+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chromebook

Chromebook

Looking for a cheap one for my son 12/13” - any recommendations?
    Thanks
    Toady

Re: Chromebook

I have an HP with 4gb of RAM and it is fantastic. So much quicker than a normal laptop, no need for anti virus software and generally a great all round machine. There are cheaper 2gb versions but I haven't tried one of these. The only downside is printing which relies on the cloud.

My mates got an acer he swears by

What's the advantage of a Chromebook over a tablet ?

Thanks guys

Love the chromebook

Very fast startup ( from cold )

Our primary school use them in class, so when my daughter comes home, she can show me what she has done and even finish stuff at home on her own CB, she even took it to her sisters netball training tonight to finish of something she is programming in scratch, the place had wifi so it was the same as being in school / home

Last year about this time, PC world / Curry's had them with 50 quid off, personally i would go with the 14" as its a full keyboard, the 11" while is great to fit in a bag, it has a smaller keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Love the chromebook

Very fast startup ( from cold )

Our primary school use them in class, so when my daughter comes home, she can show me what she has done and even finish stuff at home on her own CB, she even took it to her sisters netball training tonight to finish of something she is programming in scratch, the place had wifi so it was the same as being in school / home

Last year about this time, PC world / Curry's had them with 50 quid off, personally i would go with the 14" as its a full keyboard, the 11" while is great to fit in a bag, it has a smaller keyboard
    What advantage do they have over a tablet ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What advantage do they have over a tablet ?
    If you want it to just surf the net, nothing really, a tablet ticks that box very well

if you want it to do some " office " type stuff, maybe write a homework project, Chrome have the same " programs " as MS OFFICE but they are al saved " online " ( can be saved on the CB itself )

Just think of it as a cheap laptop imho

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    If you want it to just surf the net, nothing really, a tablet ticks that box very well

if you want it to do some " office " type stuff, maybe write a homework project, Chrome have the same " programs " as MS OFFICE but they are al saved " online " ( can be saved on the CB itself )

Just think of it as a cheap laptop imho
    Thanks bm

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Thanks bm
    No drama

Not sure what a Chromebook offers over a similar spec Windows Laptop.
    Price is similar - Laptop can do more and is more configurable. Chromebook I guess can be more straightforward.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/c...oks-vs-windows

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...56146-pdt.html

£180, you will not come close with a Windoze laptop

as i said, its not a regular laptop, but will start up really fast, will surf the web well, you can do all the Office stuff, and use any of the Chrome app's ( have a google, you can run them from your PC to try them out to see if they suit ) , very decent battery life ( think 8 hours for most )

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...56146-pdt.html

Upto 15 hours battery life

^^ you can come more than close - here's just one of .. hundreds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Stream-1...1%3A7167381031

Battery life probably better on the chromebook

Down to personal choice really. No bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    ^^ you can come more than close - here's just one of .. hundreds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Stream-1...1%3A7167381031

Battery life probably better on the chromebook

Down to personal choice really. No bad thing.
    That will do very little more than the CB though, its a very basic Win 10 Laptop and if you are going to surf and just do basic office tasks, then the CB will outperform this Win 10 laptop ( and this win 10 laptop will be only good for surf and basic office stuff )

you only need to look at some of the reviews

Mr B D Leacy
    1.0 out of 5 starsToo slow!
    This is the slowest laptop I have ever had. Bought it just for internet browsing, nothing else and its useless!

Bruh
    1.0 out of 5 starsNot bad, can be slow

Colour: Blue|Size: 14 inch|Verified Purchase
    You get what you pay for, not a bad little laptop but can be a bit slow, sometimes get a not responding from apps like word

A CB isnt for everyone, i guess if you want Win 10 then the CB is limited, though the Chrome apps are very nice to use, dont forget the CB will be optimized to run the chrome apps, where as the cheapo win 10 machine will be attempting to run apps that will be geared to a better spec machine

OK Matt - you ....win. Great!
    Sleep now, Champ.

I have one which I use when travelling. Limited, yes....but never has any problems, it's robust and great if used just for browsing the net and accessing emails. Got it for nothing after the delivery company stated that I had signed for it when I hadn't. Later discovered that my neighbour took it in for me but hadn't seen me at home to tell me.

My daughter updated her Chromebook this evening and the new update includes the " google play store " with all its apps

this a massive step in making the CB a even better bit of kit