+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh players want Carl Robinson for Wales manager...

Re: Welsh players want Carl Robinson for Wales manager...

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I'd be concerned he's not really impressed at Vancouver.

168 games he's managed them - 68 wins, 61 losses, goal difference of +4.

It just screams average in a league that's not the greatest.
    I think his record with Vancouver is irrelevant. And who knows enough about Vancouver to judge him? Maybe they're punching above their weight.

He's going to have to manage the Welsh squad and get the best out of them. If Bale and Ramsey think he's the man for the job, I'm inclined to defer to them.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think his record with Vancouver is irrelevant. And who knows enough about Vancouver to judge him? Maybe they're punching above their weight.

He's going to have to manage the Welsh squad and get the best out of them. If Bale and Ramsey think he's the man for the job, I'm inclined to defer to them.
    If he'd lost every game would it have been irrelevant? I'll not claim to be the greatest expert on MLS, watch games when they are on Sky though. Plenty of their fans want him out and have questioned tactical inflexibility.

So, if Wales under Robinson have a disastrous Euro qualifying, should he not be fired because the players want him kept on? No team or nation can have the tail wagging the dog.

You'd take it if it was such a team in the Prem.

MLS is however different. No relegation, the whole draft system mean it's a different kettle of fish entirely. Arguably most teams there are "relatively small" with "little funds".

Now, under Robinson Vancouver have been patchy - either qualify for the cup playoffs quite high up or fail to qualify. Years they did get to the semi-finals they lost. Ok, they did win the Canadian championshop but given that comprised a whopping 4 clubs ( one from USL ) I'm not giving him that much credit for that.

From the MLS games I've seen, teams have been much of a muchness quality wise. Yes, you get the big spenders paying the likes of Gerrard £5m for doing sod all... so a team like Vancouver can compensate by Robinson squeezing the maximum,, getting players playing above their level. Has he done that? It's arguable. The reality is should he get the Welsh job, he'd have to get the best out of players at the level of Gunter, Chester et al.
    Not something that jumps off the CV is it, agreed.

Would he do ok in a league 1 club and promote them? I just wonder, if he can set the team up positively and motivate the players. I'd rather have a proven manager with a good track record, we have a good set of players and more coming through so we would be sensible to take advantage of it and appoint a good manager and push on.

I also like the thought of someone like Robinson, bring the kids in and set us up to play good football. As long as he doesn't play 50 passes to get to the half way line I'd take that.

After the first six games, how many Welsh fans wanted him kept on? Let's see how Coleman gets on with Sunderland as well.

The question is, was our performance at the Euros akin to when Greece won it, or was it a sign of long term improvement? Evidence of the WC qualifiers was we dropped too many points from winning positions, couldn't turn up when qualifying was on the line against a very, very ordinary Ireland side.
    No idea where you have veered with this TBH

The point was . Robinson would be a gamble. Coleman was a gamble at the time. *
    Coleman worked out. I half agree that he may have had 'some fortune', but I don't want to go full-on ungrateful to the man who oversaw the finest football ride of my lifetime - so far.

* Others mentioned in the frame - thus far - are even bigger gambles.

And then there's the possibility Bale and Rambo spit the dummy.

I'll somewhat contradict myself by saying from the games of Vancouver I've seen through Sky, they do play some neat stuff. My concern is it's a massive step up from MLS to European qualifying section international management.
    Is it such a huge step up? Aren’t Wales if we’re honest an MLS quality team when you compare us to the big boys

He’s built something good in Vancouver to be fair - he’s got Earnie earning his coaching stripes there as well

Living in Canada I see a lot of them - they get great support as well (more than our average home attendance is my guess) play some good stuff and he’s really got a great team spirit there

MLS is a much more even playing field (draft system helps that) but it’s genuinely improving as a product and the standard gets better each year. Toronto won everything this year and they have 2 players that would walk into any Championship team - even Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    No idea where you have veered with this TBH

The point was . Robinson would be a gamble. Coleman was a gamble at the time. *
    Coleman worked out. I half agree that he may have had 'some fortune', but I don't want to go full-on ungrateful to the man who oversaw the finest football ride of my lifetime - so far.

* Others mentioned in the frame - thus far - are even bigger gambles.
    I don't disagree too much.

My point is gambles can only go well for so long. See Swansea for an example of that. Gambled by firing their best ever manager Laudrup, appointed the man who undermined him and the "Swansea Way" ( whatever that was ) has gone.

Speed was a gamble when Wales' expectations were low.
    Coleman was less of a gamble given expectations still weren't great.
    The next manager has had the bar raised by those Euro performances; I'd thus argue that if you are going to gamble, it's got to be an educated gamble, minimise risk of things going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Is it such a huge step up? Aren’t Wales if we’re honest an MLS quality team when you compare us to the big boys

He’s built something good in Vancouver to be fair - he’s got Earnie earning his coaching stripes there as well

Living in Canada I see a lot of them - they get great support as well (more than our average home attendance is my guess) play some good stuff and he’s really got a great team spirit there

MLS is a much more even playing field (draft system helps that) but it’s genuinely improving as a product and the standard gets better each year. Toronto won everything this year and they have 2 players that would walk into any Championship team - even Wolves
    I'd say from what I've seen there are some good players in MLS. There's a lot that's very amateurish, however. NYCFC playing at a baseball stadium with a pitch that's under the minimum FIFFA pitch size width wise for example - though a cynic might argue that aided Pirlo and Lampard at the time, having less distance to move ;)

Defensively MLS is mostly incredibly naive. When Bradley Wright-Phillips scores goals for fun... you've got to question the standard.

I think MLS will be overtaken by China within the next decade or so. Yes, you can point to the population sizes but China have brought in quality coacheslike Eriksson. Players come and go, but improving the quality of coaching will have a massive effect.

I'd say the best fans in MLS are Orlando. Always a sea of purple, incredibly passionate.

Stoke losing again.

We'll probably end up with Mark Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Stoke losing again.

We'll probably end up with Mark Hughes.
    Hartson and Blake are cleaning their boots as we speak.

Blue in the Face

That's quite enlightening on the Whitecaps, cheers.

I'm guessing Michael Bradley must be one of the players you mention? I actually always thought he might cut it in the PL. Cardiff could certainly do with him in our team right now. His old man seemed to be a Cardiff fan too.

When you compare the Toronto squad to the Whitecaps it does show quite a gulf. But the draft keeps a little balance as you say. I do enjoy MLS and the standard is improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    That's quite enlightening on the Whitecaps, cheers.

I'm guessing Michael Bradley must be one of the players you mention? I actually always thought he might cut it in the PL. Cardiff could certainly do with him in our team right now. His old man seemed to be a Cardiff fan too.

When you compare the Toronto squad to the Whitecaps it does show quite a gulf. But the draft keeps a little balance as you say. I do enjoy MLS and the standard is improving.
    Bradley is a cut above - controls the game, has a great engine and his distribution is also excellent. He’s their captain and a true leader on and off the pitch - look up his post match after they won the MLS Cup last week.

The other player I was referring to is Giovinco - he’s the highest paid player in MLS but if you YouTube his goals you’ll see why - doesn’t get picked for Italy because he plays in MLS but his first touch is sublime at times. Does t matter what league you’re in if you can do what he can do with the ball

Blue in the Face

Bradley is a cut above - controls the game, has a great engine and his distribution is also excellent. He’s their captain and a true leader on and off the pitch - look up his post match after they won the MLS Cup last week.

The other player I was referring to is Giovinco - he’s the highest paid player in MLS but if you YouTube his goals you’ll see why - doesn’t get picked for Italy because he plays in MLS but his first touch is sublime at times. Does t matter what league you’re in if you can do what he can do with the ball
    Cheers. Thought the other one would be him or Altidore who is a bit of a MLS legend as he's played so much of his career there. It's a pretty big deal that MLS has Giovinco and he went there from Juve, in his prime.

Think MLS must be in the best state it's ever been in right now. There's a couple of strong and balanced sides. I wonder how Toronto or the Sounders would fare in the English pyramid?

If he'd lost every game would it have been irrelevant? I'll not claim to be the greatest expert on MLS, watch games when they are on Sky though. Plenty of their fans want him out and have questioned tactical inflexibility.

So, if Wales under Robinson have a disastrous Euro qualifying, should he not be fired because the players want him kept on? No team or nation can have the tail wagging the dog.
    So you place your trust in the FAW?

Blue in the Face

Agreed, but fear can work - see Ferguson. Warnock also has a great balance imo - players respect him enough to know when the hair dryer treatment is given out, it's deserved and for good reason.

What I don't want to see is a situation we had under Hughes where his relationship with players led to a situation where certain players were undroppable, playing despite their form suggesting otherwise.
    I'm not sure we did agree there mate.

If Wales want to go for the Fergie type and run things that way, then it would be a massive step away from "the Welsh way". If you buy into that idea. A huge part of that philosophy, mainly derived from the Osian Roberts (literal) school of thought, is that coaches are encouraged to remain even tempered on and off the pitch. Anger is in effect a loss of control. If you need anger to wake players up to concentrate, then you've probably already failed in coaching or even selecting that player. If you had the chance to see Osian on the sidelines for any of the Welsh youth team games, 50% of his instructions shouted from the sidelines are "Relax! Relax!" (on repeat). This is usually when the team doesn't have the ball and an instruction for players to use their heads, maintain team shape and not dive in or run around like headless chickens.

Nothing about him jumps out here .. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Giovinco

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So you place your trust in the FAW?
    Not really, with silly "won't be English" comments.

You can't have players dictating who should or shouldn't be manager. Never. What's their motivation - do they rate him as a manager ( how can they when they've never played under him ), do they think he's a mate, do they think they'll always have a guaranteed place in the side under him...

I'm not sure we did agree there mate.

If Wales want to go for the Fergie type and run things that way, then it would be a massive step away from "the Welsh way". If you buy into that idea. A huge part of that philosophy, mainly derived from the Osian Roberts (literal) school of thought, is that coaches are encouraged to remain even tempered on and off the pitch. Anger is in effect a loss of control. If you need anger to wake players up to concentrate, then you've probably already failed in coaching or even selecting that player. If you had the chance to see Osian on the sidelines for any of the Welsh youth team games, 50% of his instructions shouted from the sidelines are "Relax! Relax!" (on repeat). This is usually when the team doesn't have the ball and an instruction for players to use their heads, maintain team shape and not dive in or run around like headless chickens.
    We've a touchy feely way at work. You can't criticise anyone even when they make rudimentary f*ckups...

I'm not saying players should be scared to turn up for work. When Warnock reads the riot act, players respect him enough to know he's doing it for good reason. What Warnock does well is shut off - doesn't keep yelling. May well have yelled at half time - end of the day, it's over, it's done.

Cheers. Thought the other one would be him or Altidore who is a bit of a MLS legend as he's played so much of his career there. It's a pretty big deal that MLS has Giovinco and he went there from Juve, in his prime.

Think MLS must be in the best state it's ever been in right now. There's a couple of strong and balanced sides. I wonder how Toronto or the Sounders would fare in the English pyramid?
    My view is that Toronto’s current squad would compete in the top half of the Championship - they’d score lots but would also concede lots at the moment. Altidore is a menace - they play to his strengths but I do think Championship is probably his level

I actually disagree with whoever it was that said Chinese League is next big league - I think it’ll be the MLS

My view is that Toronto’s current squad would compete in the top half of the Championship - they’d score lots but would also concede lots at the moment. Altidore is a menace - they play to his strengths but I do think Championship is probably his level

I actually disagree with whoever it was that said Chinese League is next big league - I think it’ll be the MLS
    It won't due to the quality of coaching.

Carl Robinson or Sven? Which of those has the most top level managerial experience? A quality coach teaching Chinese coaches, passing his experience on will improve far, far more players than the MLS importing another Giovinco.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Nothing about him jumps out here .. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Giovinco
    Really?

Carl Robinson or Sven? Which of those has the most top level managerial experience? A quality coach teaching Chinese coaches, passing his experience on will improve far, far more players than the MLS importing another Giovinco.
    Carl Robinson every time. Would you really want Sven? He’s an antique

Carl Robinson every time. Would you really want Sven? He’s an antique
    He's an antique with endless valuable experience of managing at the top level.

Every coach he teaches... then teaches others, players and coaches. Far more impact upon the game.

Really?
    The thing that jumps out is the massive disparity in goals per game from his stints in other leagues and goals scored in MLS.

Another example

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Wright-Phillips

Another point is that it really beggars belief that from a pure football perspective Giovinco chose MLS over European leagues. Either there was little interest in him in Europe or he went for the money.

The thing that jumps out is the massive disparity in goals per game from his stints in other leagues and goals scored in MLS.

Another example

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Wright-Phillips

Another point is that it really beggars belief that from a pure football perspective Giovinco chose MLS over European leagues. Either there was little interest in him in Europe or he went for the money.
    I’m not interested in the stats or speculation to be honest - watch some footage and comment on what you see - it’s a lot more meaningful. Sven falls into the Hodgson camp if you ask me - poor international manager but ok with implementing a system at club level. In no way do I ever see him as a motivational leader though - the fact that Robinson is Welsh would see me choose him 100% of the time over Sven

Giovinco is a decent player. Not a great player.

You can't turn round and say the stats aren't interesting. Again, Bradley Wright-Phillips became a goal machine upon joining MLS. There's plenty of defensive naivety in that league. There are also a lot of athletes playing football there rather than being true footballers, if that makes sense?

MLS has improved, I'll grant you that. It's still got a long way to go to get close to Championship level.