Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
You appear to be adding things to my post that I have not actually said myself.

If an owner comes out into the national press and says he can cope with losing 25% of the fanbase (which, at the time, was 26,000) it has quite a significant effect. Have you ever heard a CEO make such claims in other industries?

The fact is, Tan made that statement when crowds were 26,000. He didn't make the statement when the club were averaging 15,000. It's his attitude during those years that has, effectively, driven people away. Where did I say that the rebrand was the reason for people staying away? People were boycotting over the rebrand, over Tan's antics, over Slade, over Trollope. Many on this board said that the stay aways would not be missed. How wrong they were.

I am not contemplating attending a game until Tan leaves. I have not put a penny into the club since March 2012. I gave the club a chance following the rebrand (I really thought that the fans would be vociferous, and I wanted to be a part of that). Tan won't get a penny out of me - that's what makes me comfortable. I'll start going to games once he's left - but he's kicked my habit and I doubt I will ever hold a season ticket again.

Tan achieved something quite remarkable. My granddad started watching games in 1945, he may even have seen some games during the war. from 1945-2013 there was someone from my family at a game, regardless of which league they were in. From 1986-2000 there were three generations of us at every home game - regardless of division, manager, owner. I honestly couldn't tell you who they are playing Saturday - I doubt if my old man can either. My old man, pre illness, left work early to watch Cardiff v Exeter in the LDV. This is anecdotal, but it is significant. Tan still seems to be exempt from blame for the low crowds. Why?
It feels like I’m banging my head against a wall here, but one last time.

You’re now saying that it’s not the rebrand that has driven people away????

My point, my ONLY point is that a few years ago we were averaging 15,000 a game.
We then had a promotion push and eventual promotion where crowds rose to a 40 year record of 26,000.
We then got relegated and crowds subsequently dropped back to where they were.

If we do go up, I’d expect to see crowds back up to 25,000.

My conclusion is that irrespective of what tan said or did, 10,000 fans came and went because of our promotion and relegation. Personally give me 15,000 fans who want to support city any day, the 10,000 who want to watch Liverpool can watch it in the pub for all I care.

Fwiw I hated the red, I made damn sure I wore blue to every game, I joined in the “always be blue” chant. I honestly believe that did more to reverse the rebrand than any boycott.