+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding Ticket

Speeding Ticket

Just dropped on the doormat, the dreaded speeding ticket. 71mph in a 60 zone (dual carriageway).

Before anyone starts berating me, Im not looking for a way out. Just wondering what the likely fine will be. Its prob too much for the awareness course option. Looking on line its a cat A offence so looking at % of wages. Anyone had something similar recently? What am I looking at percentage wise?

Re: Speeding Ticket

Death by um bongo!

50% of weekly income and 3 points I thought.
    Could be less if it's a first offence or a speed awareness course I think ( never been caught so not entirely sure though)

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Just dropped on the doormat, the dreaded speeding ticket. 71mph in a 60 zone (dual carriageway).

Before anyone starts berating me, Im not looking for a way out. Just wondering what the likely fine will be. Its prob too much for the awareness course option. Looking on line its a cat A offence so looking at % of wages. Anyone had something similar recently? What am I looking at percentage wise?
    Check of the 60mph is legally enforecable as the standard speed for a dual carriageway is 70mph. For this you will need speed limit repeaters ehich have to be set a fixed distance apart. If they aren't then the limit isn't enforceable.

If it is enforceable then you are likely to receive a season ticket for the jacks. I know - it's a cruel and unusual punishment.

My mate reckons the percentage thing only kicks in if you plead not guilty and its imposed by the court or they take you on cos its deemed serious. If I plead guilty it might still be a minor offence and the standard £100 fine and 3 pts.

Theres no escape, I wasn't aware I was speeding but clearly I was so Ill take my punishment like a man but a hefty percentage fine of pay this time of year will be a real kick in the gonads

As stated above, the speed limits for the UK is 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways unless there are signs to the contrary, so go to the stretch of dual carriageway and see if there are any signs there if there are not then you are not guilty. If you have a dash cam, repeat the journey with it on, or have a passenger video it as you drive through as proof

Here you go https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

It was the cefn to dowlais stretch of a465 head of valleys so its prob those average speed yellow cameras. Im done like a kipper

My mate reckons the percentage thing only kicks in if you plead not guilty and its imposed by the court or they take you on cos its deemed serious. If I plead guilty it might still be a minor offence and the standard £100 fine and 3 pts.

Theres no escape, I wasn't aware I was speeding but clearly I was so Ill take my punishment like a man but a hefty percentage fine of pay this time of year will be a real kick in the gonads
    From what I understand, the guideline (not the law) is to give you 10% + 2 mph leeway, which in your case makes the limit 68, so 3 mph over which puts you in band A

I reckon you'll be offered the course, worst case 3 points and a £100 fine (either option gives your insurance company carte blanche to screw you over on renewal time I believe)

I'm 99% certain that the percentge of your salary thing, is only for serious offences and repeat offenders that end up in court

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    From what I understand, the guideline (not the law) is to give you 10% + 2 mph leeway, which in your case makes the limit 68, so 3 mph over which puts you in band A

I reckon you'll be offered the course, worst case 3 points and a £100 fine (either option gives your insurance company carte blanche to screw you over on renewal time I believe)

I'm 99% certain that the percentge of your salary thing, is only for serious offences and repeat offenders that end up in court
    Cheers, thats what my mate reckons. It would be a huge relief

Why are you just accepting this. I have just done a google run along the A465 dual carriageway and there are no average speed cameras and no speed restrictions, I know google maps are a few years old, but if you do not want to re-run your route to check it out there there is nothing more for me to say

Cheers, thats what my mate reckons. It would be a huge relief
    Provided you are below 10% of the limit plus 9 MPH you will be eligible for a speed awareness course. That is if you have not attended one in the last 3 years. Check the stuff which came with the speeding notice. The qualification in your case would be under 75mph.

It's called a FIXED PENALTY because the fine is a fixed amount. Unless you've got a court summons. It's £100.

There are defo av speed cameras near cefn turn off and up near asda.

Thanks all Im comforted it'll prob be 100 notes

And still nobody’s posted the link to pepipo.
    Board’s gone to the dogs.

Problem is, if you dispute a fixed penalty notice, it can only be disputed at a court. I believe all traffic cases for Wales are now dealt with by a court in North Wales, so if you do dispute it, it will be a summons and a trip to North Wales (Probably requiring a hotel for the night).

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Death by um bongo!

I know that joke.

And still nobody’s posted the link to pepipo.
    Board’s gone to the dogs.

Do the speed awareness course. It is marginally cheaper, around £83, and you don't get points on your licence. Also, most insurance companies don't take them into account when assessing your premium in the future although you need to check your policy to confirm that.

Done it twice! first time around 10 years ago and again between 2/3 years ago so I may not be eligible

Done it twice! first time around 10 years ago and again between 2/3 years ago so I may not be eligible
    My wife’s been a couple, so has my dad. Fingers crossed for you mate.

Feedback

Worked well then

Spot on. It will be £100 fine and three points at the worst. However the Police seem to have widened the speed awareness criteria and I reckon EG will be offered that option although the speeding conviction of 2/3 years ago may make EG ineligible to attend a course

My wife’s been a couple, so has my dad. Fingers crossed for you mate.
    Done three speed awareness courses over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Done three speed awareness courses over the years!
    Fcuk me they work well dont they.

I have my course lined up for Feb.

I was only just over the percentage too, and I'm a very diligent driver.
    I see clowns driving like utter clowns and they always seem to get away with it.

Good luck Gwapo.