+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Johny Halliday

Johny Halliday

See his funeral. Feck me. A whoppet

Re: Johny Halliday

Saw him live once many years ago. I never really understood how he was so popular. What I've heard seemed to be derivative American music, rather than having anything distinctively French about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinblue View Post
    Saw him live once many years ago. I never really understood how he was so popular. What I've heard seemed to be derivative American music, rather than having anything distinctively French about it
    Many countries launched their own versions of Elvis and the like - and regurgitated the format decade after decade. Consider Tommy Steele, Cliff Richard, Alvin Stardust etc. Having a local Elvis or similar has the advantage of the individual singing in the native language - and Rock'n'Roll was never really been a French thing really so at least he put a French twist on it. Not my cup of tea but there you go...

I couldn't believe how big it was. Macron and former leaders there. I can't imagine old Cliff getting that. Slight tangent but I remember years ago nearly all pubs had an Elvis. You know the guy at the bar who dressed like him( not the cape) Elvis. Some did the karate moves after a few. Others would sing. A dying breed.

A German candidate for their early rock and roll crown. Painful to listen to:

Massive in France I’d never heard of him till Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Me neither.

Seems a very pale imitation of the real thing. What is it with Europeans and popular music? With very few exceptions they never get it quite right.

A candidate from Italy for their early rock and roll crown:

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I live here and I've never heard of him, my colleagues couldn't believe it

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Many countries launched their own versions of Elvis and the like - and regurgitated the format decade after decade. Consider Tommy Steele, Cliff Richard, Alvin Stardust etc. Having a local Elvis or similar has the advantage of the individual singing in the native language - and Rock'n'Roll was never really been a French thing really so at least he put a French twist on it. Not my cup of tea but there you go...
    Always thought you knew yer stuff, music-wise - but this just ain't true. Acts like Gene Vincent and Jerry Lee were huge in France. They were just about five years behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Always thought you knew yer stuff, music-wise - but this just ain't true. Acts like Gene Vincent and Jerry Lee were huge in France. They were just about five years behind us.
    Those two artists may have been famous in France but they weren't French. I was concentrating on indigenous artists (such as Johnny Halliday) who imitated the American music of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I couldn't believe how big it was. Macron and former leaders there. I can't imagine old Cliff getting that. Slight tangent but I remember years ago nearly all pubs had an Elvis. You know the guy at the bar who dressed like him( not the cape) Elvis. Some did the karate moves after a few. Others would sing. A dying breed.
    Not if you go to Porthcawl during the Elvis Weekend in September. About 50 zillion Elvis wannabees and lookalikes. Infact, if you don't dress or look like Elvis there, you kinda look outta place lol!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Me neither.

Seems a very pale imitation of the real thing. What is it with Europeans and popular music? With very few exceptions they never get it quite right.
    Apart from a certain song contest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Not if you go to Porthcawl during the Elvis Weekend in September. About 50 zillion Elvis wannabees and lookalikes. Infact, if you don't dress or look like Elvis there, you kinda look outta place lol!
    That's sounds decent. Hopefully some Varied themes Elvis there.different stages. The ones in capes crack me up. I might check that out.