+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ronne O'Sullivan

Ronne O'Sullivan

Been watching the snooker this week, and he still grinding out good results.

How do you rate him, simply a genius of snooker? or possibly one of the greatest ever sportsman of his generation.

Re: Ronne O'Sullivan

A flawed genius and when he retires snooker will be f8cked. Only player worth tuning in for these days.

Got lucky last night but grinded it out. That Thai kid was playing pool shots on a snooker table. Mental.

Talks absolute nonsense on times Ronnie but when hes on his game hes a joy to watch. Like all top sportsmen he just makes it look so easy and effortless.

Imo he's the greatest snooker player of all time hes just a bit of a **** of a bloke

The greatest snooker player of all time but has a lot of issues with depression etc that have stopped him being even better.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Imo he's the greatest snooker player of all time hes just a bit of a **** of a bloke
    I think people forget how good Hendry was. Hes up there with Ronnie for me. Ronnie just looks more natural when hes in full flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The greatest snooker player of all time but has a lot of issues with depression etc that have stopped him being even better.
    Not sure thats the case to be honest. Hes had a lot of counselling which I think has helped him a lot later in his career. He doesnt let things get to him like he used to and this has helped his game.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I think people forget how good Hendry was. Hes up there with Ronnie for me. Ronnie just looks more natural when hes in full flow.
    Hendry was amazing because he was the most attacking player to come on to the scene but when Ronnie comes along and is making 100+ breaks with his left hand you just got to say wtf

Hendry was amazing because he was the most attacking player to come on to the scene but when Ronnie comes along and is making 100+ breaks with his left hand you just got to say wtf
    I dont think the snooker scene was as strong when Hendry broke through. There were only one or two players capable of beating Hendry in a major tournament, and Jimmy White (who was capable) just didnt have the mental capacity to beat him.

I think there are more people capable of winning the world championship in Ronnie's career.

I would say he is the greatest snooker player of all time. Doesnt come anywhere near being the greatest sportsman of all time though because snooker is still only played by a handful of countried and is dominated by players based in the UK.

Best player to pick up a que for me when he is on song. Left hand, right hand it don't matter. You used to be able to slow him down with safety but he has developed that side of his game to make him more rounded.

O’Sullivan imo, best ever. Selby is right up there as well with Hendry

Ronnie would knock spots off Hendry

I think of the modern era Ronnie has to been of the best, however it's difficult to compare with older generations such as Davis, Reardon, Higgins etc since the the balls in use now are so much lighter, the cloth better etc

All of us posting on here today won't see a better snooker player than Ronnie. Like joecity said above, his all round game has improved massively. He was unable to concentrate during the long matches, but now he is a different animal.

I like him.

Hendry was never as talented a player as O'Sullivan for me, but had a will to win that was incredible. Had Ronnie had Hendry's desire, he'd have won as many world titles as Phil Taylor has won in darts. I remember reading an interview with Stephen Hendry, where he said that he absolutely loved trying to inflict as heavy a defeat on his opponent as possible - if they were having an off day, it was important for him to give them as much of a beating as possible. Hendry was an animal on the table, arguably in the same way that Taylor once was in darts, never beaten until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Hendry was never as talented a player as O'Sullivan for me, but had a will to win that was incredible. Had Ronnie had Hendry's desire, he'd have won as many world titles as Phil Taylor has won in darts. I remember reading an interview with Stephen Hendry, where he said that he absolutely loved trying to inflict as heavy a defeat on his opponent as possible - if they were having an off day, it was important for him to give them as much of a beating as possible. Hendry was an animal on the table, arguably in the same way that Taylor once was in darts, never beaten until the end.
    Agree with you on that Eric. If O’Sullivan had Hendries will to win, he would have ruled snooker for yrs. phsycology plays a massive part in sport. You could argue that Jimmy White had the most “natural” ability of all of them, but just couldn’t get over the line in the World championships. You have to be so talented to get to 6 world finals, but he just couldn’t clear the mental block in his head.
    He must have nightmares over that.

Unfortunately, Trump has nowhere near fulfilled the potential he showed 3/4/5 years ago.
    Selby is a brilliant player but so boring to watch.

Yan Bingtao looks like the next big thing to come through, but you can never really tell these days. I thought Luca Brecel would've done more than he has.

Hope Ronnie stays on for another two or three seasons because he can still beat anyone at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Agree with you on that Eric. If O’Sullivan had Hendries will to win, he would have ruled snooker for yrs. phsycology plays a massive part in sport. You could argue that Jimmy White had the most “natural” ability of all of them, but just couldn’t get over the line in the World championships. You have to be so talented to get to 6 world finals, but he just couldn’t clear the mental block in his head.
    He must have nightmares over that.
    if only he didn't say he touched the pink maybe blue can't remember ball

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Unfortunately, Trump has nowhere near fulfilled the potential he showed 3/4/5 years ago.
    Selby is a brilliant player but so boring to watch.

Yan Bingtao looks like the next big thing to come through, but you can never really tell these days. I thought Luca Brecel would've done more than he has.

Hope Ronnie stays on for another two or three seasons because he can still beat anyone at any time.
    I actually don't mind watching Selby his safety play is brilliant and he's proven you don't need to hit 100 plus breaks every frame to be world champion. The one I hate is Shaun Murphy

I actually don't mind watching Selby his safety play is brilliant and he's proven you don't need to hit 100 plus breaks every frame to be world champion. The one I hate is Shaun Murphy
    Can’t stand Selby. The most ridiculous nickname in sport. Jesters are meant to be entertaining.