+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has anyone on here ever watched the Queen's Christmas Day message?

Has anyone on here ever watched the Queen's Christmas Day message?

Yesterday afternoon I asked the five people I was with whether any of them had ever seen even a tiny part of a Queen's Christmas Day address as it was broadcast? The answer I got was no and this is in line with my experience - I've seen excerpts a few hours later on the News, but I've never watched a second of it as it was being broadcast in my life and I can't think of anyone I know well who admits to watching it once, let alone every year.

Yet, there seems to be an acceptance among some that sitting down with your family after Christmas dinner to listen to what the Queen has to say is some great British institution. Since their low point after Princess Diana's death, the Royal Family has become a lot more popular in the last twenty years, so maybe it's a generational thing and it is those who are a lot younger than me who are responsible for this - I'd be very surprised if it was though.

Somebody must watch it, because in recent years it has attracted the biggest television audience over the Christmas period - typically, in the region of 8 or 9 million watch it, but that's a long way short of the 28 million who watched her in 1987 (that would have been around half of the population of the UK at that time).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...long-last.html

Re: Has anyone on here ever watched the Queen's Christmas Day message?

I’ll watch it on Dave around about March or April 😜

Parents used to always have it on when I was a kid

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Parents used to always have it on when I was a kid
    There was no option when I was younger.
    It was on at the same time on BBC and ITV - the only channels available.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    There was no option when I was younger.
    It was on at the same time on BBC and ITV - the only channels available.
    Grew up through the 90s so same as far as I can remember

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Grew up through the 90s so same as far as I can remember
    I watched her ***** horribilis one, just to get proof of how self absorbed they are. Find the news reporting a joke - this year they were at Castle X, the queen had a cold and Kate Middleton had a Gucci handbag. Trivial crap.

Nope.

I think a lot of elderly Tory voters probably watch the Queens Speech and Tory voters in general. It sort of counts me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I watched her ***** horribilis one, just to get proof of how self absorbed they are. Find the news reporting a joke - this year they were at Castle X, the queen had a cold and Kate Middleton had a Gucci handbag. Trivial crap.
    It really is trivial crap yet some saddos lap it ip

I watched the Ali G one some years ago. I would provide a link but I'm scoobied on this old I phone. There is no tradition in my family of watching her speech. We don't sing god save the queen either. I don't recognise her as my monarch.

We watch it primarily because me mam is of the same generation as the Queen and traditional and partly because she wants to see what the Queens wearing.

So yes we must be saddos

It was on in my house for my mother-in-law to watch. I don't think anyone else watched it.

Never watched it, don't plan on ever watching it

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    We watch it primarily because me mam is of the same generation as the Queen and traditional and partly because she wants to see what the Queens wearing.

So yes we must be saddos

No offence meant FF

First Team

Not sure that I have watched since I was a kid and my mother made sure we watched it before the xmas TOTP came on. It was a strange choice as she was very much a Welsh nationalist & a republican by nature.
    On the other hand I am thoroughly enjoying the Netflix series about her &'Philiph because love or loathe them/ idea of a monarchy they do make a fascinating topic for a drama.

No Royalist, though I don't really mind the ol' gal, but, from the 'highlights' that I do sometimes hear, I don't find anything she says to have much actual relevance or resonance with the average person.
    The whole thing seems to belong in times past, but surely it does no harm and makes some happy.
    I never watch it, but , I guess that I wouldn't want to hear that it was to be scrapped either.

I wouldn't be surprised if William or maybe even Harry turn it into something a little more 21st century - one day. If it is still going.
    I wont care if they don't ;)

It was on when I was a kid. Probably haven't seen it since the 70s.