+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'internet neutrality' supposedly under threat?

'internet neutrality' supposedly under threat?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8110236.html

Should we be concerned about this?
    Sounds like we should.

I saw another news story elsewhere, about "Russia" posturing by loitering warships near under sea communication cables, and that , supposedly, they might be demonstrating how easily 'the internet' could be threatened if the physical links were somehow severed.

We've come to rely heavily on something that is not robust, and not easily protected.

Re: 'internet neutrality' supposedly under threat?

Gosh and we think the yanks are bad, I find
    It so strange how we give left leaning countries/ governments, so much slack ,we rage about western occupations but very little is said of how countries like Russia annex areas /parts of the world for there self intrest and disregard human rights, diversity etc.

One eyed politics I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It so strange how we give left leaning countries/ governments, so much slack ,we rage about western occupations but very little is said of how countries like Russia annex areas /parts of the world for there self intrest and disregard human rights, diversity etc.

Loads and loads and loads is written and said about Russia's behaviour. More about them than any other country, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post

Should we be concerned about this?
    Sounds like we should.

I saw another news story elsewhere, about "Russia" posturing by loitering warships near under sea communication cables, and that , supposedly, they might be demonstrating how easily 'the internet' could be threatened if the physical links were somehow severed.

We've come to rely heavily on something that is not robust, and not easily protected.
    Disabling electricity sources is a quick way to bring a country to its knees. Hence the development of graphite bombs etc. Without electricity, life as we know it will come to a complete stop.

Indeed.

The article linked is about how our internet use may become influenced , prescribed and maybe even costed.

I muddied the waters with the second comment.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Hmmm not sure about that. As Vimto says Russia is discussed quite often and it looks like quite a seedy, gangster like state run by a complete narcissist with a personality disorder. It appears to be breeding an aggressive ideology of a perceived chip
    on their shoulder, which to a certain degree I can understand given WW2 and the NATO expansion to their border.

Are they given that there is a lot of wealth in the hands of a small number of businessman a left country as you say?

^^
    Some truth in that, but these are the low latency, high capacity links. Secondary routes would soon become saturated. There are only so many transatlantic cables.
    It is a risk. Not sure whether it is a specific risk from 'Russia' solely mind, if at all.

But , the thread was not supposed to be about that, it was supposed to be about this! :

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Im in 2 minds - if in your house - you have 2 kids that watch netflix all day - but you want to login so you can work from home. But you find your connection is slow as your kids are chewing up your bandwidth - would you prefer it if Netflix was given a lower priority (so you can work), a higher priority (to completely stop you from working) or would you like the bandwidth to be shared equally ?

I think there will come a time when your router or broadband package will be configured so you and set what type of traffic (or device) gets preference ie video or data PC or tablet etc
    I'm not sure if you will get to set it, money talks. Same like the adverts on the TV, you have no say in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Im in 2 minds - if in your house - you have 2 kids that watch netflix all day - but you want to login so you can work from home. But you find your connection is slow as your kids are chewing up your bandwidth - would you prefer it if Netflix was given a lower priority (so you can work), a higher priority (to completely stop you from working) or would you like the bandwidth to be shared equally ?

I think there will come a time when your router or broadband package will be configured so you and set what type of traffic (or device) gets preference ie video or data PC or tablet etc
    You can kinda do that on most routers now, if you log on to the router go to the advanced settings.
    Or to fully manage usage (on the fly too) more techy folks could make a domestic 'traffic shaper' our of an old/spare PC and run 'pfsense' or similar on it.

Having that built into the router - and broadcasting, an easy to use interface to your phone or tablet would indeed be a great feature.
    ( 'till the kids get fed up of being managed, crack it and shut you out ;) )
    Perhaps some providers offer such a solution even? - I don't know.

But having our global 'net use managed 'upstream' - that has all sorts of ramifications.

Might this get pushed through while we are distracted by other things?
    We'd better stay diligent I think.

You can kinda do that on most routers now, if you log on to the router go to the advanced settings.
    Or to fully manage usage (on the fly too) more techy folks could make a domestic 'traffic shaper' our of an old/spare PC and run 'pfsense' or similar on it.

Having that built into the router - and broadcasting, an easy to use interface to your phone or tablet would indeed be a great feature.
    ( 'till the kids get fed up of being managed, crack it and shut you out ;) )
    Perhaps some providers offer such a solution even? - I don't know.

But having our global 'net use managed 'upstream' - that has all sorts of ramifications.

Might this get pushed through while we are distracted by other things?
    We'd better stay diligent I think.
    Yep, upstream is the key, and not connected to what you can do over and above in your own home

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Yep, upstream is the key, and not connected to what you can do over and above in your own home
    If 'they' get the opportunity to manage / restrict / charge us for our browsing habits and the services we have got hooked on using ... yikes...

If 'they' get the opportunity to manage / restrict / charge us for our browsing habits and the services we have got hooked on using ... yikes...
    The internet should be a level playing field IMO.

we have had " Bandwidth throttling " for years though, all the Big ISP throttle data from certain download places between the peak times, you look at your DL speeds in the evening compared to at night

So what if Netflix pays to have its traffic a priority, you pays your money and all that

I was once kicked off band ISP ( pipex ) as i was using too much bandwidth and they just did not want me as a customer, so they wrote to me and asked me to " stop using the net so much " and when i didnt, they kicked me, guess what, i found a ISP who wanted me and my traffic

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we have had " Bandwidth throttling " for years though, all the Big ISP throttle data from certain download places between the peak times, you look at your DL speeds in the evening compared to at night

So what if Netflix pays to have its traffic a priority, you pays your money and all that

I was once kicked off band ISP ( pipex ) as i was using too much bandwidth and they just did not want me as a customer, so they wrote to me and asked me to " stop using the net so much " and when i didnt, they kicked me, guess what, i found a ISP who wanted me and my traffic
    Where do Netflix get their money from? The consumer will end up paying more to use the net, a lot more. That's what's 'so what' about it.

Indeed, is not just about bandwidth throttling, or capping - far from it - though that may be a part of the scenario.

The internet should be a level playing field IMO.
    How do you feel about the globalists that have changed that then?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    How do you feel about the globalists that have changed that then?
    Which ones?

Which ones?
    The one's with the power to change the decision originally made to keep the net neutral

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The one's with the power to change the decision originally made to keep the net neutral
    As far as I know they have reversed it back to how it was in 2015, so what has changed?

BTW Obama is a globalist, the current lot are far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Where do Netflix get their money from? The consumer will end up paying more to use the net, a lot more. That's what's 'so what' about it.
    Yep, if you want Netflix, you pay the premium, just the way it is now ( except it will cost a little more )

My " surfing " bandwidth will not take priority, but i accept that, maybe if i pay for a premium ISP who have some Priority then my surfing speed will increase, but i will have a choice, pay the premium or not / fast or slow

It is all about money, no surprise on that, that is life i am afraid

As far as I know they have reversed it back to how it was in 2015, so what has changed?

BTW Obama is a globalist, the current lot are far from it.

Eh?
    The changes that applied from 2015 to now. That is what would be repealed, by 'rolling back' - surely?

Yep, if you want Netflix, you pay the premium, just the way it is now ( except it will cost a little more )

My " surfing " bandwidth will not take priority, but i accept that, maybe if i pay for a premium ISP who have some Priority then my surfing speed will increase, but i will have a choice, pay the premium or not / fast or slow

Feck me ..

Eh?
    The changes that applied from 2015 to now. That is what would be repealed, by 'rolling back' - surely?
    What were the changes? I haven't noticed any differences from pre-2015 up until now.

What were the changes? I haven't noticed any differences from pre-2015 up until now.
    ?! - I dunno - it was you who said it had been "reversed" to 2015 scenario - ^^ up there somewhere!

This is not the same as paying more for a better service. The existing big companies can use this to kill competition while it's young - all the innovations that have made the internet what it is, such as Netflix, will have no chance. And you and me will paying more for the pleasure.

So what?