+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Netflix

Netflix

Are there any decent films on there or what? All I can see is a pile of low budget British mockney hooligan / gangster films??

Re: Netflix

The Dallas buyers club is a good film

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    The Dallas buyers club is a good film
    It’s 3/4 years old!!!

Is a decent film tho but not one I wish to watch more than once

Hacksaw Ridge,Mudbound, Gone Baby Gone, Bone Tomahawk, Captain Phillips, Fargo, Drive, Into the Wild, A Bronx Tale, City of God, American Gangster, Beasts of No Nation, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, The Invitation, The Wailing, The Siege of Jadoteville, Nebraska, Michael Clayton, Wee Man, Selma etc etc

However there is so much more to Netflix than films with some brilliant series as in Narcos, Breaking Bad, Making a Murderer, Better Call Saul, Mindhunter, Godless, Stranger Things etc etc.

I got Netflix but barely ever use it. My lads though love it for the box sets rather than movies.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Are there any decent films on there or what? All I can see is a pile of low budget British mockney hooligan / gangster films??
    Probably based on your viewing history to be honest

The Hooligan Factory is a decent comedy, it parodies the likes of Green Street, Football Factory and ID, that might be on there

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Hacksaw Ridge,Mudbound, Gone Baby Gone, Bone Tomahawk, Captain Phillips, Fargo, Drive, Into the Wild, A Bronx Tale, City of God, American Gangster, Beasts of No Nation, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, The Invitation, The Wailing, The Siege of Jadoteville, Nebraska, Michael Clayton, Wee Man, Selma etc etc

However there is so much more to Netflix than films with some brilliant series as in Narcos, Breaking Bad, Making a Murderer, Better Call Saul, Mindhunter, Godless, Stranger Things etc etc.
    City of God definitely in my top ten films of all time

Netflix is much better for television than it is films.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Netflix is much better for television than it is films.
    I’m aware of that but I didn’t think the film choice would be so poor

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    City of God definitely in my top ten films of all time
    Watched half of it earlier before the football. Not bad so far.

Netflix isn't about the movies, to be fair. I stayed away from Netflix for a while because I was basing them purely on their choice of movies. I'd happily pay twice as much as I do for Netflix - great value for money. If they had better movies, it would probably cost 3 times as much.

I’m aware of that but I didn’t think the film choice would be so poor
    I don't know how much it costs over there. Here, it's $10 a month. Compared with $15 for HBO and/or Showtime. They tend to get the bigger first run movies. And nowadays you can rent new films from your cable provider for about $5.

I think Netflix is more of a case of you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't know how much it costs over there. Here, it's $10 a month. Compared with $15 for HBO and/or Showtime. They tend to get the bigger first run movies. And nowadays you can rent new films from your cable provider for about $5.
    I think Netflix is more of a case of you get what you pay for.
    £10 a month for 4 screens and ultra HD

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Netflix isn't about the movies, to be fair. I stayed away from Netflix for a while because I was basing them purely on their choice of movies. I'd happily pay twice as much as I do for Netflix - great value for money. If they had better movies, it would probably cost 3 times as much.
    It’s brilliant value for money. My only quibble is that there are a lot of good films in their catalogue which you can easily miss because it is not particularly user friendly

Get showbox. It's free, and has all the latest films and TV. shows. e.g. Dunkirk is on there now.

Find myself using Netflix less recently - fantastic for it's original content, but they don't add much else that's any good or hasn't been seen before

Using Amazon Prime for films in the main now, they've upped their game a lot in recent months - especially with newer releases. Lots of Oscar winners/nominees added like Arrival, Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea, Silence, etc then world cinema like The Handmaiden, A Man Called Ove, Toni Erdmann, Your Name

Just finished The Sinner on there (Jessica Biel, Bill Pullman) was excellent.

Started The Punisher with Jon Bernthal which is also quality.

Godless was excellent as was Mindhunter. Hope there's a 2nd series of Mindhunter.

Presently ploughing through Breaking Bad and House of Cards, reaching series 4/3 respectively.

Only gripe is the rewinding which takes patience and skill to get to the point you actually want.

Godless is worth a watch. Plenty of good series stuff on Netflix.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Godless was excellent as was Mindhunter. Hope there's a 2nd series of Mindhunter.

Presently ploughing through Breaking Bad and House of Cards, reaching series 4/3 respectively.

Only gripe is the rewinding which takes patience and skill to get to the point you actually want.
    Would be good if you could input the time you wanted to go back to. I rarely find I have to rewind though.

Someone mentioned "you get what you pay for". Not really true, because it insinuates Netflix is sub standard. Sky was costing me about £65 a month when I cancelled. What we were watching on Sky were the occasional football match, the odd movie, and 340 channels with nothing on. 33% of what was being shown on the subscription channels were adverts by companies also paying Sky, just like we pay Sky to watch those ads. For £50 a month less, I can watch any of their content at any time - no need to download (although I can do that), no ads, I can even skip the intros.

Linear TV is out dated, and Sky need to be more flexible in what they offer. I am hoping Amazon get the football rights next time around, because I think they will offer a pay as you watch services. It's only live sport that is keeping the dinosaur of linear TV breathing.

Nowhere near as user friendly as Kodi

The split the films into the most ridiculous of category’s.

I’ll watch Narcos on Netflix as saved me finding subtitles but nearly all the series I’d watch I can get on Kodi.

I’ll keep it for the Kids as what’s a tenner a month, especially when I get Kodi fir free.

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    Just finished The Sinner on there (Jessica Biel, Bill Pullman) was excellent.

Started The Punisher with Jon Bernthal which is also quality.

Yep The Sinner is next on my list. Halfway through Dark at the moment which is also worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post

Mindhunter is definitely coming back for a second series. Godless looks unlikely.
    When you finish watching Breaking Bad give Better Call Saul a try. It includes a number of characters from Breaking Bad and is very good.