his own prostate exams. Case in point: https://www.theguardian.com/football...cester-chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Shapter, Knight, Singh. Sounds like a reputable solicitor firm, but you wouldn't put these three in charge of anything.

Singh once credited a goal to Andy Legg - direct from a throw in. Game was on TV and he confirmed at half time that no one touched the ball after Legg threw it.
    Singh was dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Clangerburg. A man so far up his own backside he can do his own prostate exams. Case in point: https://www.theguardian.com/football...cester-chelsea
    Cripes

Barry Knight.

First game I took my eldest son to was against Cambridge back in about 1999.

Probably the worst performance I‘ve ever seen from a ref.

So bad that at the final whistle some bloke ran onto the pitch to give him a clout - almost got him too before a steward pounced.

We came home, my missus says to my lad “did you enjoy it” to which my son replies “it was great mam, the ref was rubbish, everyone was shouting swear words at him and at the end a man ran on the pitch to beat him up. Can I go next week?”

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Barry Knight.

So bad that at the final whistle some bloke ran onto the pitch to give him a clout - almost got him too before a steward pounced.

We came home, my missus says to my lad “did you enjoy it” to which my son replies “it was great mam, the ref was rubbish, everyone was shouting swear words at him and at the end a man ran on the pitch to beat him up. Can I go next week?”
    Was that when we shipped six ?

Some shocking racist chanting towards the black Cambridge striker , they should have been bawling at the ref

Some shocking racist chanting towards the black Cambridge striker , they should have been bawling at the ref
    Pretty sure we lost 1-0.

My (pretty shitty) memory tells me Knight missed about 4 blatant penalties for handball, amongst other things.

Edit: just checked and it looks like it was 1998.

Pretty sure we lost 1-0.

My (pretty shitty) memory tells me Knight missed about 4 blatant penalties for handball, amongst other things.

Edit: just checked and it looks like it was 1998.
    You are right

The game I am thinking of was in the mid nineties

Urriah Rennie. First football ref to have an agent. Don't believe your hype.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Urriah Rennie. First football ref to have an agent. Don't believe your hype.
    Didn't he have his own website too ?

What a pillock

Didn't he have his own website too ?

What a pillock
    I dunno. As mentioned he was a black belt. You wouldn't usually know anything about a ref other than the tiny biopic in a programme listing where they live n when they started. Not this guy. So you are onto something. I thought he wanted to be on gladiators as well. I could be wrong.

Allcock was the worst stander upper.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I dunno. As mentioned he was a black belt. You wouldn't usually know anything about a ref other than the tiny biopic in a programme listing where they live n when they started. Not this guy. So you are onto something. I thought he wanted to be on gladiators as well. I could be wrong.
    He was handy

It wasn’t that game and it was 7-2

Gernham Singh always refereed us in the 1990s

Barry Knight.

He sent Mike Ford off, they scored from the resultant free kick and he finished it off by joining with the Cambridge players celebrations and ran back with them to the half way line

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Gernham Singh always refereed us in the 1990s
    He was shit but shit for both sides

The worst anti City ref that I’ve ever seen was Lester Shapter he reffed us loads of times at Ninian and I can’t remember winning a game with him in charge

Has to be Clattenburg. Way too into himself.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Has to be Clattenburg. Way too into himself.
    Loves himself but was a very good referee.

Keith Stroud at our level.

Close call between Phil Dowd and Mike Dean in the Premier League. Arrogant tw@ts.

Back in the 60's and 70's there used to be a collective groan from those around us when someone announced that the ref would be David Smith from Stonehouse.

We used to get him a lot for welsh cup games, mainly I think because he lived so close.

Had his fair share of league games at Ninian as well, probably for the same reason.