+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some of the things the club are doing to boost crowds

Re: Some of the things the club are doing to boost crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    We used to say the same in the 90s and 00s. I'm staggered the club have only ever given lip service to such schemes.
    I remember it being mentioned many times in the past, however, things are very different, as is the city of Cardiff. It never ceases to amaze me how busy the city is these days, even evening times after work. It used to be dead until people came clubbing but not anymore. Plenty of families out, old young etc....it’s a growing city, a booming place, people with money, which lets be honest you need to follow football as it’s not cheap to take a family for a game is it?
    A city pushing towards 400,000 people, growing every week and what do the club do to remind all these people? They send coaches to the valleys!!!
    Not knocking the valleys, but we already have what I consider good loyal support from these areas, areas that aren’t flush with cash or booming either.
    Are they blind to what’s on the doorstep?

He said it when crowds were 26000. Crowds are now 16000. Let's not change the chronology of events - if he'd said it when crowds were 15000 fair enough.
    You kept going the season we went Red.
    Stop taking the moral high ground as you did nothing. 96 of us gave our tickets back and it cost us a £30 admin fee.
    Your excuse that you couldn't afford to give it back is bollocks as you would have spent more than that travelling. You did nothing.

Some of us came back others didn't, cest la vie. I think the fact you are on here posting in City related matters means you want to go back down, but you don't want to cut your nose off to spite your face.

Also if the crowds pick up, the pressure will increase and we have form for bottling it then. Keep the crowds low I say

I think most people are over analysing this. Crowds traditionally drop away in the 4-6 week period before Christmas, as there is considerable pressure on time and finances during this time of year. If we carry on being sucessful they will grow again in the new year and the ground will be full if we are still top four in April. Our attendances are still well above what they were last season and the year before.

He said it when crowds were 26000. Crowds are now 16000. Let's not change the chronology of events - if he'd said it when crowds were 15000 fair enough.
    Yes he did. But where do you think those extra 10,000 people came from that weren't going when we were playing in blue?
    Do you think, just maybe, they suddenly appeared when it looked like we'd get promoted and be able to watch Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea?
    Certainly the hospitality boxes were rammed during the premiership

My point is that before the rebrand we had about 15,000. We rebranded, were cantering to promotion and had a seaon in the prem where crowds sudenly went up by 10,000 coincidence?

We then got relegated, and crowds quickly returned to pre-rebrand, pre-promotion contending, numbers.

I'm sure there are still some who continue to boycott/have lost interest, but 10,000 of them?? Give me a break.

We're playing in Blue, the team spirit is great, the football is entertaining (despite what Wolves would have you believe) and it feels more like "our" club again.

Do yourself a favour, get down there, watch a game and see how you feel. You will be welcomed back with open arms. If you don't enjoy it or feel comfortable with it then fine.

But honestly, there is no way that 10,000 people stopped going because we played in red for a couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I believe a big part of the problem is ignorance. I’ve said before on here that, on many occasions, I have been met with genuine surprise when I’ve told people that my season ticket works out at £13 a game and the kids one at just over £2 a game. As far as prices and deals go the club are really trying, but the only place I’ve ever seen it advertised outside of the stadium is on Facebook.

I think what would help is a blanket awareness campaign across the City. Radio adverts, Flyers, billboards, buses, trains, posters in pubs and shops, City players visiting schools and turning up at kids football training / matches etc etc
    Good post. Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Good post. Agree 100%.
    And me

Apart from the advertising of games and tickets I reckon th8ngs are really good at the club these day, better and more stable than I can ever recall I think. I don’t think we were ever stable under Sam h, and before that we didn’t have 10 pence in the bank.
    A cursory look down west at the meltdown should make us all feel quite fortunate at the mo, they gave it to us in bucketloads about selling out and hedge fund foreign owners and now look at them, spunking 75 million on dross and a crap team and manager. I’d love to draw them here in fa cup for the first time in years....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Apart from the advertising of games and tickets I reckon th8ngs are really good at the club these day, better and more stable than I can ever recall I think. I don’t think we were ever stable under Sam h, and before that we didn’t have 10 pence in the bank.
    A cursory look down west at the meltdown should make us all feel quite fortunate at the mo, they gave it to us in bucketloads about selling out and hedge fund foreign owners and now look at them, spunking 75 million on dross and a crap team and manager. I’d love to draw them here in fa cup for the first time in years....
    I can agree with all of that

All these ticket offers are great etc for people who don't have a ST.

Just seen the price of bolton tickets - £30. With qpr always an expensive one as well, wonder if the club have considered putting on free coaches for this one? At an expensive time of year I guess it'd be most welcome, plus probably be a big uptake with families able to go for relatively little.

Having a good number at bolton would be a huge advantage whereas at the moment I'd be surprised if we topped 600 unfortunately.

It's a shame that the gloryhuntus plasticus did not breed in sufficient numbers to replace the principalus boycotterus. Isn't it a pity that the easilyus replacedus were named incorrectly and are now known as the wemissus themus terribulus.
    Do you think you're a principalus boycotterus? Because we all remember you saying the colour of the shirts didn't matter and keeping your season ticket for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post

Just seen the price of bolton tickets - £30. With qpr always an expensive one as well, wonder if the club have considered putting on free coaches for this one? At an expensive time of year I guess it'd be most welcome, plus probably be a big uptake with families able to go for relatively little.

Having a good number at bolton would be a huge advantage whereas at the moment I'd be surprised if we topped 600 unfortunately.

Gold QPR tickets are £33

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Gold QPR tickets are £33
    Fair play Tony, that's not bad if they're real gold 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Yes he did. But where do you think those extra 10,000 people came from that weren't going when we were playing in blue?
    Do you think, just maybe, they suddenly appeared when it looked like we'd get promoted and be able to watch Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea?
    Certainly the hospitality boxes were rammed during the premiership

My point is that before the rebrand we had about 15,000. We rebranded, were cantering to promotion and had a seaon in the prem where crowds sudenly went up by 10,000 coincidence?

We then got relegated, and crowds quickly returned to pre-rebrand, pre-promotion contending, numbers.

I'm sure there are still some who continue to boycott/have lost interest, but 10,000 of them?? Give me a break.

We're playing in Blue, the team spirit is great, the football is entertaining (despite what Wolves would have you believe) and it feels more like "our" club again.

Do yourself a favour, get down there, watch a game and see how you feel. You will be welcomed back with open arms. If you don't enjoy it or feel comfortable with it then fine.

But honestly, there is no way that 10,000 people stopped going because we played in red for a couple of seasons.
    You appear to be adding things to my post that I have not actually said myself.

If an owner comes out into the national press and says he can cope with losing 25% of the fanbase (which, at the time, was 26,000) it has quite a significant effect. Have you ever heard a CEO make such claims in other industries?

The fact is, Tan made that statement when crowds were 26,000. He didn't make the statement when the club were averaging 15,000. It's his attitude during those years that has, effectively, driven people away. Where did I say that the rebrand was the reason for people staying away? People were boycotting over the rebrand, over Tan's antics, over Slade, over Trollope. Many on this board said that the stay aways would not be missed. How wrong they were.

I am not contemplating attending a game until Tan leaves. I have not put a penny into the club since March 2012. I gave the club a chance following the rebrand (I really thought that the fans would be vociferous, and I wanted to be a part of that). Tan won't get a penny out of me - that's what makes me comfortable. I'll start going to games once he's left - but he's kicked my habit and I doubt I will ever hold a season ticket again.

Tan achieved something quite remarkable. My granddad started watching games in 1945, he may even have seen some games during the war. from 1945-2013 there was someone from my family at a game, regardless of which league they were in. From 1986-2000 there were three generations of us at every home game - regardless of division, manager, owner. I honestly couldn't tell you who they are playing Saturday - I doubt if my old man can either. My old man, pre illness, left work early to watch Cardiff v Exeter in the LDV. This is anecdotal, but it is significant. Tan still seems to be exempt from blame for the low crowds. Why?

You appear to be adding things to my post that I have not actually said myself.

If an owner comes out into the national press and says he can cope with losing 25% of the fanbase (which, at the time, was 26,000) it has quite a significant effect. Have you ever heard a CEO make such claims in other industries?

The fact is, Tan made that statement when crowds were 26,000. He didn't make the statement when the club were averaging 15,000. It's his attitude during those years that has, effectively, driven people away. Where did I say that the rebrand was the reason for people staying away? People were boycotting over the rebrand, over Tan's antics, over Slade, over Trollope. Many on this board said that the stay aways would not be missed. How wrong they were.

I am not contemplating attending a game until Tan leaves. I have not put a penny into the club since March 2012. I gave the club a chance following the rebrand (I really thought that the fans would be vociferous, and I wanted to be a part of that). Tan won't get a penny out of me - that's what makes me comfortable. I'll start going to games once he's left - but he's kicked my habit and I doubt I will ever hold a season ticket again.

Tan achieved something quite remarkable. My granddad started watching games in 1945, he may even have seen some games during the war. from 1945-2013 there was someone from my family at a game, regardless of which league they were in. From 1986-2000 there were three generations of us at every home game - regardless of division, manager, owner. I honestly couldn't tell you who they are playing Saturday - I doubt if my old man can either. My old man, pre illness, left work early to watch Cardiff v Exeter in the LDV. This is anecdotal, but it is significant. Tan still seems to be exempt from blame for the low crowds. Why?
    It feels like I’m banging my head against a wall here, but one last time.

You’re now saying that it’s not the rebrand that has driven people away????

My point, my ONLY point is that a few years ago we were averaging 15,000 a game.
    We then had a promotion push and eventual promotion where crowds rose to a 40 year record of 26,000.
    We then got relegated and crowds subsequently dropped back to where they were.

If we do go up, I’d expect to see crowds back up to 25,000.

My conclusion is that irrespective of what tan said or did, 10,000 fans came and went because of our promotion and relegation. Personally give me 15,000 fans who want to support city any day, the 10,000 who want to watch Liverpool can watch it in the pub for all I care.

Fwiw I hated the red, I made damn sure I wore blue to every game, I joined in the “always be blue” chant. I honestly believe that did more to reverse the rebrand than any boycott.

What the **** does the past matter when the futures looking so bright?
    Like the sad old bloke down the pub who still talks about his missus cheating on him in July 1984. **** sake let it go

If the crowds come back great. If not then sludge was right all along.

Maybe this is the case.
    Living in Cardiff I often think that apart from those who are going anyway, most people would be un aware of a game even going on. There are tens of thousands of people walking through the city centre every day and nowhere advertising Cardiff City or selling tickets? Surely a small booth or outlet in another store etc would cost that much to run. Always think we are missing a trick in getting our very lazy fan base to come.....
    Do you remember the guy who went around putting flyers on lampost s n phone kiosks when City signed David Hurst on loan. He did a better job of publishing the fact that City had signed a prem league forward than the club did. Things have improved but they could improve again. You are spot on.

I know you desperately want that to be true, but it just isn’t.

Ten years ago, without a red shirt in sight, we were averaging 15,000, less than this season. In fact you have to go back to the early 70’s before average attendences were where they are now. This is a fact.

Attendances only started going up when it looked like city might be going up.
    They went down again when we went down again.

The figures just don’t support your assertion I’m afraid. It really is that simple.

I would argue that we’ve lost about 7,000 glory hunters who appeared in our championship winning season, with any who stayed being cancelled out by boycotters.

Mate of mine who is a long term fan that boycotted is getting a half season ticket.

The club is doing everything that it can to encourage new, and old, fans to come to games. If those fans still don’t want to, then, with regret, that’s their loss.
    We have always had the " big game charlies " and " glory hunters ", every team has them

Which means if / when we get back to the Prem league, they will come flooding back, I am afraid that we have seen the Championship now for so long, it holds no glamour for the BGC's and GH's, so they simple do not attend

Some of the boycotters will move on and find something else to do ( some will post on a message board dedicated to Cardiff city football club, a strange one that ) or they will decide, enough is enough and pop down the CCS and see what it is like now

as we are seeing with the Jacks, the money from the fans is fairly small fry compared to the riches of the EPL, We know that the ground will be packed full if we get back to the EPL, fickle fans eh `

The only time I see Cardiff City being advertised is inside the CCS, we're preaching to the converted

It feels like I’m banging my head against a wall here, but one last time.

You’re now saying that it’s not the rebrand that has driven people away????

My point, my ONLY point is that a few years ago we were averaging 15,000 a game.
    We then had a promotion push and eventual promotion where crowds rose to a 40 year record of 26,000.
    We then got relegated and crowds subsequently dropped back to where they were.

If we do go up, I’d expect to see crowds back up to 25,000.

My conclusion is that irrespective of what tan said or did, 10,000 fans came and went because of our promotion and relegation. Personally give me 15,000 fans who want to support city any day, the 10,000 who want to watch Liverpool can watch it in the pub for all I care.

Fwiw I hated the red, I made damn sure I wore blue to every game, I joined in the “always be blue” chant. I honestly believe that did more to reverse the rebrand than any boycott.
    Think we had average around 22 at the new stadium didn’t we? Not 16, that was at NP.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The only time I see Cardiff City being advertised is inside the CCS, we're preaching to the converted
    Exactly my point, no one but regulars even know we are playing, so how do they hope to find new fans? Marketing dept must be one dusty old room

Think we had average around 22 at the new stadium didn’t we? Not 16, that was at NP.
    Fair point

Moved to the ccs in 2009.

2009–10 20,717
    2010–11 23,193
    2011–12 22,100
    2012–13 22,998
    2013–14 27,429 (Premier League)
    2014–15 21,123
    2015–16 16,255

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post

I think you will be surprised.

A lot of the guys who take coaches away are reporting a lot of interest in that one.
    Our coach is looking healthy already and I don't normally find it filling up until the last minute.

I reckon we will have 1200 hopefully 1500 up there

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It’s estimated that over 80,000 people come into Cardiff to work everyday. There should be advertising on the trains and buses, billboards on Manor Way, Cowbridge Road, Newport Road etc asking people “ what are you doing on Saturday”? Come and support the push for promotion, and a list of upcoming home games and ticket prices.

But the club also needs a much bigger presence in Cardiff. Create a real buzz around the place, make the football club the heart of the City, like it is in places like Newcastle.

Exactly my point, no one but regulars even know we are playing, so how do they hope to find new fans? Marketing dept must be one dusty old room
    I agree it could be improved. The club are having a good go with deals to their credit. Maybe they should cast the net wider as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It’s estimated that over 80,000 people come into Cardiff to work everyday. There should be advertising on the trains and buses, billboards on Manor Way, Cowbridge Road, Newport Road etc asking people “ what are you doing on Saturday”? Come and support the push for promotion, and a list of upcoming home games and ticket prices.

But the club also needs a much bigger presence in Cardiff. Create a real buzz around the place, make the football club the heart of the City, like it is in places like Newcastle.
    Ricky Wright had it bang on, he was a expert at the promo side of it