+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Nigel Farage Show On Sunday: Mrs May's Brexit deal has gone wrong

The Nigel Farage Show On Sunday: Mrs May's Brexit deal has gone wrong

Re: The Nigel Farage Show On Sunday: Mrs May's Brexit deal has gone wrong

Not sure I can make it through that lot, but if anybody does just leave a brief synopsis.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Point 69

European court of Auditors being used to calculate the bill !!! - they havent calculated or balanced books from the EU - as far as I'm aware.
    They are not responsible for calculating or balancing the books.

The prime responsibility of the European Court of Auditors is to attest whether the accounts presented by the European Commission are true and fair and expenditure has been made in line with regulation. They have been unable to sign off these accounts for a number of years as being regular. This is mainly due to irregularities or inaccuracies in the expenditure made directly by member states (such as CAP or structural funds) rather than the money spent directly by the Commission (though they are by no means lily-white).

For what it is worth, the UK is one of the highest sinners in the EU when it comes to failure to control CAP expenditure adequately.

I was only reporting what they said on the video - the caller read out the wording of point 69, where is said that the EU court of Auditors are the ones that will calculate the bill for the UK - please correct if that is wrong.

All I remember about EU audits is that they have had difficulty signing off accounts - although they have signed off that the process of doing so has been correct - if that makes sense.

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-audi...ign-eu-budget/

"It’s often argued that the EU’s budget both has and hasn’t been signed off by auditors for years.

Both sides have a point. The EU’s Court of Auditors regularly “signs off”—in its own words—the reliability of the accounts themselves, and has given them a clean bill of health for the last decade.

But it has consistently found significant errors in how the money is paid out since it began giving opinions in 1995, for the 1994 EU financial year.

The exception to this is the most recent year. The latest report has, for the first time ever, found a significant amount of payments to be largely error-free. It found that “Payments for 2016 were legal and regular, except for cost reimbursement payments”.
    I would think that the ECA would not do the calculation but would be the "independent" body that confirms whether the calculation is reasonable if that makes sense.

Re: See this instead

The links on this forum software wont embed the start time on youtube videos - go to 29mins 55 seconds for the clip
    Finally plucked up the energy to look at that part of the clip and as said before Article 69 states that the ECA will audit but not draw up the suggested repayment amount. Farage goes on to bemoan that this money will be paid by us in dribs and drabs over many years. It is not clear from that whether he thinks his pension as a European Parliamentarian should be paid in a lump sum on departure or in dribs and drabs given that he has discounted not receiving it at all and getting it deducted from the overall bill.

David Davis (Team: safe hands, strong and stable, clear, clear leadership, clear clear clear have I said 'clear' enough) seems to have made a ham-fisted f*ck up yet again.

Of course it could all be part of the plan to reignite the British Empire and fly the Spitfire over the white cliffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    David Davis (Team: safe hands, strong and stable, clear, clear leadership, clear clear clear have I said 'clear' enough) seems to have made a ham-fisted f*ck up yet again.

Of course it could all be part of the plan to reignite the British Empire and fly the Spitfire over the white cliffs.
    You need to rewind to 19:40 on the Farage clip for that!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...endum-campaign

Something more for Nige to comment upon...