+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Sky Q Question.......

Another Sky Q Question.......

Basically, I want a main box for my downstairs TV and three mini boxes for sets upstairs.

I'm confused about the Sky offering, it allows you to have up to four mini boxes but says you can only use multi screen on 3 TVs, which would equate to 2 mini boxes (wouldn't it?)

Anyone on here clarify please ?

Re: Another Sky Q Question.......

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Basically, I want a main box for my downstairs TV and three mini boxes for sets upstairs.

I'm confused about the Sky offering, it allows you to have up to four mini boxes but says you can only use multi screen on 3 TVs, which would equate to 2 mini boxes (wouldn't it?)

Anyone on here clarify please ?
    I believe that you can have a main box and three mini boxes as I have but you can only use the mainbox and two other boxes at any one time.

Cheers Nick, that's what I'm thinking, eg; Four TVs enabled but can only watch on three, simultaneously.

It's ridiculous sky couldn't believe that more than two people could be watching different things

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    It's ridiculous sky couldn't believe that more than two people could be watching different things
    Three people can watch different things - one on the main box and one each on the mini boxes.

Being really dull here, but if I did have three minis, and I got the 2TB could 3 people watch different things and the fourth have to watch what one of the others is watching, or does the fourth box (3rd mini) just become redundant ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Being really dull here, but if I did have three minis, and I got the 2TB could 3 people watch different things and the fourth have to watch what one of the others is watching, or does the fourth box (3rd mini) just become redundant ?
    Never tried it but I think it becomes redundant

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I believe that you can have a main box and three mini boxes as I have but you can only use the mainbox and two other boxes at any one time.
    Is that serious? Sky sell you equipment, and then dictate how many you can use?

to be fair, I can not think of a situation were i would have 4 people in four different rooms watching 4 different channels, even in the largest of families

If you've got the 2TB box you can watch on the main box, 2 mini boxes and 2 tablets simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    to be fair, I can not think of a situation were i would have 4 people in four different rooms watching 4 different channels, even in the largest of families
    Quite, but why sell people the equipment if they can't use it all at the same time?

It's almost as ludicrous as their boast of 340 channels - many free-to-air, many religious, many shopping, many time-delayed.

Maybe the 4th person could watch on a tablet via the Sky Go app when need be ?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Quite, but why sell people the equipment if they can't use it all at the same time?

It's almost as ludicrous as their boast of 340 channels - many free-to-air, many religious, many shopping, many time-delayed.
    When I purchased the additional mini box a few weeks ago they told me the situation then - I had the choice to proceed with the purchase or not. Nobody forced me to buy it, I made the choice to do so.

When I purchased the additional mini box a few weeks ago they told me the situation then - I had the choice to proceed with the purchase or not. Nobody forced me to buy it, I made the choice to do so.
    Still seems a bit odd. Netflix (£9.99 a month) allows 4 devices at once, and they have no problems if you share with friends and family. Sky looks like a strait-jacket in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Would be rare in my house, downstairs, my room and then my daughter and nieces would all watch the same, if my nephew was round then they wouldn't watch the same so would need the 4 on...very rare mind..and if they are all here then there's tablets etc too.

Still shouldn't dictate to people though if they fork out.

Still seems a bit odd. Netflix (£9.99 a month) allows 4 devices at once, and they have no problems if you share with friends and family. Sky looks like a strait-jacket in comparison.
    As has been stated you do also have the ability to watcha further different programmes on your tablet device. It really is not a massive issue.

As has been stated you do also have the ability to watcha further different programmes on your tablet device. It really is not a massive issue.
    Judging by his previous posts I'd say he was lacking this information.

May I ask how much extra this costs?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Judging by his previous posts I'd say he was lacking this information.
    Since I had to ask the question in post #8, then clearly I am not as well informed as Nick. Nick has taken an informed consumer choice to buy equipment from a company, and then to be restricted in how he uses the equipment that he has paid for because the company chooses to restrict it (and not for any specific reason, as far as I can see, though hopefully Nick will help me out).

I looked at Sky Q a while ago and, while it looked nice and shiny, it still feels rather outdated. It also feels a little bit dictatorial in comparison with, say, Netflix who have few restrictions, if any, at all.

If that is the case, then why the need for mini-boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    May I ask how much extra this costs?
    The extra mini box was £100 - there is no additional monthly fee.

If that is the case, then why the need for mini-boxes?

a) The family don't always want to watch TV on a tablet and

b) The improved wi-fi signal around the house makes it worthwhile.

Since I had to ask the question in post #8, then clearly I am not as well informed as Nick. Nick has taken an informed consumer choice to buy equipment from a company, and then to be restricted in how he uses the equipment that he has paid for because the company chooses to restrict it (and not for any specific reason, as far as I can see, though hopefully Nick will help me out).

I looked at Sky Q a while ago and, while it looked nice and shiny, it still feels rather outdated. It also feels a little bit dictatorial in comparison with, say, Netflix who have few restrictions, if any, at all.
    You pay your money and you make your choice.

a) The family don't always want to watch TV on a tablet and

b) The improved wi-fi signal around the house makes it worthwhile.
    a) Can't you use Chromecast?

b) To improve wi-fi you can use cheaper options than a Sky mini-box?

You pay your money and you make your choice.
    I don't dispute it and I hope you are getting your money's worth.