+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigg's confirms interest in Welsh job...

Re: Gigg's confirms interest in Welsh job...

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    OGS was only reserve team manager at Man Utd, Giggs three years as assistant was with 1st Team managing top players not kids?
    OGS also spent about three years as manager of Molde before he came to City. I’d say he was much more qualified to manage then than Giggs is even now, four years later.

Giggs is probably bottom of my list of ideal candidates to take the Wales manger job. I hate a gut feeling he will be as clueless and inept as Ole 'the Useless One' was for us.

For me it is a toss up between Bellamy and Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Giggs is probably bottom of my list of ideal candidates to take the Wales manger job. I hate a gut feeling he will be as clueless and inept as Ole 'the Useless One' was for us.

For me it is a toss up between Bellamy and Henry
    What experience has Henry got?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    None whatsoever. Neither has Bellamy. Just think Giggs would be a waste of time and space. How many ex Fergie players have been great managers?? As I said, "I have a gut feeling he will be as clueless and inept as Ole 'the Useless One' was for us". Infact, he could turn out to be a great manager, and I'd end up eating humble pie. What I like about this message board are the opinions expressed on it, and like assholes, we all have one.

If you are thinking of Wales taking on a manager, maybe you are thinking that we should employ a manager with the most games under his belt, as a manager then??

Bellamy with Osian as assistant for me

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Isn't he involved with the Belgian national side?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bellamy with Osian as assistant for me
    Bellamy has shied away from managing sides. His interest may well be working with youth players to develop them, that's not managing at an international football level.

We need to get away from the "must be Welsh" bs and get the best available manager wanting the job that can take this crop of players onwards.

International

How about chris coleman?
    just a thought ?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Bellamy has shied away from managing sides. His interest may well be working with youth players to develop them, that's not managing at an international football level.

We need to get away from the "must be Welsh" bs and get the best available manager wanting the job that can take this crop of players onwards.
    Bellamy publicly declared his interest in the job

We probably couldn't afford anyone with a decent reputation, we got beat by Sunderland financially for Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Osian Roberts. He would be my choice, he’s got experience, is respected by the players, fans and his peers, and wouldn’t disrupt the tightness and unity of the squad. Preferably with Craig Bellamy as assistant.
    My worry is that it would undoubtedly affect the work he currently does. Paul Trollope was a good coach for us but an awful manager, mainly because he was no longer doing the things that he was best at.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My worry is that it would undoubtedly affect the work he currently does. Paul Trollope was a good coach for us but an awful manager, mainly because he was no longer doing the things that he was best at.
    Good assistants rarely become good managers. Bryan Kidd, Peter Taylor, Paul Trollope (needed Lawrence at Bristol R). An assistant manager is "one of the lads", and stepping up to being a manager means that your relationship with players changes. Are there many recent examples of a manager being promoted from assistant at the same club and doing a good job?

Ex-Fergie players don't make great managers. My theory is that, quite often, when you have a strict dad, you become a nice dad when it's your turn. I think that's what happened with a few at Man U - and I think Giggs was "bullied" or "intimidated" more by Fergie than any other player. I think a few people would groan if Giggs was lined up as Warnock's replacement. I don't think Giggs has a "stronger together" type attitude, and has displayed selfish tendencies in many aspects of his life.

Henry - he would use Wales as a stepping stone to club management.

Bellamy - he would, also, but I think he would see out a contract. He would get the best out of players, and he talks well on TV. He seems to be taking in a lot of football these days too. Bellamy would be my choice, again with Roberts as assistant.

Bruce,Keene and Mark Hughes of Ferge's fledglings have all been successful managers in Premiership? I can only think of one of ours that really made it as a manager, Tosh and we turned him down ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think Wales should think hard and long before taking
    a leap with an fairly in experienced manager as Giggs, who was number two with Coleman ?
    Yeah look how shit speed and Hughes were.

Blue in the Face

Assistants making poor managers is one of the worst thought out cliches in football. There are so so many famous examples of assistants who turn into top managers that I can't be bothered to start a list.

If people know from first hand experience that they think Giggs, or Henry, or Bellamy would make a good candidate for the hotseat then fair enough. But to me they would all be a huge stab in the dark in an era where we should not be gambling. Osian is so clearly the obvious candidate to me. But what he needs is the right assistant. Preferably a good man motivator.