+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Tomlin question....

Lee Tomlin question....

And apologies if this has been asked and discussed already but.....I read recently that Colin said that Tomlin still isn't match fit, and so can't play a full 90 mins.

I know that he has had the court case hanging over him and is now doing his Community Service as a result, but is Tomlin carrying some long term injury which is preventing him from getting fully fit, as if that IS the case, he wouldn't be playing at all?

Colin made some reference to Tomlin's 'genes' (I suspect that he is unlucky enough to have to work on fitness far more than most, which must be a right pain) but why ISN'T he match fit? We have had him for a few months now, and he hasn't been playing, so how long does it take to become match fit?!

I can't wait to see him as a regular starter.

Re: Lee Tomlin question....

He's probably fit..

But to get MATCH fit then he needs game time I'd imagine.

You get match fit when you play matches, he has no injuries, just that with the court case and community service not exactly getting full training is he? and they way the team has been playing, Warnock did not want to change a winning team, there is going to be plenty of opportunity for him in the new year

Who is this "COLIN" fella

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    You get match fit when you play matches, he has no injuries, just that with the court case and community service not exactly getting full training is he? and they way the team has been playing, Warnock did not want to change a winning team, there is going to be plenty of opportunity for him in the new year
    Let me find the interview with Colin and you'll see what I mean.

'Sharpness' comes with playing games, but he clearly states that Tomlin has not be match fit and not able to complete 90 mins. That to me is very odd as he has been with us since the summer and must have had SOME level of fitness when he joined....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Let me find the interview with Colin and you'll see what I mean.

'Sharpness' comes with playing games, but he clearly states that Tomlin has not be match fit and not able to complete 90 mins. That to me is very odd as he has been with us since the summer and must have had SOME level of fitness when he joined....
    Here you go:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...rnock-14042236

'We lose him for a day a week' - what does he do during that day then, other than his community service?! Drink 20 pints and gorge on Mars bars?!

He missed pre season most of it anyway and was only handed a couple of 10 mins here and there

Its obvious that if NW thought he was fit enough he would play him more, so why is everyone constantly moaning that he is not played enough ?. The fact that he is not picking him regularly should be good enough for us, bearing in mind what NW has achieved so far. As for why he is not fit - he missed most of pre season, then had niggling injuries, then had his court case and appearances to worry about and now is doing community service every week. Its not surprising that he's not fit is it, with all that going on. Most of a players core fitness is down to what he puts in pre-season. They are trying to get him fit enough to play every week but it is a long process and difficult once the season has started. Trust in NW and give him a break.

I think he needs to start the next game. He's done more than enough to prove his value to the side. If he doesn't start he should be coming on sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Its obvious that if NW thought he was fit enough he would play him more, so why is everyone constantly moaning that he is not played enough ?. The fact that he is not picking him regularly should be good enough for us, bearing in mind what NW has achieved so far. As for why he is not fit - he missed most of pre season, then had niggling injuries, then had his court case and appearances to worry about and now is doing community service every week. Its not surprising that he's not fit is it, with all that going on. Most of a players core fitness is down to what he puts in pre-season. They are trying to get him fit enough to play every week but it is a long process and difficult once the season has started. Trust in NW and give him a break.
    I quite agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I get the impression that NW thinks Tomlin will never have it in him to play the way NW wants his team to play, but that he thinks the alternative skills that he has to offer outweighs his lack of athletic ability against some teams. So Lee will play when we are short or when the team needs a skilled locksmith to open up a packed defence later in a game.

As we saw against Hull in the first half, when the other side is fresh Lee could barely get close to the ball. I'd put his wayward passing in that period down to lack of match fitness but he did himself no favours when he was unable to even play a simple ball through, given that is meant to be his key skill.

Right now I do not think anyone can question NW's tactics, except with the benefit of hindsight, as he's got a bunch of players to a level that is far greater than the apparent sum of their parts. Long may he continue to keep making the right calls...

And apologies if this has been asked and discussed already but.....I read recently that Colin said that Tomlin still isn't match fit, and so can't play a full 90 mins.

I know that he has had the court case hanging over him and is now doing his Community Service as a result, but is Tomlin carrying some long term injury which is preventing him from getting fully fit, as if that IS the case, he wouldn't be playing at all?

Colin made some reference to Tomlin's 'genes' (I suspect that he is unlucky enough to have to work on fitness far more than most, which must be a right pain) but why ISN'T he match fit? We have had him for a few months now, and he hasn't been playing, so how long does it take to become match fit?!

Can you please refrain from calling our wonderful manager Colin. Thanks in advance.

I get the feeling he's not a natural fit player and has to work harder than most to get to that level and as he gets older that may not change . He maybe gone if we go up .

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Can you please refrain from calling our wonderful manager Colin. Thanks in advance.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It’s Colin Wanker. Some people hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Stants brother View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. It’s Colin Wanker. Some people hey.
    Classy

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I get the impression that NW thinks Tomlin will never have it in him to play the way NW wants his team to play, but that he thinks the alternative skills that he has to offer outweighs his lack of athletic ability against some teams. So Lee will play when we are short or when the team needs a skilled locksmith to open up a packed defence later in a game.

As we saw against Hull in the first half, when the other side is fresh Lee could barely get close to the ball. I'd put his wayward passing in that period down to lack of match fitness but he did himself no favours when he was unable to even play a simple ball through, given that is meant to be his key skill.

Right now I do not think anyone can question NW's tactics, except with the benefit of hindsight, as he's got a bunch of players to a level that is far greater than the apparent sum of their parts. Long may he continue to keep making the right calls...
    Tarrabt didn't do a lot of running around but was qpr's best player imo Warnock bought Tomlin to fit that mould of player. the boy is class and we need to play him to our strength as the times he has played he's always made something happen, the goal against Ipswich was beautiful and because of his flick in the middle of the park

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Tarrabt didn't do a lot of running around but was qpr's best player imo Warnock bought Tomlin to fit that mould of player. the boy is class and we need to play him to our strength as the times he has played he's always made something happen, the goal against Ipswich was beautiful and because of his flick in the middle of the park
    I agree that Tomlin has the ability to make things happen. I was just commenting on the OP in terms of discussing why Tomlin doesn't play more.

If everyone is fit you could see a side with a back 4, Ralls and Gunnars, NML and Junior, Tomlin as CAM and Zohore/Bogle up front as being a really potent team.

I think he'll play a lot more in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Good point.

I'd be more than happy if he is anywhere near as effective as Tarrabt was during the season that QPR went up.

Good point.

I'd be more than happy if he is anywhere near as effective as Tarrabt was during the season that QPR went up.
    When England won the World Cup it was said that Ramsey had 10 men playing to Orders .....and one Bobby Charlton.

Maybe Tomlinson, Tarabat etc fit into that model?

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    When England won the World Cup it was said that Ramsey had 10 men playing to Orders .....and one Bobby Charlton.

Maybe Tomlinson, Tarabat etc fit into that model?
    In every book and report I've read on the 1996 World Cup Final, I've read Bobby was told in no uncertain terms, to not leave the side of Beckenbauer !

thus taking 2 great players out of the match.

I thought it was the other way around and Beckenbauer was told to man-mark Charlton!

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I thought it was the other way around and Beckenbauer was told to man-mark Charlton!
    NOPE

That's why they threw the game in Mexico, 4 years later.

2-0 up and strolling, takes Charlton off, Beckenbauer took over the game.

Wallop 3-2, before you know it

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I get the feeling he's not a natural fit player and has to work harder than most to get to that level and as he gets older that may not change . He maybe gone if we go up .
    I get the feeling he's a fat bastard tbh, that pathetic "big ribs" comment...

He's a professional footballer, earning a professional footballers wage. Onus is on him to manage his weight and fitness, he's not a bloody child.

Nobody is saying he has to have the greatest cardio in the history of football but when the view of the staff of the club is that he can't at this point manage 90 minutes it's absolutely pathetic.

All I hear is excuse after excuse... oh community service. That stops him using an exercise bike after finishing the service? If you've got the drive to want to play 90 minutes each and every game, then you work your bollocks off to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I get the feeling he's a fat bastard tbh, that pathetic "big ribs" comment...

He's a professional footballer, earning a professional footballers wage. Onus is on him to manage his weight and fitness, he's not a bloody child.

Nobody is saying he has to have the greatest cardio in the history of football but when the view of the staff of the club is that he can't at this point manage 90 minutes it's absolutely pathetic.

All I hear is excuse after excuse... oh community service. That stops him using an exercise bike after finishing the service? If you've got the drive to want to play 90 minutes each and every game, then you work your bollocks off to achieve it.
    Go tell the other office boys to stop picking on you mate, go have a 10 minute sit down onbthe bogs and calm down.. walk and have a coffee..