+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Iphone Help - Battery Only Lasting An Hour

Iphone Help - Battery Only Lasting An Hour

My daughter has an iphone 6, which when charged only 'lives' for about an hour or so and dies. It's out of warranty and she's spoken to apple, done all the updates and all the carp they get you to do. Theyve tested it and said the problem is the phone and not the battery. They cant diagnose the fault and have offered her a new 6 for £300 or £120 for a trade in for a newer model. Anyone had similar and found a fix ?

........and before any Apple haters join the thread.........Yes I know !!

Re: Iphone Help - Battery Only Lasting An Hour

How long has she had the phone ?

I’d be tempted to take the trade in tbh.

However if she doesn’t really need an iPhone ie she could get buy without FaceTime , and iMessage , then I would look at getting a decent android phone. Such as a one plus 5t

This can happen if you're in a poor signal area and the phone is trying to get a connection all the time. Does it get very hot?

If it does then you need to sort out the link to the router. The other potential reason is that she has an app which is continually refreshing for some reason.

The last thing to check, regardless of what Apple say, is whether your phone is one of those where the battery just turned itself off even with about 30% left. I had that and there was a list of phones that had batteries with this problem. Not sure where any more sorry.

If all that fails then I'd take the trade-in as well

Can’t the battery be replaced like a screen can?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Can’t the battery be replaced like a screen can?
    Yeah it can and it's not too difficult to do, buy a screen replacement toolkit off eBay and then a battery and you'll be able to do it
    Last edited by GL1Blue; 12-12-17 at 21:42. Reason: Cant spell

Just had a look, battery and kit for 6 quid

Yes but both the remote and on site tests say its the phone draining the battery and not a fault with the battery. To be fair she uses it constantly so thinking the trade in may be the best bet. I've always bought phones outright but tempted with contract now as there is no huge outlay and the monthly don't seem to work out that much more expensive. Thanks for the tips.

I had this issue with my iPhone 6, I took it to the Apple store. It was the mother board that failed and Apple said I could part ex it.

I asked them for a replacement phone, they said to take it up with my mobile phone provider. I told them a bought it from the Apple store direct and it wasn’t fit for use. They gave me a new phone (new to me but it was a refurbished phone.

Tell your daughter to back up everything on her phone, as when mine went it just died completely, and wouldn’t turn back on.

Thanks. Hers is out of warranty, won't that be my hitch ? (It was bought from Apple)

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Thanks. Hers is out of warranty, won't that be my hitch ? (It was bought from Apple)
    Tell her to go back to the store and tell them it’s not fit for use. When i used that phrase they gave me replacement phone right away. What’s she got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    Tell her to go back to the store and tell them it’s not fit for use. When i used that phrase they gave me replacement phone right away. What’s she got to lose?
    Will do, cheers.

Out of interest, how long ago did she buy the phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    create a scene, they ( the Genius bar techs ) really do not want that, speak loudly about the iphone not working, the normal offer will be a refurb for £60 ( might have increased slightly this year )

Don't things wear out anymore? It is out of warranty?!

What is the sense of entitlement here, and why is it right to 'create a scene' about an old, fecked, out of warranty phone?
    Just ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Out of interest, how long ago did she buy the phone ?
    Now there's a question........Her original 6 again developed a battery fault whilst under warranty, Apple couldn't fix it so gave her a new phone, but had to pay £60 (not sure why). Even though they replaced her phone with a new one, the warranty on the new phone effectively started from the purchase of the original phone. So the phone she has now is less than a year old but because of the aforementioned it is effectively out of warranty. Not sure how that fits with consumer rights, surely its not just 'an Apple thing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Now there's a question........Her original 6 again developed a battery fault whilst under warranty, Apple couldn't fix it so gave her a new phone, but had to pay £60 (not sure why). Even though they replaced her phone with a new one, the warranty on the new phone effectively started from the purchase of the original phone. So the phone she has now is less than a year old but because of the aforementioned it is effectively out of warranty. Not sure how that fits with consumer rights, surely its not just 'an Apple thing'.
    That's not acceptable then. You should expect a phone that lasts more than a year. Talk to Consumer Advice if they don't accept it back - and try and get your other £60 back. That's not acceptable either.

Surprised at this. I’ve found Apple pretty good. Had iPhone batteries replaced for free after 23 months. Had MacBook battery replaced for free after 4 years. I’m sure there’s a 2 year policy on batteries.

I’m guessing they get around this by saying it’s your phone not the battery though.

Go here ... iphone fixed in Cardiff

I have iPhone 6 and got a new battery installed in an hour for less than £30....fantastic service and way cheaper than getting a new phone.

Highly recommended