+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Substitution?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tomlin Substitution?

What was that all about? On for ten minutes as a sub, then pulled off in injury time for Feeney-Don't know if Tomlin had a knock, as nothing was said on the radio, and Tomlin supposedly shrugged his shoulders on the way off. If i'm going to jump to conclusions (and I am) looks as though Warnock was punishing Tomlin (if he was not injured) hope that's not the case, although it seems a shit thing to do to Tomlin.

Re: Tomlin Substitution?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What was that all about? On for ten minutes as a sub, then pulled off in injury time for Feeney-Don't know if Tomlin had a knock, as nothing was said on the radio, and Tomlin supposedly shrugged his shoulders on the way off. If i'm going to jump to conclusions (and I am) looks as though Warnock was punishing Tomlin (if he was not injured) hope that's not the case, although it seems a shit thing to do to Tomlin.
    Warnock is well known for his man management skills. Some need a cuddle, some need a kick up the arse.

Maybe he's just got to the point with Tomlin where he feels he's done all he can with regards to the "carrot" approach and needs to start using the "stick".

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Warnock is well known for his man management skills. Some need a cuddle, some need a kick up the arse.

Maybe he's just got to the point with Tomlin where he feels he's done all he can with regards to the "carrot" approach and needs to start using the "stick".
    Whatever the reason, we do need to get things back on track quickly.
    I know it is only our fourth defeat this season but injuries and a shortage of quality is starting to show.
    Good to see Zohore come on today although he may struggle if the creativity is missing.
    I am now very concerned that the quality at Derby will overtake us quickly and we face the lottery of the play off's.

The potential midfield signing in January is now crucial.

Oh God. I just assumed that he picked up an injury as it is a weird thing to happen, to sub a sub especially after he has been on the pitch for such a short period of time. 🙈

Perhaps he wants to piss him so he can get rid in January and bring another player like Greg Halford in

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Perhaps he wants to piss him so he can get rid in January and bring another player like Greg Halford in
    Halford shouldn't be anywhere near it. I'm not sticking up for Tomlin, Warnock seems very frustrated with him, and it looks to me like a dose of humiliation was sent Tomlin's way. Hope i'm wrong, and the people that went may have seen things differently. Very odd.

Halford shouldn't be anywhere near it. I'm not sticking up for Tomlin, Warnock seems very frustrated with him, and it looks to me like a dose of humiliation was sent Tomlin's way. Hope i'm wrong, and the people that went may have seen things differently. Very odd.
    Gunnarsson is out long term now. Bryson also injured.

What's the alternative to Halford as DM? Bamba again and bring Connolly in?

We miss Bryson more than most realise imo.

Perhaps he done it to deflect away from questions on his own failings today.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Perhaps he done it to deflect away from questions on his own failings today.
    Very odd selection today why the **** halford played I don't know there was no need for 3 in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Very odd selection today why the **** halford played I don't know there was no need for 3 in the middle
    Agree, and Halford was sitting infront of the back four doing nothing, a lone striker, when maybe a flat 442 could've been an option, i know that we're struggling for strikers, but i'd give Mendez a shout up front with Bogle, or as it was later-Zohore.

Agree, and Halford was sitting infront of the back four doing nothing, a lone striker, when maybe a flat 442 could've been an option, i know that we're struggling for strikers, but i'd give Mendez a shout up front with Bogle, or as it was later-Zohore.
    Go 4-4-2 and Ralls and Damour would have been overrun.

Go 4-4-2 and Ralls and Damour would have been overrun.
    That's not a given, depends how we play, how the striker holds the ball and how wingers tuck in. There's a massive reliance on our wingers doing the damage, today it didn't work, Bolton sounded like a physical outfit, maybe an extra man up front would have given them something to think about, nothing was sticking, hence the belting we seemed to have (physically) in midfield today, Bolton are no footballing side, they won battles, and that started up front.

According to a poster on **** it was for wasting time arguing with the ref. Pissed Warnock off and he subbed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    According to a poster on **** it was for wasting time arguing with the ref. Pissed Warnock off and he subbed him.

If that's true, then it's the second time he's done that and I don't think Warnock can be faulted for hauling him off. Carry on doing the same stupid thing, patience will wear out.

Tomlin squared up to Pratley.
    Last thing we need is to lose another player on a ban

He will never ever ever learn.

He didn’t learn at City. Didn’t learn at Middlesbrough, at Bournemouth or at Peterborough.

He has the talent of a Premier League player.
    He has the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player.

This is why he is pissing his career up against the wall.
    A fantastically gifted player but an unfit waste of space as a bloke.
    Such a shame.

What Cardiff are seeing is what umpteen other clubs have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post

He didn’t learn at City. Didn’t learn at Middlesbrough, at Bournemouth or at Peterborough.

Such a shame.

I have a REALLY hard time believing that Neil Warnock would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player.
    I have a hard time believing Lee Johnson would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player. Especially after having him on loan.

I can see how you could be seduced into having a controversial and critical opinion though. You just seem like that kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I have a REALLY hard time believing that Neil Warnock would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player.
    I have a hard time believing Lee Johnson would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player. Especially after having him on loan.

I can see how you could be seduced into having a controversial and critical opinion though. You just seem like that kind of guy.
    Why would you not believe that? Virtually every manager believes thay can turn a player around; it's how risk averse they are.

What we know is that throughout his career, there have been major documented fitness issues, there have been dressing room bustups.

Warnock has decided Tomlin is worth the risk. If it pays off is the question, can Tomlin avoid outstaying his welcome as he has done everywhere he's been.

Why would you not believe that? Virtually every manager believes thay can turn a player around; it's how risk averse they are.

What we know is that throughout his career, there have been major documented fitness issues, there have been dressing room bustups.

Warnock has decided Tomlin is worth the risk. If it pays off is the question, can Tomlin avoid outstaying his welcome as he has done everywhere he's been.
    Firstly, I don't believe that "virtually every manager believes they can turn a player around". There's no evidence to support that statement.

Secondly, where are the "major documented fitness issues"? His body-type notwithstanding, he's made plenty of appearances at other clubs.

Lastly, I'm of the opinion that Warnock is neither the type of manager nor in the position to openly take risks of the magnitude of signing someone with "the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player". Particularly for the reported £2.9M fee.

Firstly, I don't believe that "virtually every manager believes they can turn a player around". There's no evidence to support that statement.

Secondly, where are the "major documented fitness issues"? His body-type notwithstanding, he's made plenty of appearances at other clubs.

Lastly, I'm of the opinion that Warnock is neither the type of manager nor in the position to openly take risks of the magnitude of signing someone with "the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player". Particularly for the reported £2.9M fee.
    Firstly, all managers have confidence in their ability at man management or they'd not be doing it...

Secondly, every single club Tomlin has been at his fitness has been an issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...r-Arsenal.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/9001984.stm
    http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/ne...ls-lee-tomlin/

Tomlin has played games, sure, plenty as sub.

There's a clear pattern. Every club he's been at there have been issues, fitness, attitude.

Warnock has shot down the £2.9m fee, figure I recall was nearer £1.5m - which is a bargain if he achieves his maximum potential.

Tomlin has all the skill in the world. I'd love him out there, every single game for every single minute. Reality is, you have to look at everything. Since his Peterborough stint, he's started at a new club and done well, been beloved only to be offloaded after the second season. I'm suggesting there are reasons for that. Like I said, all the skill in the world, able to change a game in a second yet teams are happy to get rid of him.

This is realistically his last chance at really achieving something at the highest level imo. I hate seeing quality players wasting their talent, which he's done throughout his career. He's at a club where the manager is second to none in terms of man management. If he can't turn things around here then I'd suggest he's done at top level. I hope that he does as it would be a shame on a number of levels.

The fee for Tomlin was £1.6m, as confirmed verbally by NW last week. Dont believe what you read in the press. Thats a snip at today's inflated prices and well worth a manager taking a chance on him. It would cost that in loan fees to get even a second rate player in.

The Tomlin we had on loan was not the Tomlin that played the 2nd season as a BCFC player.
    It’s almost as if we signed a doppelgänger who was a stone heavier and a yard slower.

So yes I think Johnson was right to sign the player he did and offload the player he did.
    What went on in between I have no idea.

But it was against Burton at home. When he again lost the ball, strolled back as they attacked and watched Aden Flint cover half the pitch to get back and clean up Tomlins error before berating him that I realized he probably needs to not be in the team.

Still sad he left, because he has potential.
    I just don’t think he’ll ever realise it.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Such a shame.

How did the Bristol City fans react to him moving to Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    How did the Bristol City fans react to him moving to Cardiff?
    They were gutted as was I.
    Because as I said he has bucket loads of natural talent and can do things that aren’t picked up by training.

But something also wasn’t right.
    He wasn’t getting in the team. Why is a player of that much talent not even getting in the starting line up or even getting on?
    There were rumours he had a set-to in the changing room with Johnson or McAllister.

I recall coming back from a game up north and running into AFC Bournemouth fans at service station when he was in his first season with us.
    They asked how Tomlin was doing.
    I heard “thing is his attitude with us was fkin awful and his fitness was bullshit. In the end Eddie Howe had enough and told him to **** off out the club”

I think majority of fans felt like me. I wish he sorted his fitness out and his attitude (I saw him stroll back after losing the ball any number of times) because he has undoubted ability.
    That’s why I was gutted more for his potential than what he was doing - which last season was warming the bench.

If Warnock wanted to give us £2m+ then I’d begrudgingly say the club were right to take it.

While social media isn’t everything.
    Notable that Tammy Abraham got well wishes from at least 80% of the squad when he left.
    Tomlin I think got one from John Pemberton the former coach and maybe Mark Little.

Like I said I think he’s a superbly gifted player but obviously a bit of a tool personality wise.
    That many clubs don’t move you on without a reason?

They were gutted as was I.
    Because as I said he has bucket loads of natural talent and can do things that aren’t picked up by training.

But something also wasn’t right.
    He wasn’t getting in the team. Why is a player of that much talent not even getting in the starting line up or even getting on?
    There were rumours he had a set-to in the changing room with Johnson or McAllister.

I recall coming back from a game up north and running into AFC Bournemouth fans at service station when he was in his first season with us.
    They asked how Tomlin was doing.
    I heard “thing is his attitude with us was fkin awful and his fitness was bullshit. In the end Eddie Howe had enough and told him to **** off out the club”

I think majority of fans felt like me. I wish he sorted his fitness out and his attitude (I saw him stroll back after losing the ball any number of times) because he has undoubted ability.
    That’s why I was gutted more for his potential than what he was doing - which last season was warming the bench.

If Warnock wanted to give us £2m+ then I’d begrudgingly say the club were right to take it.

While social media isn’t everything.
    Notable that Tammy Abraham got well wishes from at least 80% of the squad when he left.
    Tomlin I think got one from John Pemberton the former coach and maybe Mark Little.

Like I said I think he’s a superbly gifted player but obviously a bit of a tool personality wise.
    That many clubs don’t move you on without a reason?
    It must be christmas,a post that could be correct from you.But he is our player now and i think we will get the best out of him