+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Playing every team (all 23) once before playing anyone again. This season.

Playing every team (all 23) once before playing anyone again. This season.

That's what is happening to us. Maybe others too but I am not sure.

This is weird and I honestly don't think I can recall it happening before.
    It might seem normal but I don't think it is.

Anyone want to comment?

Might have happened last season too but I think this can be a new thing.

Re: Playing every team (all 23) once before playing anyone again. This season.

I thought this would've always been the case

What?

This happens in every league. Even in CL group stage.

We played Blackpool twice in October in 2008 (league games)

Always the case in Spain and in the same order (exception maybe when Madrid go to the world club cup every year)

I noticed this yesterday. I’m sure you often find that you may play one or two teams twice before you get to half way. Especially if you’re in the lower divisions so more cup games pre Xmas, and possible postponements.

Not happening in the Prem. Swansea playing Palace twice before playing Liverpool at all

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

Anyone want to comment?

It isn't weird, its the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

Anyone want to comment?

In the last few seasons this has happened. Prior to that there are plenty of examples where we've played the same team twice in the opening or closing 23 fixtures of the season.

Didn't they play double headers in the 50's? Home to a team one week, then away to the same team the following week? And/ or vice versa.

This has been the norm for some years now -in fact 2010-11 was the last time this didn't happen for us when matches no 12 and 22 were both against Coventry. There was a time when this was more or less the pattern for Saturday fixtures but there would be close home and way fixtures at Christmas and Easter and for early season midweek games. The home and away double headers on consecutive Saturdays was a system used when we joined the league in 1920 but ended after the 1923-24 season.

In 1952 we played Newcastle away on Christmas Day then played the return fixture 2 days later.
    Doubt we took too many to that one.