+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Reading v Cardiff City match build up

Reading v Cardiff City match build up

Really looking forward to this. Two teams bang in form. I will be giving you lot some abuse(from the safety of the Eamonn Dolan Stand).
    Under Stam if we score first we are almost certain to win. If we concede first we are in big trouble.

Scoring first. Played 42, won 36; draw 3 lose 2
    Conceding first. Played 31, won 2, draw 7, lose 22.(courtesy of Hobnob Anyone)

So the first goal is vital. Our biggest strength are our wingers Barrow and Aluko. Our biggest weakness our strikers. Kermorgant has played really well for us but is just getting back to full fitness and has yet to score this season. Bodvarsson is our reserve striker and is hard working but hardly prolific.
    We are almost certain to be unchanged. After a season of tinkering Stam has finally managed on a settled team
    Likely line up

Mannone GK
    Bacuna. RB
    Gunter. LB (ousted by Bacuna from his usual position)
    Moore. CB
    McShane CB
    Van Den Berg CDM
    Kelly central midfield(Swift would be in the side but injured)
    Edwards central midfield
    Barrow. Right wing
    Aluko. Left wing
    Kermorgant Striker

There won’t be much in this. If we win the play off push is on but you are conceding so few. So for me 1-1.

Re: Reading v Cardiff City match build up

Royals 2- 3 Bloobirds

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Royals 2- 3 Bloobirds
    You’re a bad boy Jeeps. Just to point out we have two current Welsh internationals in our starting line up. I’m sure you will join with me in supporting the mighty Reading FC on Monday night.

Just to add the stat when we score first is 41 games not 42

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Really looking forward to this. Two teams bang in form. I will be giving you lot some abuse(from the safety of the Eamonn Dolan Stand).
    Under Stam if we score first we are almost certain to win. If we concede first we are in big trouble.

Scoring first. Played 42, won 36; draw 3 lose 2
    Conceding first. Played 31, won 2, draw 7, lose 22.(courtesy of Hobnob Anyone)

So the first goal is vital. Our biggest strength are our wingers Barrow and Aluko. Our biggest weakness our strikers. Kermorgant has played really well for us but is just getting back to full fitness and has yet to score this season. Bodvarsson is our reserve striker and is hard working but hardly prolific.
    We are almost certain to be unchanged. After a season of tinkering Stam has finally managed on a settled team
    Likely line up

Mannone GK
    Bacuna. RB
    Gunter. LB (ousted by Bacuna from his usual position)
    Moore. CB
    McShane CB
    Van Den Berg CDM
    Kelly central midfield(Swift would be in the side but injured)
    Edwards central midfield
    Barrow. Right wing
    Aluko. Left wing
    Kermorgant Striker

There won’t be much in this. If we win the play off push is on but you are conceding so few. So for me 1-1.
    Must admit Eamonn Dolan gives a bit more character rather than the compass points of the other stands. Shame about the circumstances! Robin Friday Stand for the South?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Must admit Eamonn Dolan gives a bit more character rather than the compass points of the other stands. Shame about the circumstances! Robin Friday Stand for the South?
    Yes it does. Eamonn Dolan did a great job and died far too young.I can’t ever see there being a Robin Friday Stand. He is still revered by our older supporters but there will be other names that will be ahead in the pecking order. I suspect our Stadium will eventually have a name change. When that happens I can envisage one of our stands being called the John Madejski Stand. Maybe a Steve Coppell Stand one day too.

Yes it does. Eamonn Dolan did a great job and died far too young.I can’t ever see there being a Robin Friday Stand. He is still revered by our older supporters but there will be other names that will be ahead in the pecking order. I suspect our Stadium will eventually have a name change. When that happens I can envisage one of our stands being called the John Madejski Stand. Maybe a Steve Coppell Stand one day too.
    Tongue in cheek for the South. In the same vein perhaps the Duberry Stand though that depends on the state of the grass!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Tongue in cheek for the South. In the same vein perhaps the Duberry Stand though that depends on the state of the grass!
    I don’t think Duberry will ever live that down.

2-0 City.

Tough game-they have come good-take a draw!!

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    Tough game-they have come good-take a draw!!
    Have you taken lessons from YODA.

You’re a bad boy Jeeps. Just to point out we have two current Welsh internationals in our starting line up. I’m sure you will join with me in supporting the mighty Reading FC on Monday night.
    Hope they have an amazing season after you have played us.As supporting Reading i dont think so.

o/t a bit, but Pearcy is the kind of opposition fan that is most welcome here.

Unlike that wurzel

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    o/t a bit, but Pearcy is the kind of opposition fan that is most welcome here.

Unlike that wurzel
    Cheers Tony

Doesn’t anyone know how many you are bringing on Monday night? I am guessing at 2000 and reckon it would have been 3000 if played on Saturday and not on SKY.

Is Ricky Gervais a Royal?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Is Ricky Gervais a Royal?
    No. Kate Winslet, Ian Gillan and Chris Tarrant are the only celebs I know that support the mighty Royals.

No. Kate Winslet, Ian Gillan and Chris Tarrant are the only celebs I know that support the mighty Royals.
    Pretty sure Gillan is a QPR fan, he's a West London boy. Wrong hoops?

Cheers Tony

Doesn’t anyone know how many you are bringing on Monday night? I am guessing at 2000 and reckon it would have been 3000 if played on Saturday and not on SKY.
    Only know that at close of play on Monday (4th), ticket office had sold 690.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Pretty sure Gillan is a QPR fan, he's a West London boy. Wrong hoops?
    You may be right. He tried to buy Reading back in the 80s but that doesn’t mean he is a Reading fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Only know that at close of play on Monday (4th), ticket office had sold 690.
    That’s not too bad. If you bring 2000 I am guessing the gate will be around 16000

That’s not too bad. If you bring 2000 I am guessing the gate will be around 16000
    Ticket sales for us depend a lot on when the various guys who run the coaches sort their batches out. I did ours today. However, live on Sky, Monday night I think it will be 1500 at a push.
    If it was Saturday then it would have been an away sell out, with us doing well and decent prices. We took 4000 to Fulham ( including the ones in the neutral end) and Reading is closer

Cheers Sky

Bill Oddie no longer a celeb?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Bill Oddie no longer a celeb?
    Yes but not a Reading fan. His beard is very special for us Reading fans though and Mr Oddie does have a soft spot for us now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Ticket sales for us depend a lot on when the various guys who run the coaches sort their batches out. I did ours today. However, live on Sky, Monday night I think it will be 1500 at a push.
    If it was Saturday then it would have been an away sell out, with us doing well and decent prices. We took 4000 to Fulham ( including the ones in the neutral end) and Reading is closer

Cheers Sky
    Yep. Would have much preferred this game being played tomorrow and with a packed away end. A real shame SKY have had to televise this and wreck the atmosphere. We may struggle to get beyond 15,000 now. We would have had around 19,000 if played tomorrow.