+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you saw advertised on telly as a kid and nagged your parents to buy you only to.........

Things you saw advertised on telly as a kid and nagged your parents to buy you only to.........

Find that the advert and the reality were some distance apart.

Two products stand out for me.

1. Tins of Spinach , made famous by Popeye the sailorman. Supposed to make
    you superhumanly strong but didn't and tasted like putrid shit.

2. PLJ - stood for Pure Lemon Juice but advertised as a refreshing squash type
    product when it was so sharp as to be undrinkable.

The slaps I got as a kid for creating a fuss to be bought these products only
    to say " they taste awful " live with me to this day.

Parents beware.

Re: Things you saw advertised on telly as a kid and nagged your parents to buy you only to.........

In Superman comics (and indeed many DC Comics) I remember the adverts for X-Ray specs, ant farms and Tootsie Rolls - all expressed in US dollars, of course. They seemed to belong to another planet.

Re: Things you saw advertised on telly as a kid and nagged your parents to buy you only to.........

Arctic Roll - cake and ice cream together. Wow that was ground breaking (it was the 70’s)

Super Flight Deck game.....totally mis-sold

Johnny Severn gun for Xmas , never got it, too poor.

Stannah stair lift and a Shackleton's high seat chair.

I got a slinky instead!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

eBay item number:
    Go on you know you want it.

All that stuff by K-Tel and Ronco. It was shit.
    My parents bought me the K-Tel "record selector" thing - you stuck your LPs in it, tilted the first one forward and all the others slowly 'paged' forward until you picked one out.
    But it couldn't handle gate-fold or doubles, and I reckoned it could snap the edge off the record anyway, so I never used it.

Vesta curries. Klackers.

Action man safari boat with battery powered outboard motor. Fed up with filling the bath I tried it on Barry lake. It sank halfway across so I waded in to try and find it. Believe me with all the crap at the bottom of the lake and murky water I realise why they took so long to find the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Action man safari boat with battery powered outboard motor. Fed up with filling the bath I tried it on Barry lake. It sank halfway across so I waded in to try and find it. Believe me with all the crap at the bottom of the lake and murky water I realise why they took so long to find the Titanic.

Squirmles.

Golden Nuggets cereal.

We didnt have a telly

Hoffmeister. Didn’t come with a bear.

The mouse trap game,such a let down when I had it for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Are you kidding? That was a great game. One of the only games that actually did what it said on the tin!!

Wanted an Action Man but ended up with a cheap copy. Just wasn't the same.
    I was though the first kid to have a digital watch with a calculator on it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wanted an Action Man but ended up with a cheap copy. Just wasn't the same.
    I was though the first kid to have a digital watch with a calculator on it.
    Same here, back in the mid sixties I got this instead of action man.

http://www.kenbarbieclones1960s-1990...r-doll.jpg?250

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    That’s the one that stuck in my mind. I am sure I got a job at around 7 years old and saved for 3 years until Imowned one .
    Well worth it .😀

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Hoffmeister. Didn’t come with a bear.
    nor any alcohol.

up there with skol and allbright for being shit

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    nor any alcohol.

up there with skol and allbright for being shit
    Good tune with the advert though.

Scalextric.
    Always wanted one but for what seemed like decades never quite got a set, I did get what seemed to be some cheap imitation a few times, "hot wheels" and "superfast" cars etc...
    Eventually got the basic figure of 8 when I was about twelve or thirteen. We used to buy extra bits from Bud Morgan's and have giant circuits with mates.
    It was fantastic. Oh the excitement!!
    Took hours to get it all out, figure out what piece of track went where, add all the barriers, fanny about with the braids on the cars, check the track for continuity, put Fleetwood Mac The Chain record on and.... YESSS!!
    Playing with it for all of about 10 minutes til boredom set in!
    Couldn't leave the track up as my mother used to go mad as it took up most of the floor space!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    eBay item number:
    Go on you know you want it.
    Its kept its same value ,lad across the road had it , I was dead jealous .

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Are you kidding? That was a great game. One of the only games that actually did what it said on the tin!!

All the fun was in the building of the trap.
    Once finished, it was crap.