+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BambaManga

Blue in the Face

BambaManga

These guys were phenomenal against Hull. It was one of those games where our defense was so good you almost stop taking notice (if that makes sense?)

Is it possible that guys can keep our captain out if they keep this up?

Re: BambaManga

I thought so at the beginning of the season , and we need real full backs not fill in's ,and probably a better keeper if we want top move on from here like Allan McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    These guys were phenomenal against Hull. It was one of those games where our defense was so good you almost stop taking notice (if that makes sense?)

Rock solid and nicked the ball off Hull over and over again. Morrison's done well too but that was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I thought so at the beginning of the season , and we need real full backs not fill in's ,and probably a better keeper if we want top move on from here like Allan McGregor
    Real full backs?

Peltier, Bennett and Richards are very good full backs at Championship level (and I think the last two would hold their own in the league above). We would be safer one more as LB cover - but that is all this window.

Bruno Manga and Matt Connolly are maybe 'fill ins' as full back is not their main position but have done a great job in most games they have played - not so good when unable to deal with serious pace, but more good than bad on their report sheet.

We have the best group of centre backs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Real full backs?

Peltier, Bennett and Richards are very good full backs at Championship level (and I think the last two would hold their own in the league above). We would be safer one more as LB cover - but that is all this window.

Bruno Manga and Matt Connolly are maybe 'fill ins' as full back is not their main position but have done a great job in most games they have played - not so good when unable to deal with serious pace, but more good than bad on their report sheet.

I agree with regards to Bennett particularly but to a lesser extent with the two others. Hope you don’t mind me agreeing with you, also.

Sol and Bruno were excellent, but when he's fit, the captain will be straight back in.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree with regards to Bennett particularly but to a lesser extent with the two others. Hope you don’t mind me agreeing with you, also.
    You're right to single out Bennett. Based on my limited knowledge my feeling is he's the best left back in the league. Think Neil would talk him up more if it weren't for his problematic minimum release clause.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Real full backs?

Real full , backs as in not centre backs , playing there ie Manga ,Connolly and perhaps not Patterson.

Agree Peltier, Bennett and Richards are good ,Pelts the better true full back .

I don't get the determination by some to get Morrison out of the team - Bamba was magnificent against Hull and Manga wasn't far behind him, but it's hardly as if we were leaking goals galore with Morrison in the side. If Morrison is not available for, say, the next five games and Bamba and Manga play as well as they did on Saturday throughout them all, then there's a decision to be made about leaving the captain out, but only then as far as I'm concerned.

Thought Manga was fantastic, coming up the pitch to pick up loose balls and make interceptions.

Morrison is a brilliant defender too, people say manga is prone to a mistake and I tend to agree, so is Bamba though, and Morrison too..Morrison doesn't always make the right choices for me either (but that is being petty)
    I think we have a fantastic unit at the back, I'll never forget watching one game where Morrison didn't lose a header and there were still people around me moaning about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

Morrison has been one of the players of the season, not to mention he's our best attacker of a ball in their box. He also covers for Bamba when Sol steps into midfield to win the ball etc. We are very lucky to have the defenders we do, Peltier should be our first choice right back as well, he's solid as a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Thought Manga was fantastic, coming up the pitch to pick up loose balls and make interceptions.

Morrison is a brilliant defender too, people say manga is prone to a mistake and I tend to agree, so is Bamba though, and Morrison too..Morrison doesn't always make the right choices for me either (but that is being petty)
    I think we have a fantastic unit at the back, I'll never forget watching one game where Morrison didn't lose a header and there were still people around me moaning about him.
    In all my years watching city I've never known a position to be criticized quite like the centre half. We've been blessed with some terrific centre backs over the years but I honestly think Bamba has taken it to another level.

I think in terms of options we have the best CB's in the league. What Morrison does for us is very under rated, he has his moments but don't think he ever has a bad overagame. He's not as quick or good with the ball at his feet as the other 2 but more of an old fahsioned centre half and seems like he's developed into a great leader, reminds me of Hudson during our league title season.

However, I think Bamba and Manga on their day are the best CB partnership in the league and on Saturday I actually thought Manga just about deserved MOTM ahead of Bamba (maybe Sol's goal tipped it in his favour). He was cutting out every pass before it even reached their forwards and didn't put a foot wrong. He does however occasionally have an off day and defenders do sometimes get the better of him, although that doesn't happen often to be fair.

We are blessed with very good centre halves though, as we often have been in this league!

Blue in the Face

JNC is largely written how I feel here.

The OP isn't intended to be a dig at Morrison at all. I keep reading how Sean is "underappreciated", but it seems to me going off this board that huge swathes of our fans greatly appreciated him.

If anyone is underappreciated, I feel it's Manga (after Peltier). His first season with us he was player of the season. But following that he rightly earned his error prone reputation. But it's unfair I feel if he can't hold his place (if he continues to play this well) all because of form from a previous season.

We're just in an odd position of having a bunch of CBs who are at the same level. Connolly of two years ago is pretty much at that level too...