+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket - Question for all.

Cricket - Question for all.

The media this morning full of England losing the ashes to Australia. Simple question. Do you care?

Re: Cricket - Question for all.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    The media this morning full of England losing the ashes to Australia. Simple question. Do you care?
    Yes

A bit

Yes

No , not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    No , not at all.
    I'm too young to like cricket, only 58, and think for a minority sport it gets disproportionate media coverage. I did hear they got slaughtered again, don't really care as such, apart from the typical Welshman enjoying england losing aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    I'm too young to like cricket, only 58, and think for a minority sport it gets disproportionate media coverage. I did hear they got slaughtered again, don't really care as such, apart from the typical Welshman enjoying england losing aspect.
    Its the 4th biggest sport in the uk. County Cricket gets next to no media coverage, and international cricket gets back page coverage during major series.

Just because you do not like something, doesnt mean it gets disproportionate media coverage.

What is this cricket thing of which you speak?

Yes, it's my second favourite sport behind football. Considering there is a 2 page thread on this test match, it suggests a lot of other people care as well.

I lost interest in it when it went to Sky which I couldn't afford at the time.

By the time I could afford Sky I'd lost track of cricket.

Also there is always some mickey mouse cricket on 365 a year which has devalued it.

It used to be a summer sport ( with a winter tour ) which dovetailed nicely with
    the football season.

Still it is more interesting than golf.

Enjoy watching it but won't care how well England do unless there's Welshmen in the team. Very much care about Glamorgan though.

Yes I do

Yes.

However this set up needs to be taken apart. If it was 3-0 to New Zealand I wouldnt be that bothered.

Bayliss , Strauss need to be booted out.

Hate losing to the convicts.

Also there is always some mickey mouse cricket on 365 a year which has devalued it.

It used to be a summer sport ( with a winter tour ) which dovetailed nicely with
    the football season.

This goes to the heart of cricket's problem - the cry of "where are all of the fast bowlers?" is going out after England's latest rout in Australia, but if there are some potential England quicks out there, the fact that there is so little cricket being shown on non subscription television means that there isn't anywhere near as many youngsters with a committed interest in cricket (certainly far less than when I were a lad).
    Yes, the pitches don't encourage quick bowling or the sort of spin bowling that can dumbfound good batsman with it's subtlety, but, apart from in Asian communities, cricket seems to be a long way down the list of priorities for the generation that will form the test team not too far into the future.
    Finally, I care that England have lost the Ashes again with barely a fight - cricket is a great game, better than football in some ways.

the football season.

It is a summer sport. Its just it is summer in different parts of the world at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Its the 4th biggest sport in the uk. County Cricket gets next to no media coverage, and international cricket gets back page coverage during major series.

Just because you do not like something, doesnt mean it gets disproportionate media coverage.
    I'm working class, so obviously don't encounter any cricket fans, but having said that, I don't know a single person that goes fishing, yet it's the most popular pastime in the UK allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    It is a summer sport. Its just it is summer in different parts of the world at different times.
    Fair point I grant you and if you love the sport enjoy it.

However I still think that the constant round of matches means that players don't
    get proper breaks and rests and I think many tournaments exist simply to fill Sky channels.

Couldn't care less.
    I only watch cricket when I've finished watching the paint dry.
    And then it's not for those blokes in white - the green stuff growing is more interesting.

I love a bit of cricket but the test game is sadly dying imo with the new generation of fans with the attention span of a goldfish only want to see 20 20 and the batsman smashing the ball all over the place.

The only game that can be played for 5 days...
    teams finish with different scores...
    and STILL call it a draw.

If that poxy little trophy is so important, why don't they buy one each?
    It looks like it came in a multi-pack from Poundland.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The only game that can be played for 5 days...
    teams finish with different scores...
    and STILL call it a draw.
    Unfortunately sometimes it rain's

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Unfortunately sometimes it rain's
    But mostly it sun's

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Anything that has Australia or Australians doing anything better or being more successful than the UK or any component thereof only gives the fkwits I work with another opportunity to drone on about how shite we all are in the uk and how fkg marvelous they are

Makes me puke

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    I'm working class, so obviously don't encounter any cricket fans, but having said that, I don't know a single person that goes fishing, yet it's the most popular pastime in the UK allegedly.
    Why would you say that? There are cricket teams all over the South Wales valleys where the game is played by all walks of life. Sure, the cricket establishment at Lords etc is very much the oxbridge old school tie brigade but its nonsense to say that because youre working class you wouldn't encounter cricket fans.

Can’t get my head around them called England when Welsh players can play for them.