+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the void of forgotten players

Into the void of forgotten players

I was thinking the other day about some of the players that played for us down the years that I haven't thought about for years and never went on to do anything in the game. The likes of Fan Zhiyi, Iwan Redan, Leyton Maxwell etc. Before I came to Tokyo, I hadn't thought about Junichi Inamoto, but I often mention him thesedays when when asked which team I support and the blank looks that I get.

Anyone else that you haven't thought about for years?

Re: Into the void of forgotten players

Inamoto has had a pretty decent career and is still playing. He also has 83 caps for Japan. To put that in perspective, that's more international caps than Gary Lineker, Mark Hughes, Ian Rush or Rio Ferdinand. Sounds like the people who ask you what team you support perhaps don't follow football.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Inamoto has had a pretty decent career and is still playing. He also has 83 caps for Japan. To put that in perspective, that's more international caps than Gary Lineker, Mark Hughes, Ian Rush or Rio Ferdinand. Sounds like the people who ask you what team you support perhaps don't follow football.
    Well, out here people only really know Premier League clubs or their own players (Okazaki etc.). The reason I mention Inamaoto to them is that it might spark some memory of him playing for City and they might actually know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    Well, out here people only really know Premier League clubs or their own players (Okazaki etc.). The reason I mention Inamaoto to them is that it might spark some memory of him playing for City and they might actually know what I'm talking about.
    Should also have said, most people out here have no clue what Cardiff is, despite the Champions League Final or any other reason. So mentioning Inamoto gives them some kind of possible reference. I did the same with Kimbo when I lived in Korea before we got promoted.

Tommy Halliday

Some of the pre millenium generation footballers must get pissed off when they see salaries in the championship. I dare say footballers who played in the old division one in the 80s had to keep working after retirement on probably a lot less wages to pay mortgages etc.

Championship footballers are if they’ve got sense mortgage free with a tidy house and a fair few grand in the bank.

To be fair, Japan play a helluva lot of football. 83 caps for them is a 3 season achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Some of the pre millenium generation footballers must get pissed off when they see salaries in the championship. I dare say footballers who played in the old division one in the 80s had to keep working after retirement on probably a lot less wages to pay mortgages etc.

Championship footballers are if they’ve got sense mortgage free with a tidy house and a fair few grand in the bank.
    I remember my old man telling me about Jon Charles' sports gear shop that he opened after he retired and how he was a pretty bad businessman. Lovely bloke though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I remember my old man telling me about Jon Charles' sports gear shop that he opened after he retired and how he was a pretty bad businessman. Lovely bloke though.
    L
    Yeah I’ve heard that about him as well. Can you imagine if he was around today? He’d be on Bale esque money !

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Bob Hatton
    Tony Evans
    Tarky Michalef
    Derek Showers
    Adrian Alston
    Disco Des Hamilton
    Tarki works for WNO - well he did @10 years ago.

Danny Showers was a postman - maybe he still is.

Tony Evans apparently is still walking on water

Lots of the Scoular team squad still live in and around Cardiff.

First Team

Ron Healey became a porter in Manchester airport and now runs a goalkeeper academy.

L
    Yeah I’ve heard that about him as well. Can you imagine if he was around today? He’d be on Bale esque money !
    On that theme did Len Ashurst work the counter in his trophy shop in canton

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    On that theme did Len Ashurst work the counter in his trophy shop in canton
    Was it ever open? Every time I walked past there it was closed!

I doubt whether many of that generation worked as hard as today's footballers. Back then could make it to the very top on natural talent alone.

I doubt whether many of that generation worked as hard as today's footballers. Back then could make it to the very top on natural talent alone.
    Yet football was more fun and more entertaining.

Modern players may train harder but they are paid really obscene ammounts of money.

The old boys were just ordinary folks like the fans and for me the game
    was a lot better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Tommy Halliday
    Yep, fat Scottish got. Definitely a case of who ate all the pies. Decent enough in front of goals mind.
    Ps where is he now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Was it ever open? Every time I walked past there it was closed!
    yes i noticed that i'd look in, nothing but darkness, I don't think he was ever in there ,it was just a shop front with dusty cups in the window,a bit of a "league of gentleman" shop look about it , in fact ,very worrying ,its making me shiver as I type

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Yep, fat Scottish got. Definitely a case of who ate all the pies. Decent enough in front of goals mind.
    Ps where is he now?
    Hardly played if I recall, good shout from the past though👍

Nathan Wigg
    Pat Heard
    Cameron Toshack
    Scott Partridge
    Chris Brazier

What about this fella:---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...n_(footballer)

Last time I seen him he was belting out songs, down the HIGHWAYMAN.

And who could ever forget this beauty:---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Zo%C3%AFs

Andy Polycarpou appears to be such a nonentity he doesn’t justify a Wiki page.

Tony Vidmar and Gary Croft