+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh players want Carl Robinson for Wales manager...

Blue in the Face

Welsh players want Carl Robinson for Wales manager...

Excerpt from today's Times...

"Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey want Carl Robinson, the Vancouver Whitecaps coach, to replace Chris Coleman as Wales manager. The Welsh internationals are understood to have contacted the former Wolverhampton Wanderers and Sunderland midfielder, urging him to apply to the Football Association of Wales, who ..."

Anyone on here a Times subscriber? Any chance you could cut and paste the article on here? Regardless of what your politics is, The Times is a trustworthy broadsheet when it comes to this type of story. So this is pretty massive news I would say.

I'm with Rambo and Bale....

Re: Welsh players want Carl Robinson for Wales manager...

Would prefer to the untested Giggs, as apparently the players also appear to, if that is right..

Also interested in hearing more.

It’s a yes from me.

I don’t want giggs using us as a Guinea pig to see if he’s any good

Has more credentials than Bellamy and Giggs combined - Experience.
    Albeit over the pond. If the players want him then that’s good enough for me.

Should the players be picking the manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Should the players be picking the manager?
    I’d say they’re more qualified than anyone to make that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I’d say they’re more qualified than anyone to make that choice.
    What if other players want somebody else? Or if the Welsh FA have a strategic vision for the future? I've never been a fan of player power in football, it's a recipe for disaster when they start dictating terms.

What if other players want somebody else? Or if the Welsh FA have a strategic vision for the future? I've never been a fan of player power in football, it's a recipe for disaster when they start dictating terms.
    Good point.
    I imagine it wouldn’t just be Bale and Ramsey who made that choice, I would hope it was a a collective decision from the squad if true.

I'd be concerned he's not really impressed at Vancouver.

168 games he's managed them - 68 wins, 61 losses, goal difference of +4.

It just screams average in a league that's not the greatest.

Blue in the Face

Good argument here on player power. But the Welsh players would know more about who is right for the manager job than fans, pundits and the FAW combined. The FAW should take Ashley Williams up on his offer and listen to the players. I'm not saying they should have a deciding vote, but it would be simply ignorant to not hear their voice.

It doesn't at all surprise me that they've opted for Robbo. He has something about him. Intelligent. Diligent. He should be considered.

I believe this would be the best appointment

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

They are one of the smallest clubs in the MLS. If you slapped that record on Watford in the Premier League, does your post read how you intended it to?

It's still Bellamy for me, he's got the passion, won't stand any nonsense, and has played at the highest level. It seems as though the players don't want him though

Blue in the Face

It's still Bellamy for me, he's got the passion and has played at the highest level. It seems as though the players don't want him though
    It's a shame that Bellers isn't three or four years further down the road toward manager/coach. He could have something as he does greatly impress as a pundit on the telly. But there are way too many question marks on him unfortunately and I would doubt that the FAW would feel they could take a gamble on him at this stage.

Hopefully he gets a managing job in the football league or abroad proves that he has the managing talent we hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    They are one of the smallest clubs in the MLS. If you slapped that record on Watford in the Premier League, does your post read how you intended it to?
    There's (nominally) more parity in MLS that most.

Good managers motivate, get the best out of the players they have. Make chicken salad out of chicken shit, if you will.

The next manager Wales have is absolutely critical or it risks wasting the best crop of players we've had in a long time. We need the best available manager wanting the role, not someone the players like. Managers aren't there to be best friends with the players - Hughes was too close, had his friends who always got picked like Hartson.

I'm not convinced by Robinson - if that record was in the Prem, would still be average.

Good point.
    Though how was Coleman's record before his appointment?

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Good point.
    Though how was Coleman's record before his appointment?
    After the first six games, how many Welsh fans wanted him kept on? Let's see how Coleman gets on with Sunderland as well.

The question is, was our performance at the Euros akin to when Greece won it, or was it a sign of long term improvement? Evidence of the WC qualifiers was we dropped too many points from winning positions, couldn't turn up when qualifying was on the line against a very, very ordinary Ireland side.

Well if they have a vision and he's interviewed and doesn't fit the bill then he probably won't be selected, will he.

Blue in the Face

There's (nominally) more parity in MLS that most.

Good managers motivate, get the best out of the players they have. Make chicken salad out of chicken shit, if you will.

The next manager Wales have is absolutely critical or it risks wasting the best crop of players we've had in a long time. We need the best available manager wanting the role, not someone the players like. Managers aren't there to be best friends with the players - Hughes was too close, had his friends who always got picked like Hartson.

I'm not convinced by Robinson - if that record was in the Prem, would still be average.
    Fair point on MLS.

On manager-player relationship what is needed is respect first and foremost. If the players are actively seeking a candidate then I'd say that's a mark of great respect (and perhaps lack of for other candidates?)

Cookie seemed to have a great balance to player relationships. I don't subscribe to the best way to run the ship is on fear. It can work, but other methods can work just as well. But respect is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Well if they have a vision and he's interviewed and doesn't fit the bill then he probably won't be selected, will he.
    And then there's the possibility Bale and Rambo spit the dummy.

I'll somewhat contradict myself by saying from the games of Vancouver I've seen through Sky, they do play some neat stuff. My concern is it's a massive step up from MLS to European qualifying section international management.

Fair opinion, what if it was with a relatively small team with little funds?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Fair point on MLS.

On manager-player relationship what is needed is respect first and foremost. If the players are actively seeking a candidate then I'd say that's a mark of great respect (and perhaps lack of for other candidates?)

Cookie seemed to have a great balance to player relationships. I don't subscribe to the best way to run the ship is on fear. It can work, but other methods can work just as well. But respect is a must.
    Agreed, but fear can work - see Ferguson. Warnock also has a great balance imo - players respect him enough to know when the hair dryer treatment is given out, it's deserved and for good reason.

What I don't want to see is a situation we had under Hughes where his relationship with players led to a situation where certain players were undroppable, playing despite their form suggesting otherwise.

And then there's the possibility Bale and Rambo spit the dummy.

I'll somewhat contradict myself by saying from the games of Vancouver I've seen through Sky, they do play some neat stuff. My concern is it's a massive step up from MLS to European qualifying section international management.
    It would be something to consider, as i agree it would be a step up. I've not seen any of their games so not sure how they play.

How does he set his team's up?

Fair opinion, what if it was with a relatively small team with little funds?
    You'd take it if it was such a team in the Prem.

MLS is however different. No relegation, the whole draft system mean it's a different kettle of fish entirely. Arguably most teams there are "relatively small" with "little funds".

Now, under Robinson Vancouver have been patchy - either qualify for the cup playoffs quite high up or fail to qualify. Years they did get to the semi-finals they lost. Ok, they did win the Canadian championshop but given that comprised a whopping 4 clubs ( one from USL ) I'm not giving him that much credit for that.

From the MLS games I've seen, teams have been much of a muchness quality wise. Yes, you get the big spenders paying the likes of Gerrard £5m for doing sod all... so a team like Vancouver can compensate by Robinson squeezing the maximum,, getting players playing above their level. Has he done that? It's arguable. The reality is should he get the Welsh job, he'd have to get the best out of players at the level of Gunter, Chester et al.

It would be something to consider, as i agree it would be a step up. I've not seen any of their games so not sure how they play.

How does he set his team's up?
    Was 4-2-3-1, changed during last season to 4-3-3 switching to 4-5-1 when they lost the ball.. Was pretty defensive against Seattle from memory, I seem to recall.