+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, the best league in the world is over by Xmas....

So, the best league in the world is over by Xmas....

And any from 8th down could face the drop in what must be one of the worst premier leagues for quality since it began, Man City apart. So much cash, yet so much average.....

International

Re: So, the best league in the world is over by Xmas....

Bugger, for a minute there I thought you were talkingabout the Championship and wolveselona

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Bugger, for a minute there I thought you were talkingabout the Championship and wolveselona
    That was over in September

I thought today's two good games typify why the premiership is a watchable product, I don't watch many games th3se days , however today was worth a gaze , so many millions worldwide watch it .

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    And any from 8th down could face the drop in what must be one of the worst premier leagues for quality since it began, Man City apart. So much cash, yet so much average.....
    All five teams have made the last 16 of the Champions League so unless quality has dropped across Europe I am not sure about the conclusion compared with the last few years.

Really!?

Man city playing incredible footy,
    Man U smashing goals in for fun earlier in the season.
    Chelsea Title holders
    Liverpool finally looking dangerous again
    Spurs also scoring for fun.

One of the most entertaining premier league seasons so far, Man city are running away with it because they deserve to be.
    and as previous said all English teams through the champions league group stages, the quality has never been better

International

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Really!?

Chelsea Title holders

One of the most entertaining premier league seasons so far, Man city are running away with it because they deserve to be.
    and as previous said all English teams through the champions league group stages, the quality has never been better
    Pity there are so few british players playing in those wonderful teams.

to be fair, every British player who is good, excluding Gareth Bale, plays in the Premier League

If only they were good enough. Can't blame the clubs for wanting the best players.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    All five teams have made the last 16 of the Champions League so unless quality has dropped across Europe I am not sure about the conclusion compared with the last few years.
    The top 5 or 6 are way ahead of the rest I think....

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Really!?

Chelsea Title holders

At the top end, the quality has undoubtedly improved. Some of Man City's play in recent weeks has been the most enjoyable I've seen since the early Arsenal days (Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Overmars, Viera).

At the other end, I think the OP is right, the quality has gone down quite markedly.

It's not the best league in the world, and all eyes now turn to the Champions League, and the relegation places - the title is sewn up. A friend of mine had a decent bet (forgot the odds), of Watford to win the title with a +42point handicap. Looking at the table at the moment, and seeing how well Man City are playing, the bet looks doomed already. And Watford have been playing well too. Man C are already 17 points clear of Arsenal (a point a game) - is it really possible that the team who finishes 5th are 30 plus points (10 games, in effect) behind the champions?

Why is it a pity? Would you rather pay £1000 on a season ticket and watch your team struggle to stay up, but have a team full of British players, or pay £1000 on a season ticket and watch your team stay up comfortably with a few foreigners in your team?

Is it really that few considering they're the best sides in the league?

Man City usually have sterling, stones, walker and stones (stones injured currently) starting.

Yesterday man united had smalling, rashford, lingard and young. 3 of the bench were British too.

Arsenal had Ramsey starting and wilshere and Welbeck coming on.

Liverpool started with solanke, chamberlain, Milner, Henderson, Gomez and Robertson. Ings came on as a substitute.

Everton had Lewin, Davies, Williams, Rooney, holgate, kenny and pickford. Jagielka and Lennon came on.

Southampton started with 6 British players and 1 came on.

Maybe it would be nice to see more British players but I think saying there are none is just a weird narrative by people who don't even watch.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Is it really that few considering they're the best sides in the league?

Man City usually have sterling, stones, walker and stones (stones injured currently) starting.

Yesterday man united had smalling, rashford, lingard and young. 3 of the bench were British too.

Arsenal had Ramsey starting and wilshere and Welbeck coming on.

Liverpool started with solanke, chamberlain, Milner, Henderson, Gomez and Robertson. Ings came on as a substitute.

Everton had Lewin, Davies, Williams, Rooney, holgate, kenny and pickford. Jagielka and Lennon came on.

Southampton started with 6 British players and 1 came on.

Maybe it would be nice to see more British players but I think saying there are none is just a weird narrative by people who don't even watch.
    Nice reply

Was hoping that spurs might win the league as they can play some fine stuff and didn’t spend a fortune but looks like Man City have bought it again. Good buys mind. The bottom 12 def seem to be more average but top 6 moving up to another level maybe making them look worse than they are......

Was hoping that spurs might win the league as they can play some fine stuff and didn’t spend a fortune but looks like Man City have bought it again. Good buys mind. The bottom 12 def seem to be more average but top 6 moving up to another level maybe making them look worse than they are......
    Spurs would be my choice but I think they've missed their chance after the last 2 seasons.

City might have spent a lot of money but the difference is Guardiola. He's not only spent money but he's improved every player who was already there. Sterling is finally reaching his potential, stones isn't looking like an accident waiting to happen, Delphi looks like a new player, Sane finally looks like he's got his head down and started working. Even Aguero looks more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Nice reply

I've just realised I said stones twice when I meant delph but ok other than that 😉

It must be one of the most boring league's in the world?

Totally dominated year in year out, season in season out by the four plastic teams of Man Ure, Liverpool, Chelsea and The Arse, laterally joined by Man City. Thank feck for Leicester winning it!!

The only thing that has interested me about the prem (apart from the disaster, which was our one season there) are the relegation battles.

I've always thought the Premier League was over rated - five teams in the last sixteen of the Champions League isn't proof that this has changed, but three in the last four would be.

No many make the semi finals is more apt

I'd give up following football completely if it wasn't for the City, Celtic and Ireland.

The PL is a brand, it can be woeful to watch. Cheating, prima donnas and whinging managers whom the media pander to.

My subscription to sky sports has been cancelled. Its a bore fest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    It must be one of the most boring league's in the world?

Totally dominated year in year out, season in season out by the four plastic teams of Man Ure, Liverpool, Chelsea and The Arse, laterally joined by Man City. Thank feck for Leicester winning it!!

The only thing that has interested me about the prem (apart from the disaster, which was our one season there) are the relegation battles.
    Spain is dominated by Barca and real.
    Germany is dominated by Bayern
    Italy by juve.
    France by PSG

The premier league has had 3 winners in the last 3 years. The other big teams in other leagues are better than the English ones but the leagues are hardly more competitive or interesting.

Maybe it's me but I find the battle for the top 6 and the relegation battle to be pretty interesting and the quality of the top 6 is very high.

It's like half the time people just want to go against the popular thing

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I'd give up following football completely if it wasn't for the City, Celtic and Ireland.

The PL is a brand, it can be woeful to watch. Cheating, prima donnas and whinging managers whom the media pander to.

My subscription to sky sports has been cancelled. Its a bore fest
    Match of the Day will do for me these days.

I see there was another tunnel fight on the weekend. Gary Neville once said tunnel fights were what made it "The best league in the world". He was commentating for Sky at the time where it appears pundits have to mention the tagline every 3 minutes.

11 points clear before Christmas, but Sky will still make a Stoke v Watford match sound like it is something worth sacrificing time and money for.

Some of the fixtures aren’t very appealing are they, Watford v Burnley etc....4 clubs in the premier league were league 1 10 years ago....they still are in my mind

The top 5 or 6 are way ahead of the rest I think....
    Top lot are better. Rest haven't gotten any worse (for me) so I'd say It has improved.