+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas food shopping

Christmas food shopping

I went yesterday. Everything is open already and We have done nearly half of it. Every year I think I will make this last and be grateful cause I'm lucky with my family n circumstance. Almost all the cans are gone n me missus is face planted off gin. My boys got his nose in the fridge every 15 mins. I'm not complaining but I never learn🎅🎅

Re: Christmas food shopping

We just ate our heddlu in blankets, couldn't wait 'till Monday.

Look, the shops are only open a few hours on Sunday, and closed all day on Monday.

Therefore the British public must stock up with a month's supply of food, just in case it's needed.

Then next week throw out all the stuff that's a few minutes past its sell-by date.

When I was a kid I used to look in the back of my mums catalogue at the hampers. Used to always think how good it would be to have one for Christmas. Tinned ham n peaches n that. The way they laid it all out. Couple of pence a week for a year. I wonder if they still do em.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    When I was a kid I used to look in the back of my mums catalogue at the hampers. Used to always think how good it would be to have one for Christmas. Tinned ham n peaches n that. The way they laid it all out. Couple of pence a week for a year. I wonder if they still do em.
    we used to always have a hamper aswell, 50p a week , pretty sure it was from " parks "

used to always have stuff we never really brought during the year, it was always a big treat, though its not till you get older than you think " i know why we didnt buy " Tinned Ham " etc etc its cause we didnt really like it that much, though that might be due to times changing and having a little more disposable money ? ? ? i dont know

We did our shop last night, left the house at 8 and back home by 9, loads of spaces in the car park, it was like a normal shop, though they had sold out of Cucumber

this morning i took youngest to see a film ( the star, if any have young kids, its not too bad ) i drove past Tesco's on the way to cinema, they were queuing down the road to get in the car park ( its a massive car park aswell )

My mrs has a rule, no Christmas treats till Christmas eve, so as its gone 12, i am going to crack open the " chillie and lime cheese " and some crackers, we got 3 bits of chillie lime cheese as i know i would eat it ASAP, spent 27 fooking quid on cheese

I alternate between my both sister's houses. I'll get the usual shop and throw in half a trolley full of snacks and junk tomorrow.

I recall, about 25 years ago, before supermarkets were open 24 hours and Sundays, we managed to buy all our xmas stuff in advance, except for a few bits of fresh veg.
    So on xmas eve, I went over to Tesco St Mellons,, just before opening time.
    There was a queue of people with every available trolley all the way down the the building.
    When the doors opened, they began filing in, but I just walked in, grabbed a basket, got my veg and paid for it.
    As I walked out, there was still a huge queue filing in.
    I've never felt so smug

It’s madness.
    My Mrs spent about £200 on Friday and we did another £200 yesterday.
    I haven’t got booze yet!!!

Not bought anything yet as the missus has been working for the last four days. Heading off in a bit. If they haven't got what we need then so be it. It is only one day ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Not bought anything yet as the missus has been working for the last four days. Heading off in a bit. If they haven't got what we need then so be it. It is only one day ffs!
    What if they have run out of beer?
    I remember a few years back that Tesco culver ran out in Christmas Eve!

All the best with that!

Best part of Xmas. Can eat and drink like a gutsy bastard without her in my ear about going to the gym and being an alchy!

I’ve spent about 8 hours in supermarkets on Thursday night, Friday night, and yesterday morning. Marks, Asda, Tesco (twice), Aldi (3 times) and the Co-op but finally managed to get the last bits on the list in the Co-Op yesterday. Only thing we just could not get was bottles of Snowballs.

Started on it yesterday. Had these turkey, bacon, stuffing, and cranberry slices from Marks. Chucked them in a French baguette with Emmental cheese and some mustard. Delicious.

Few beers yesterday afternoon with loads of Pringles and some Florentines.

Last night made a curry and more beers.

This morning gypsy toast (bread dipped in eggs and fried) with bacon for breakfast.

Off out to the pub for lunch.

Tonight I’ve earmarked the tandoori prawn ring from Marks.

Happy eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    What if they have run out of beer?
    I remember a few years back that Tesco culver ran out in Christmas Eve!
    I have got a bottle of Jack Daniels in the cupboard for emergencies such as that possible scenario.

I have never bought any additional food for Christmas. I’ll never understand why people buy so much food, what a waste of money. I will be 8 stone before Christmas and 8 stone after. Everyone in work will be moaning how fat they are and how much weight they’ve put on, they’ll all go to weight watchers/slimming world and spend an absolute fortune trying to lose the weight they put on

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    It’s madness.
    My Mrs spent about £200 on Friday and we did another £200 yesterday.
    I haven’t got booze yet!!!
    what the feck did you buy

See you Boxing day mate

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    what the feck did you buy
    Lee Tomlin must be going around Toadys for Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Lee Tomlin must be going around Toadys for Xmas

Not spent a single second in any supermarket for the last 2 years over Christmas. We have Morrison’s delivered right to the doorstep. Cos we pay monthly for delivery they allow us to book a Christmas slot as early as October.

Had everything we wanted delivered yesterday right to the door, the wife went to Marks & Spencer yesterday to pick up the last bits we ordered online. Bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

This morning gypsy toast (bread dipped in eggs and fried) with bacon for breakfast.

Isn't that just eggy bread?

(as per The Royle Family)

Never heard it called gypsy toast. Actually, I'd never had nor heard of eggy bread either until a few years ago

Got torn a new one by her this morning for not covering the pate before putting it back in the fridge. Wait till she sees the dips. I've cross contaminated them n all. I'm relatively inexperienced at food like this cause we only ever have it at Christmas as a treat like.

We've not really bought in anything festive as we are going away today. So I'll have 24 hours of xmas fill while I'm away before driving back home Tuesday morning to go to the Fulham game.

So all the eats we have had have been the usual although last week has been very lazy so lots of unhealthy crap (it's lush) and the excuse that it's Christmas to justify so much alcohol.

I'm really not feeling Christmassy at all (do we have a scrooge smiley )

Anybody fancy a pre-Xmas scrap up in Beddau?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Isn't that just eggy bread?

(as per The Royle Family)

Never heard it called gypsy toast. Actually, I'd never had nor heard of eggy bread either until a few years ago
    I always thought it was called French toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Anybody fancy a pre-Xmas scrap up in Beddau?
    I would but its just started raining here