+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson saying what most think.

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson saying what most think.

Britons who join so-called Islamic State should not be allowed back to UK, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson says.

Amazing that it is even being discussed.
    From FaceBook.

I'm about as liberal as it comes. But this sounds like basic common sense.
    If, as an American citizen, I leave The United States to join a force that wants to bring about the down fall of America, I should immediately lose my citizenship and never be allowed back into the country.
    There shouldn't even be a debate about this.

Feedback

Re: Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson saying what most think.

Quote Originally Posted by James fox View Post
    Britons who join so-called Islamic State should not be allowed back to UK, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson says.

From FaceBook.

If, as an American citizen, I leave The United States to join a force that wants to bring about the down fall of America, I should immediately lose my citizenship and never be allowed back into the country.
    I don't think ISIS declared war on the UK. however, we have seen this before during WW2 when members of HM armed forces were captured, some offered to fight for the Heer and Waffen-SS. After the war, they were tried and executed.

Agreed I don't see what other alternative there is.

Even the young ones who went how can you allow someone back in who is completely against the values of a country?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    They will be allowed back in , and the ECJ (European Court of Justice) will uphold their right to do so I think.
    They are a citizen of the UK, they have a UK passport, if they have broken the law - then they can be charged and if found guilty imprisoned.
    Correct I think.

A few things to consider here. It is a complex situation in the middle East. A failure of intelligence could mean the persecution of British citizens who have travelled to the region to fight 'on our side' with one of the many groups, although once isis are defeated they might not always be on our side!

Then you have kids who have been taken to the region by their parents, a blanket rule doesn't fulfil our duty to them.

And frankly the idea that we can just shun our responsibilities once someone has been radicalised is being naïve. These people are our problem, do I want them in this country? No. Does that mean they are some other countries responsibility? No.

Far right will dress this up as liberals protecting the rights of terrorists but it isn't about that.

Quote Originally Posted by James fox View Post

From FaceBook.

It's not as simple as that though. As a citizen, one has certain rights. I'm sure there would be very complicated legal challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's not as simple as that though. As a citizen, one has certain rights. I'm sure there would be very complicated legal challenges.
    Gavin Williamson is gearing up for the top job when Theresa May goes. A bit of populism goes a long way with the voters. Ref: Trump

Eric - Radio4 the world at 1 news - discussed this in particular the statements from Borris and Williamson and also the previous one who resigned (Fallon I think)

The lawyer on the show said that indiscriminate bombing of UK citizens would see the UK in court.
    The UK can intervene if the ISIS Jihadi is an imminent and direct threat - ie they are pointing a gun at a UK soldier was the example, if they dont have a gun and are sitting down having a fag - then they cannot be classed as a legitimate target. And could possibly be breaking the law. The Govt response would be that they had intel on them preparing for a terrorist attack etc.

A grey area - and one which most people (other than sympathetic Muslims) would agree on taking them out.
    But we're ok when we're bombing places and killing innocent civilians just hope there's no uk civilians? Punishment should be a lot tougher than they are like how long will that young lad get who put that nonsense about Cardiff terrorist attack the other day

From the Independenet: "He told the Daily Mail: "A dead terrorist can't cause any harm to Britain."

What a juvenile and incendiary remark from one of the most important positions in the country, even if people think that way the defence secretary should be more careful with what he says

They will be allowed back in , and the ECJ (European Court of Justice) will uphold their right to do so I think.
    They are a citizen of the UK, they have a UK passport, if they have broken the law - then they can be charged and if found guilty imprisoned.
    There is another issue as well - removal of UK citizenship is a rarity, especially if it makes a person stateless. The home office has the power to do so in extreme cases, but there is right to appeal and a messy court case costing the taxpayer.

Clearly we have to follow due process of law whilst accepting we are dealing with very dangerous individuals

Shame Gavin Wiiliamson wasn't as resolute when it came to putting sprinklers in Tower Blocks when he had the housing brief. He is far from the only one mind.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Shame Gavin Wiiliamson wasn't as resolute when it came to putting sprinklers in Tower Blocks when he had the housing brief. He is far from the only one mind.
    Indeed

Ffs How many people are involved in this shite?

Its a case of small minded twats being fed the usual shite. Trump / Britain First etc.

Im sure we can find a cheaper option that costly court and jail time paid for by taxpayers who could be funding thier own danger , zap em I say ,about time we had precise opinions ,rather than some political correct ones.

It would be no skin off my nose for all of them to be incinerated by predator drones but I was thinking earlier about the young ones taken by their families and have then become fighting age males 12 or so. They just kids. I am pretty sure they would rather be riding bikes with their mates. Drone strikes tend not to make any concessions. My only concern. Not too fussed about due process n locking the rest of them up.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Clearly we have to follow due process of law whilst accepting we are dealing with very dangerous individuals
    So ltes change the law. simples!!!!!!