+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3RD ASHES TEST MATCH

3RD ASHES TEST MATCH

Bit of a fight back going on,Stoneman unlucky,was he out?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41090

Re: 3RD ASHES TEST MATCH

****ing cook out for minimal runs again how the feck he's got over 10k runs is unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    ****ing cook out for minimal runs again how the feck he's got over 10k runs is unbelievable
    He's in terrible nick now, but that doesn't make him a bad player all of a sudden.

The big positive is that England have been able to score over 300 in a day without a meaningful contribution from Cook or Root - I didn't think they could do that.

England have, to all intents and purposes, taken a big gamble in having three players unproven at this level before they arrived in Australia in their top five and, so far, I'd say two of them are more than justifying their selection - Stoneman has not got a really big score, but has been a solid opener who is doing his bit in trying to blunt the Australian new ball bowling and Malan may have had one or two cheap dismissals in terms of the way he got out, but he's taken a huge step forward today and did so by showing a good blend of attack and defence.

We have a massive problem in Cricket today where teams are unable to compete away from home.

This is partly to do with the fact that the fixture schedule is so full no teams can go over early to acclimatise, and secondly the teams hosting the series do not want to give the visiting teams decent warm up games because they want to win the series. (England were given decent opposition and a long build up during the 2010 series that they won).

So what we are seeing now in the 3rd test is a team only just starting to get used to the conditions that they are playing in.

We are playing a series of cricket matches where the home paying public are always delighted. However is it doing anything for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The big positive is that England have been able to score over 300 in a day without a meaningful contribution from Cook or Root - I didn't think they could do that.

England have, to all intents and purposes, taken a big gamble in having three players unproven at this level before they arrived in Australia in their top five and, so far, I'd say two of them are more than justifying their selection - Stoneman has not got a really big score, but has been a solid opener who is doing his bit in trying to blunt the Australian new ball bowling and Malan may have had one or two cheap dismissals in terms of the way he got out, but he's taken a huge step forward today and did so by showing a good blend of attack and defence.
    To be honest Bob, I believe Australia will still be expecting to bowl England out for not much more than 350.
    The usual collapse is probably just around the corner, although I would love to see England make it 2-1 and shut the Aussie media up.

Cricket threads on here are always great quality.

👍

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    This will be his last test series surely? Retirement beckons methinks

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Bit of a fight back going on,Stoneman unlucky,was he out?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41090
    Watched the highlights earlier and it wasn't conclusive, lots of confusion but there looked enough evidence for a not out verdict. He led a charmed life whilst in the fifties (dropped twice) and got badly shaken up with a blow to the head from a short ball just before. Looks a great prospect though.

If (another if!) England can bat correctly tomorrow and post somewhere over 450, which should be feasible with Malan and Bairstow well in, it could get interesting.

Can't see me staying up too late though.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Watched the highlights earlier and it wasn't conclusive, lots of confusion but there looked enough evidence for a not out verdict. He led a charmed life whilst in the fifties (dropped twice) and got badly shaken up with a blow to the head from a short ball just before. Looks a great prospect though.

If (another if!) England can bat correctly tomorrow and post somewhere over 450, which should be feasible with Malan and Bairstow well in, it could get interesting.

The guys on the radio said it was out.

Slight nick on the glove of the hand on the bat.

Don't ask me which ones it was though

Reaching 450 should mean we can look to achieve at least a draw in this game and no series whitewash

First Team

Why can I not get rid of this nasty feeling that a collapse is only just around the corner?
    Probably experience but at least they have shown some competence with the bat and from at least one unlikely candidate.
    Just getting set for another long night in front of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Reaching 450 should mean we can look to achieve at least a draw in this game and no series whitewash
    That's just about the size of it

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Why can I not get rid of this nasty feeling that a collapse is only just around the corner?
    Probably experience but at least they have shown some competence with the bat and from at least one unlikely candidate.
    Just getting set for another long night in front of the TV.
    Might give it an hour myself

First Team

Might give it an hour myself
    How I now wish I only gave it an hour.
    The obligatory collapse arrives with the sort of timing Southern Rail can only dream of.
    Then again had you offered me 400 at the start of the day I would have taken it but it feels like a 100-159!shy of what should have been on the board.
    Extras is currently looking like a good shout for Englands batsman of the series!

How I now wish I only gave it an hour.
    The obligatory collapse arrives with the sort of timing Southern Rail can only dream of.
    Then again had you offered me 400 at the start of the day I would have taken it but it feels like a 100-159!shy of what should have been on the board.
    Extras is currently looking like a good shout for Englands batsman of the series!
    Problem now is if Aus bat all day today and tomorrow they coul get 500+ meaning Wngland then have to bat 4 sessions to save the match.

Really needed to bat until tea today.

Pressure is on the bowlers now to get some early wickets.

400 is not enough at the WACA

Strange how these morning sessions seem to be so prolific for the bowlers.

Aus now have the best conditions of the day to bat

First Team

That is a fair summary of the match.
    So much now depends on either getting into the Aussie batsmen or limiting the run rate so that the sessions required to save the match are reduced.
    Possibly match the Australian over rate may be a start as that has been woeful at times.

That is a fair summary of the match.
    So much now depends on either getting into the Aussie batsmen or limiting the run rate so that the sessions required to save the match are reduced.
    Possibly match the Australian over rate may be a start as that has been woeful at times.
    One down. Warner, which is a bonus as they seemed to be coasting along having seen the opening bowlers off.

Batting wise we really miss Stokes, his inclusion would basically add 30 runs to the average of the team, but so much more than that as those 30 runs, plus the fact he puts the opposition on the back foot would give more confidence to the other batsmen.

Maybe Overton will make up for that with his bowling as I feel Stokes is a bit inconsistent on the bowling front these days

2 down. Overton gets Bancroft

Not one for cricket but I did catch the flurry of 4 wickets a few hours ago..

At 368/4 we should have been looking at 500 and bowling at the Aussies for the final hour of the day. At 110/2/Aus are back in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    At 368/4 we should have been looking at 500 and bowling at the Aussies for the final hour of the day. At 110/2/Aus are back in this.
    Batting fragile matched by the mentality.Lower order not up for the fight.

203-3 at the close, so England won't be enforcing the follow on.

A miserable, but typical against Australia in Australia, late order batting collapse blew away all of the good work of yesterday - I have this mental image of one England top seven batsman talking with another one and saying something like "okay, I know 15 isn't much of a score in a test match, but did you see that second six I hit?". If the Aussies can get a lead of a hundred or more, I think they'll win unless the poor weather forecast for the last two days of the game comes to England's rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    203-3 at the close, so England won't be enforcing the follow on.

A miserable, but typical against Australia in Australia, late order batting collapse blew away all of the good work of yesterday - I have this mental image of one England top seven batsman talking with another one and saying something like "okay, I know 15 isn't much of a score in a test match, but did you see that second six I hit?". If the Aussies can get a lead of a hundred or more, I think they'll win unless the poor weather forecast for the last two days of the game comes to England's rescue.
    Australia seem to adapt better to our conditions than the other way round. Not sure of the stats but I'm pretty sure it would show the Aussies weaker in the 1st tests here, and getting stronger as the series progress. Perhaps their bowlers can find a bit of seam and swing to add to their pace, whereas we just can't find that extra pace/bounce that's needed over there...

Perhaps it would help if more of our up and coming players went over there to play.
    It seems most foreign Test batsmen have had a crack in English conditions at some point