+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Some of the things the club are doing to boost crowds

Re: Some of the things the club are doing to boost crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    The past matters, it always matters. It's amazing, and amusing, that some key events of recent years are being conveniently swept under the carpet in yet another discussion about the piss poor crowds at Cardiff. You can try to disparage my point with the pointless comparison - it would work if I were mentioning it in a thread about who is the best right-back at the club, or my favourite packet of crisps, however I think Tan's antics have had some detrimental effect on the crowds. I am not, despite TH63's assertions, claiming that Tan is responsible for the complete downward spiral of attendances - I think there are many contributing factors. People mention theirs, and I agree with some, disagree with others.

So far, we have blamed
    Too many games
    Too few games
    Russell Slade
    Ticket prices (frozen for 8 years I think)
    Fickle fans (but the club are 2nd, how can fickleness apply here?)

The only point that people seem to contend is my point that some fans are staying away DUE TO Tan's antics. People here disagree, but I have yet to see any poster say they have stopped going because of prices, or because the team are winning fewer games. I have seen people say they have stopped going because of the style of football. I have seen people say that they are not going simply due to Tan's actions (Alfie Sherwood, TLG, Jordi Cule - just a few off the top of my head).

I am not going because Tan is, in my opinion, the most odious owner that the club has had. He deliberately split the fan base in order to push through his reforms, and the only thing that would see me retract that statement is if (when he leaves the club) the club are debt free at the time of his departure. Therefore, by definition, Tan has contributed to at least some of the loss of support (because I would be at the games ordinarily). The only point of contention is, how much.
    Youve hijacked another thread with your agenda. You obviously want to feel you are missed and hurting the club with your absence. Your not on either account. We cant resign Toshack or remove Vincent Tan.

The thread is highlighting all its doing. Weve had huge and record crowds in the past few seasons. The key is getting those back on a regular basis.

Ex fans are that. Its over for them/you. Your choice.
    Its the thousands who still support this club and want long term success through the gates we need back and the club is doing loads.

Brilliant times to be a City fan.

You should move on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Don't think it's anything to do with a lack of advertising myself - people are always aware of when there are cheaper prices or we're playing a team like Villa or Leeds and so we get thousands more turning up than normal.
    I think you've succinctly captured the mind set of those who work at the club. They are not doing nearly enough to attract punters, and are content with the status quo to remain.

Guess it’s just weird then we are a few thousand down on say our 2010 season.....people will always show up to see us play Leeds ever since that game, villa also a big draw and close with a huge away support.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It’s estimated that over 80,000 people come into Cardiff to work everyday. There should be advertising on the trains and buses, billboards on Manor Way, Cowbridge Road, Newport Road etc asking people “ what are you doing on Saturday”? Come and support the push for promotion, and a list of upcoming home games and ticket prices.

But the club also needs a much bigger presence in Cardiff. Create a real buzz around the place, make the football club the heart of the City, like it is in places like Newcastle.
    The saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

Realistically the only thing that will rise attendances is years and years of organic growth from being in the Prem.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Guess it’s just weird then we are a few thousand down on say our 2010 season.....people will always show up to see us play Leeds ever since that game, villa also a big draw and close with a huge away support.
    We are several thousand down on our promotion season.
    Relegation obviously had a big impact.
    No marquee signings , no throwing the chequebook at promotion.
    I think attendances will increase from Boxing Day onwards. Fail to go up and the crowds will probably be down again.
    Club doing all they can I reckon.
    If people dont want to watch a game of football thats up to them. Half time v Norwich I wished I was elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We are several thousand down on our promotion season.
    Relegation obviously had a big impact.
    No marquee signings , no throwing the chequebook at promotion.
    I think attendances will increase from Boxing Day onwards. Fail to go up and the crowds will probably be down again.
    Club doing all they can I reckon.
    If people dont want to watch a game of football thats up to them. Half time v Norwich I wished I was elsewhere.
    After the rebrand I can watch some dire games now that we are back in blue and get some enjoyment out of them.

People also are quick to forget that our attendances were artificially inflated for a few seasons by new ground. Cup finals , premier league football etc.
    This is probably our natural level.
    The 30 odd years we spent in the bottom 2 division means that huge swathes of an entire generation of fans were lost to big clubs. One very forgettable season in the top league is not going to reverse that.
    5-10 years up there and it would likely have a bigger impact on our natural level of support

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    People also are quick to forget that our attendances were artificially inflated for a few seasons by new ground. Cup finals , premier league football etc.
    This is probably our natural level.
    The 30 odd years we spent in the bottom 2 division means that huge swathes of an entire generation of fans were lost to big clubs. One very forgettable season in the top league is not going to reverse that.
    5-10 years up there and it would likely have a bigger impact on our natural level of support
    Nah it was the rebrand.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Nah it was the rebrand.
    I am going to stand alone with this

It was all Tan's fault

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I am going to stand alone with this

It was all Tan's fault
    Ye. Fuk TaN

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I think you've succinctly captured the mind set of those who work at the club. They are not doing nearly enough to attract punters, and are content with the status quo to remain.
    I didn't think I did. I thought I was saying that the missing thousands don't seem to need the club to be putting adverts on buses, on local radio, in papers etc. to find out about offers like the ones that led to those two crowds of 27,000 plus i mentioned earlier in the thread or when we're playing a side like Leeds or Villa - they re all too aware of which games they consider to be worth going to and which ones they don't.