+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Detectorists

The Detectorists

That's it then. Gone for good, I'll miss that, anyone else ?

Re: The Detectorists

Yes! The best bit of the three series was when the walkers come past asking the same questions to Lance. My late Father who was a detectorist for thirty years, used to tell me that the same questions were asked to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    That's it then. Gone for good, I'll miss that, anyone else ?
    What you mean gone for good?

All three were excellent. Typically British understated humour. I've already liked Toby Jones but he's become one of my favourite actors. I agree that's probably the end of it now, which is very sad.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh - it's 'Detectorists' not 'The Detectorists'

Loved it. Thought they were stretching it with a 3rd series but my fears were soon forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh - it's 'Detectorists' not 'The Detectorists'

Loved it. Thought they were stretching it with a 3rd series but my fears were soon forgotten.
    Odd to think though that a nicely crafted British sitcom can run its course over 3 series, and 18 episodes and call it a day there and be considered a success.

If it was an American sitcom 18 episodes would be 1 season, and for it to have run its course by then would be considered a failure

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Odd to think though that a nicely crafted British sitcom can run its course over 3 series, and 18 episodes and call it a day there and be considered a success.

If it was an American sitcom 18 episodes would be 1 season, and for it to have run its course by then would be considered a failure
    Also why 99% of American sitcoms tail off and the writers run out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Also why 99% of American sitcoms tail off and the writers run out of ideas.
    But if an American sitcom tails off sometime in series 3 , that would be like a UK sitcom going stale after like 10 series. I can't think of too many UK sitcoms that have made it that long.
    Red Dwarf I suppose.
    Things like QI have ridiculous numbers of episodes, but that's just a panel show, so there's no narrative to maintain

Breaking Bad had just 7 episodes in series 1, or 1 pilot and 6 episodes if you prefer.

Superb , up there with Dads Army , and early series of Last of the Summer Wine .