+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Substitution?

Re: Tomlin Substitution?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Manga is my choice as a defensive midfielder
    I'd agree with that personally. With Morrison out though, not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    He will never ever ever learn.

He didn’t learn at City. Didn’t learn at Middlesbrough, at Bournemouth or at Peterborough.

He has the talent of a Premier League player.
    He has the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player.

This is why he is pissing his career up against the wall.
    A fantastically gifted player but an unfit waste of space as a bloke.
    Such a shame.

What Cardiff are seeing is what umpteen other clubs have seen.
    I suspect your spot on , seen players like this before , let's say he's on 15k a week, what more would a player with poor
    motivation skills want ,pick his wage ,bit of trickery here and there , odd 20 minute cameo,fans think he's the new messiah , ,down the pub,another hard earned 15k .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I suspect your spot on , seen players like this before , let's say he's on 15k a week, what more would a player with poor
    motivation skills want ,pick his wage ,bit of trickery here and there , odd 20 minute cameo,fans think he's the new messiah , ,down the pub,another hard earned 15k .
    Look, he's making a decent enough point but,y'know, it's the mad wurzel. Don't encourage him...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fair enough, you play it safe! Ask yourself the question, how often does it happen? and on the rare occassion it does happen, it's either because the player has pissed off the manager, or a goalkeeper has been sent off, and an outfield player needs sacrificing. So, i'm going to ask the question. If i'm wrong, then so be it.
    You are right. It is such an unusual occurrence it is only natural that people will ask questions.

Not that Colin will care of course. And rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    You are right. It is such an unusual occurrence it is only natural that people will ask questions.

Not that Colin will care of course. And rightly so.
    Yup, Warnock is doing a wonderful job, but I sense that he has big frustrations with Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Warnock is well known for his man management skills. Some need a cuddle, some need a kick up the arse.

Maybe he's just got to the point with Tomlin where he feels he's done all he can with regards to the "carrot" approach and needs to start using the "stick".
    Whatever the reason, we do need to get things back on track quickly.
    I know it is only our fourth defeat this season but injuries and a shortage of quality is starting to show.
    Good to see Zohore come on today although he may struggle if the creativity is missing.
    I am now very concerned that the quality at Derby will overtake us quickly and we face the lottery of the play off's.

The potential midfield signing in January is now crucial.

He didn’t learn at City. Didn’t learn at Middlesbrough, at Bournemouth or at Peterborough.

Such a shame.

I have a REALLY hard time believing that Neil Warnock would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player.
    I have a hard time believing Lee Johnson would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player. Especially after having him on loan.

I can see how you could be seduced into having a controversial and critical opinion though. You just seem like that kind of guy.

I will back Warnocks judgment on this one. Whatever went on. As mentioned yonks in credit. Not surprised we lost today given the team we put out and the league we are in. It can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I have a REALLY hard time believing that Neil Warnock would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player.
    I have a hard time believing Lee Johnson would sign a man with the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player. Especially after having him on loan.

I can see how you could be seduced into having a controversial and critical opinion though. You just seem like that kind of guy.
    Why would you not believe that? Virtually every manager believes thay can turn a player around; it's how risk averse they are.

What we know is that throughout his career, there have been major documented fitness issues, there have been dressing room bustups.

Warnock has decided Tomlin is worth the risk. If it pays off is the question, can Tomlin avoid outstaying his welcome as he has done everywhere he's been.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I will back Warnocks judgment on this one. Whatever went on. As mentioned yonks in credit. Not surprised we lost today given the team we put out and the league we are in. It can happen.
    So true,we just have to move on and win Boxing day

Nobody learns anything with your lot other than how to grow an extra finger.
    Reply to the post not the poster eh.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Reply to the post not the poster eh.
    I make an exception for the wurzel, plus that's not insulting the poster. Just reminding that wurzels are generally inbred genetic mutants.

Why would you not believe that? Virtually every manager believes thay can turn a player around; it's how risk averse they are.

What we know is that throughout his career, there have been major documented fitness issues, there have been dressing room bustups.

Warnock has decided Tomlin is worth the risk. If it pays off is the question, can Tomlin avoid outstaying his welcome as he has done everywhere he's been.
    Firstly, I don't believe that "virtually every manager believes they can turn a player around". There's no evidence to support that statement.

Secondly, where are the "major documented fitness issues"? His body-type notwithstanding, he's made plenty of appearances at other clubs.

Lastly, I'm of the opinion that Warnock is neither the type of manager nor in the position to openly take risks of the magnitude of signing someone with "the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player". Particularly for the reported £2.9M fee.

Connolly in at centre back??

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, Warnock is doing a wonderful job, but I sense that he has big frustrations with Tomlin.
    I think Warnock has seen off a few Tomlin's in his time .

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Firstly, I don't believe that "virtually every manager believes they can turn a player around". There's no evidence to support that statement.

Secondly, where are the "major documented fitness issues"? His body-type notwithstanding, he's made plenty of appearances at other clubs.

Lastly, I'm of the opinion that Warnock is neither the type of manager nor in the position to openly take risks of the magnitude of signing someone with "the attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player". Particularly for the reported £2.9M fee.
    Firstly, all managers have confidence in their ability at man management or they'd not be doing it...

Secondly, every single club Tomlin has been at his fitness has been an issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...r-Arsenal.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/9001984.stm
    http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/ne...ls-lee-tomlin/

Tomlin has played games, sure, plenty as sub.

There's a clear pattern. Every club he's been at there have been issues, fitness, attitude.

Warnock has shot down the £2.9m fee, figure I recall was nearer £1.5m - which is a bargain if he achieves his maximum potential.

Tomlin has all the skill in the world. I'd love him out there, every single game for every single minute. Reality is, you have to look at everything. Since his Peterborough stint, he's started at a new club and done well, been beloved only to be offloaded after the second season. I'm suggesting there are reasons for that. Like I said, all the skill in the world, able to change a game in a second yet teams are happy to get rid of him.

This is realistically his last chance at really achieving something at the highest level imo. I hate seeing quality players wasting their talent, which he's done throughout his career. He's at a club where the manager is second to none in terms of man management. If he can't turn things around here then I'd suggest he's done at top level. I hope that he does as it would be a shame on a number of levels.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Such a shame.

How did the Bristol City fans react to him moving to Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    How did the Bristol City fans react to him moving to Cardiff?
    They were gutted as was I.
    Because as I said he has bucket loads of natural talent and can do things that aren’t picked up by training.

But something also wasn’t right.
    He wasn’t getting in the team. Why is a player of that much talent not even getting in the starting line up or even getting on?
    There were rumours he had a set-to in the changing room with Johnson or McAllister.

I recall coming back from a game up north and running into AFC Bournemouth fans at service station when he was in his first season with us.
    They asked how Tomlin was doing.
    I heard “thing is his attitude with us was fkin awful and his fitness was bullshit. In the end Eddie Howe had enough and told him to **** off out the club”

I think majority of fans felt like me. I wish he sorted his fitness out and his attitude (I saw him stroll back after losing the ball any number of times) because he has undoubted ability.
    That’s why I was gutted more for his potential than what he was doing - which last season was warming the bench.

If Warnock wanted to give us £2m+ then I’d begrudgingly say the club were right to take it.

While social media isn’t everything.
    Notable that Tammy Abraham got well wishes from at least 80% of the squad when he left.
    Tomlin I think got one from John Pemberton the former coach and maybe Mark Little.

Like I said I think he’s a superbly gifted player but obviously a bit of a tool personality wise.
    That many clubs don’t move you on without a reason?

They were gutted as was I.
    Because as I said he has bucket loads of natural talent and can do things that aren’t picked up by training.

But something also wasn’t right.
    He wasn’t getting in the team. Why is a player of that much talent not even getting in the starting line up or even getting on?
    There were rumours he had a set-to in the changing room with Johnson or McAllister.

I recall coming back from a game up north and running into AFC Bournemouth fans at service station when he was in his first season with us.
    They asked how Tomlin was doing.
    I heard “thing is his attitude with us was fkin awful and his fitness was bullshit. In the end Eddie Howe had enough and told him to **** off out the club”

I think majority of fans felt like me. I wish he sorted his fitness out and his attitude (I saw him stroll back after losing the ball any number of times) because he has undoubted ability.
    That’s why I was gutted more for his potential than what he was doing - which last season was warming the bench.

If Warnock wanted to give us £2m+ then I’d begrudgingly say the club were right to take it.

While social media isn’t everything.
    Notable that Tammy Abraham got well wishes from at least 80% of the squad when he left.
    Tomlin I think got one from John Pemberton the former coach and maybe Mark Little.

Like I said I think he’s a superbly gifted player but obviously a bit of a tool personality wise.
    That many clubs don’t move you on without a reason?
    It must be christmas,a post that could be correct from you.But he is our player now and i think we will get the best out of him

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    It must be christmas,a post that could be correct from you.But he is our player now and i think we will get the best out of him
    Well let’s see.
    I’ll ask this though -

A player is brought on with 20 mins left and is then taken off by the manager because at best the explanation is he might get sent off.

Now does that player sound a liability or an asset to his team mates?
    Irrelevant of the names of individual - when you look at it like that, that’s how I started to view his last months with us.

Firstly, all managers have confidence in their ability at man management or they'd not be doing it...

Secondly, every single club Tomlin has been at his fitness has been an issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...r-Arsenal.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/9001984.stm
    http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/ne...ls-lee-tomlin/

Tomlin has played games, sure, plenty as sub.

There's a clear pattern. Every club he's been at there have been issues, fitness, attitude.

Warnock has shot down the £2.9m fee, figure I recall was nearer £1.5m - which is a bargain if he achieves his maximum potential.

Tomlin has all the skill in the world. I'd love him out there, every single game for every single minute. Reality is, you have to look at everything. Since his Peterborough stint, he's started at a new club and done well, been beloved only to be offloaded after the second season. I'm suggesting there are reasons for that. Like I said, all the skill in the world, able to change a game in a second yet teams are happy to get rid of him.

This is realistically his last chance at really achieving something at the highest level imo. I hate seeing quality players wasting their talent, which he's done throughout his career. He's at a club where the manager is second to none in terms of man management. If he can't turn things around here then I'd suggest he's done at top level. I hope that he does as it would be a shame on a number of levels.
    This thread began with NW knowingly signing someone with the "attitude and fitness of a Sunday pub league player" and has ended up with "all managers have confidence in their ability at man-management". Quite a step down.

As for the articles you posted:

The first is from the Daily Mail. The second is from the start of season in which Tomlin played 47 games. The third is from this week.

We know Tomlin is not match fit. What's up for debate is whether Neil Warnock knowingly signed a lost cause.

He will be gone in January.

Waste of talent but equally a waste of space.

League 1 beckons.

Well let’s see.
    I’ll ask this though -

A player is brought on with 20 mins left and is then taken off by the manager because at best the explanation is he might get sent off.

Now does that player sound a liability or an asset to his team mates?
    Irrelevant of the names of individual - when you look at it like that, that’s how I started to view his last months with us.
    Just wait until he is playing to his full potential then we will laughing at what a steal he was.

Think you'll find it was the carrot muncher who made the "pub league" comment, not me.

The Mail link is actually a good read, explains a lot of his background and mentality.

The second he had to work on his fitness levels. Seven years ago. That shows he knows as a professional he has to not just improve but maintain fitness levels. It also shows he acknowledges that's a weakness of his. Manager threw him down a challenge to get fit and he'd regularly start - a challenge that clearly worked at that time.

The fact the last one is this week just makes the point about his fitness. He knows where he needs to be, isn't near that. My point is that Warnock's comment "He needs help and some people are like that. Some people have the genes, we are watching what he eats, how he trains" shows the player himself has a big part in that. "Watching what he eat" isn't match fitness, nothing to do with that whatsoever.

Tomlin has been in the game long enough to know where he needs to be how to look after his body. He controls what he easts after all.

I don't believe Warnock knowingly signed a lost cause nor do I believe Tomlin is a lost cause. What I'm saying is that if you need a manager to get the best out of you, there are few better choices than Warnock. If Tomlin blows it with us, I don't believe he'll ever play again where he should, at the highest levels.

It seems increasingly plain that our Neil can't stand the bloke, and brings him on for cameo appearances as a face-saving exercise for his comments about Tomlin when he signed.