+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outclassed City given a football lesson.

Re: Outclassed City given a football lesson.

I’ve said for a while now that Tan has to back Warnock in January. I heard some of his interview on Radio Wales yesterday and it appears Warnock will be given limited funds. That’s not enough. He spent next to nothing in the summer window compared to rival promotion chasing teams. You need more quality in midfield from what I have seen of you.

Good luck in 2018. I hope you can finish second.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's our manager who calls Gunnarsson and Ralls bread and butter players and I see it as a judgment on the type of player they are, rather than how good they are.

I agree that Gunnarsson is the better of those two players, but that's not the point I was trying to address - we have six players capable of doing a job for the first team in central midfield I make it (Gunnarsson, Ralls, Bryson, Damour, Halford and Bamba) and I'd say in many ways they are all similar type of players with creativity not being a particularly strong suit in any of them.

For me, Gunnarsson is one of the best in the division at the sort of job he does for his country, while Ralls is up there with the best youngish central midfielders in the Championship and Damour has been a good signing when you consider how much he is costing us, but in many ways they are all much of a muchness in that area, hence we are nowhere near as balanced in terms of the range of basic abilities needed for a good midfielder these days as Fulham are.
    Your articles are a good read but I sometimes get the sense that you get a little too defensive if someone offers an alternative view to the one you espouse. Outclassed is not a word I’d use - you make it sound like Fulham would destroy us every week, but as you well know a teams performance varies from week to week. Over the first half of the season we’re showing consistent promotion form - something which Fulham are not. We’re outclassing many more teams than most teams in the Championship. We’re difficult, in general to score against, score goals across the squad, have a magnificent work ethic and what appears to be a fantastic team spirit.

On more occasions than not that’s been enough to beat and even outclass other teams this year.

Of course it’s possible Fulham go on a great run but the evidence of the season so far wouldn’t suggest that is a probability

For me, I’m quite happy with us massively overachieving and having the occasional hiccough - I do t believe we’re good enough to compete in the PL with our current squad, but many other hard working
    and less ‘classy’ teams have successfully done it in the last few years.

If you’d like to see something that comes closer to my definition of being outclassed play a rerun of Liverpool v Swansea yesterday and you may choose to re-evaluate

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Your articles are a good read but I sometimes get the sense that you get a little too defensive if someone offers an alternative view to the one you espouse. Outclassed is not a word I’d use - you make it sound like Fulham would destroy us every week, but as you well know a teams performance varies from week to week. Over the first half of the season we’re showing consistent promotion form - something which Fulham are not. We’re outclassing many more teams than most teams in the Championship. We’re difficult, in general to score against, score goals across the squad, have a magnificent work ethic and what appears to be a fantastic team spirit.

On more occasions than not that’s been enough to beat and even outclass other teams this year.

Of course it’s possible Fulham go on a great run but the evidence of the season so far wouldn’t suggest that is a probability

For me, I’m quite happy with us massively overachieving and having the occasional hiccough - I do t believe we’re good enough to compete in the PL with our current squad, but many other hard working

If you’d like to see something that comes closer to my definition of being outclassed play a rerun of Liverpool v Swansea yesterday and you may choose to re-evaluate
    Having not been at Preston I don't think there has been an occasion this season where the term 'outclassed' could have been used except maybe the Villa game.

That Liverpool v Swansea game was an example I used in a twitter reply to the CCSC using the same term.

Although I do think that maybe thinking up an apt 'headline' for the article isn't always easy, I thought this one was misleading.

The stats from our game http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42406713

The sort of stats you might have expected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42360053

And I never take notice of possession stats as you can see how out of kilter they are with the amount of chances created

Thanks Bob, a very good read as usual. It seems to me we’re at something of a crossroads in a season that at the halfway point has to be considered very successful. That being the case. It’s very difficult to be too critical of the manager’s philosophy but I suspect, like me, you yearn for a little more finesse in achieving a winning formula. So who the manager is able to bring in seems fairly important to where we might end up after 46 games. At times, and yesterday was one of them, the team as a whole appear unable to pass the ball to another blue shirt and when the steamroller doesn’t flatten the opposition as we have been doing, it all looks very artless.

One potentially very positive from yesterday was the performance of Zohore who, after a long layoff, not only scored a terrific goal just when it was needed, but also kept running gamely for the full 90 minutes when he looked out on his feet. I’ve never been a great admirer of Zohore (bear in mind I don’t see games in the flesh but it seems to me he lacks a bit of ‘devil’) but on yesterday’s performance and given a decent partner and ammunition, he appears capable of scoring the goals needed to make the play-offs in what seems to be a Championship that is now hotting up.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

I stick by outclassed. A two goal victory margin didn't flatter Fulham at all and, as I said earlier, they were better than us in most, if not all, areas of the pitch. Fulham have the quality in their team to outclass every side in the Championship, but most of the other teams they've played this season have managed to prevent this happening - we did last February as well when we played against a side who had a lot more confidence and momentum than the one we faced on Tuesday.

I stick by outclassed. A two goal victory margin didn't flatter Fulham at all and, as I said earlier, they were better than us in most, if not all, areas of the pitch. Fulham have the quality in their team to outclass every side in the Championship, but most of the other teams they've played this season have managed to prevent this happening - we did last February as well when we played against a side who had a lot more confidence and momentum than the one we faced on Tuesday.
    Fulham have had a plethora of injuries that puts ours in the shade. Their attacking options were slashed earlier in the season. They are almost back to full strength now. That's why they are playing well at the moment and why they struggled earlier.

I didn't expect you to change your opinion, although it would have been nice if you'd acknowledged that I had a point... but don't expect me not to think that 'outclassed' is a dramatic exaggeration in a game where we had 50% more attempts on goal, 7-2 corners and equal shots on target.
    A game where for long times we looked like we were likely to get at least a point.

These are facts.

If that was 'outclassed' then what was Preston away ? Were we outclassed at Bolton ?

Have we 'outclassed' a dozen teams this season. ?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Fulham have had a plethora of injuries that puts ours in the shade. Their attacking options were slashed earlier in the season. They are almost back to full strength now. That's why they are playing well at the moment and why they struggled earlier.

I didn't expect you to change your opinion, although it would have been nice if you'd acknowledged that I had a point... but don't expect me not to think that 'outclassed' is a dramatic exaggeration in a game where we had 50% more attempts on goal, 7-2 corners and equal shots on target.
    A game where for long times we looked like we were likely to get at least a point.

These are facts.

If that was 'outclassed' then what was Preston away ? Were we outclassed at Bolton ?

No.
    Cumon Tim, Tuesday was like a visit to the dentist, frigging awful !!!!

It looked like Fulham could score whenever they wanted and the only reason they never scored a hatfull, was because they started taking the piSS and were trying to score the "perfect goal"

These are facts.

No.
    No, they are facts about attempts on or off target on goal and corners, but it's your opinion that "for long times we looked like we were likely to get at least a point". For myself, I allowed myself to think we could get something out of the game for a while after Zohore's great goal got the crowd going, but, with our wingers being so ineffective, we were doing nothing from open play and all Fulham had to do was concentrate on defending dead ball situations well.

I think, among others, we've outclassed a Villa side which looked much more impressive than us on paper and a Leeds team that came here at the top of the table this season, while, having not seen the Preston game either live or on line, I'd say that Fulham handed us the most comprehensive defeat I've seen us suffer so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Cumon Tim, Tuesday was like a visit to the dentist, frigging awful !!!!

It looked like Fulham could score whenever they wanted and the only reason they never scored a hatfull, was because they started taking the piSS and were trying to score the "perfect goal"
    Or because our central defenders made several blocks and interceptions ?

That's the way they play, and that's how they scored 3 of their 4 goals ( the 4th was a last minute breakaway)

That's like saying we might score more if we put better crosses in.

saying that given that I normally see you sneaking out on 35 minutes and then again on 70-75 you probably missed our best period 👍

I've no problem with admitting they were the better side, but we haven't been outclassed in a league game since Warnock arrived.

The only time we have was in the FA Cup game last year against the same opposition.

Or because our central defenders made several blocks and interceptions ?

That's the way they play, and that's how they scored 3 of their 4 goals ( the 4th was a last minute breakaway)

That's like saying we might score more if we put better crosses in.

saying that given that I normally see you sneaking out on 35 minutes and then again on 70-75 you probably missed our best period ��

I've no problem with admitting they were the better side, but we haven't been outclassed in a league game since Warnock arrived.

The only time we have was in the FA Cup game last year against the same opposition.

I always leave on 42 minutes and 85 minutes by the stadium clock.

When I say leave, I limp down the steps to get to the loo at half time, then on 85 minutes, I go downstairs to watch the last 10 minutes or so, this is to get a quick getaway to the pub so I can get the beers in for my peers.

No, they are facts about attempts on or off target on goal and corners, but it's your opinion that "for long times we looked like we were likely to get at least a point". For myself, I allowed myself to think we could get something out of the game for a while after Zohore's great goal got the crowd going, but, with our wingers being so ineffective, we were doing nothing from open play and all Fulham had to do was concentrate on defending dead ball situations well.

I think, among others, we've outclassed a Villa side which looked much more impressive than us on paper and a Leeds team that came here at the top of the table this season, while, having not seen the Preston game either live or on line, I'd say that Fulham handed us the most comprehensive defeat I've seen us suffer so far.
    I'd say that actually most of our attempts on goal came from open play rather than set pieces.

Just because most of what we did was scruffy rather than Fulham's more polished work doesn't make it any less relevant.

Outclassed team's don't make as many opportunities as we did.

I'd agree with the Villa on .. 3-0 with 12 shots on target to 1... although other stats weren't quite so strong in our favour.
    The game actually started quite evenly, but in the end we were coasting. Surely you would agree that it was far more one sided and comfortable than Tuesdays game ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...0355pl;dt;fp;1

The Leeds one.. well 1st half yes, but 2nd half was pretty even - perhaps we took our foot off the gas, but for me 'outclassed' might be something I'd wind a Leeds fan up with 👍.. but not be convinced about.

Match stats here...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...0355pl;dt;fp;1

Now, if we are talking 'best team to play us' or 'most deserved winners' this season ( excluding the Preston away that neither of us saw) then I'm 100% with you.

Fulham wasted 5/6 opportunities when they broke and had an extra man which aren't in the 'stats' - it didn't seem to worry them. When you worry about City losing possession on the edge of the Fulham penalty area then you know your looking at your team being outclassed.

Bob, we couldn't deal with how they played. Carrying the ball out of defence and through our midfield, I've never seen a team do that to us, especially at home. I'm not sure 'Outclassed' is correct, as we came up against something that I don't believe the players had prepared for or Warnock had thought was possible, so different was some of Fulham's play. Make no mistake, Fulham were the better side and deserved their win, and at times, had us in a spin, but it was odd, we were like a boxer who had trained for a completely different style. I can only remember us getting outclassed by the reading and wigan teams that romped this division on their way to the premier league, Fulham weren't like that, some of their stuff ripped a hole through our middle, we just couldn't adapt or cope. Looks like I was correct about Tomlin

I always leave on 42 minutes and 85 minutes by the stadium clock.

When I say leave, I limp down the steps to get to the loo at half time, then on 85 minutes, I go downstairs to watch the last 10 minutes or so, this is to get a quick getaway to the pub so I can get the beers in for my peers.

In which case you missed the last 11 minutes when we were pressing hard for an equaliser. ( there were 6 minutes of injury time) or saw some of it on the TV.

You would also have been there for the period after the Zohore goal when we were on top and only conceded the 3 rd due to a ridiculous decision.

Can't say you missed much at the end of the first half mind.

I was up in Level 4 with a load of my family for a Xmas treat for them and they all thought it was a fantastic end to end game.

Have to say as an aside the view up there is excellent.

Fulham are a brilliant team to watch as they absolutely go for it and create loads but also leave themselves open.

However we played our part and were in with a shout right until a poor cross let their striker have a free run on goal.

The way we finish games it's well worth waiting another 20 minutes for a beer.

In my case I'm happy not to have one at all so I can concentrate more clearly on the game. Certainly with the home games.

Mind you when Trollope was here, Is wish I'd had half a dozen before kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Bob, we couldn't deal with how they played. Carrying the ball out of defence and through our midfield, I've never seen a team do that to us, especially at home. I'm not sure 'Outclassed' is correct, as we came up against something that I don't believe the players had prepared for or Warnock had thought was possible, so different was some of Fulham's play. Make no mistake, Fulham were the better side and deserved their win, and at times, had us in a spin, but it was odd, we were like a boxer who had trained for a completely different style. I can only remember us getting outclassed by the reading and wigan teams that romped this division on their way to the premier league, Fulham weren't like that, some of their stuff ripped a hole through our middle, we just couldn't adapt or cope. Looks like I was correct about Tomlin
    Brentford were very similar Dan, just not as clinical.
    Luckily.

n which case you missed the last 11 minutes when we were pressing hard for an equaliser. ( there were 6 minutes of injury time) or saw some of it on the TV.

Read what I wrote, plz !
    I don't miss anything, I stay downstairs and watch it on the screens, until the final whistle

n which case you missed the last 11 minutes when we were pressing hard for an equaliser. ( there were 6 minutes of injury time) or saw some of it on the TV.

Read what I wrote, plz !
    I don't miss anything, I stay downstairs and watch it on the screens, until the final whistle
    How about reading what I wrote 'or some of it on TV' ?

Read what I wrote, plz !
    How about reading what I wrote 'or some of it on TV' ?
    If you wrote ALL of it on TV, I would not have bothered replying

I wrote 'some of it' as it's not possible to see the TV as you are walking down the stairs into the vomitary.

Plus the TV pics are awful down there, they certainly don't give you the full view of what is going on.

Either way, if you think we were 'outclassed' then you certainly didn't see what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Not sure why we should have been surprised by what Fulham did because I thought it was very similar to the way they played when they came here last season and we certainly coped better with it in the league game then than we did on Tuesday.

Not sure why we should have been surprised by what Fulham did because I thought it was very similar to the way they played when they came here last season and we certainly coped better with it in the league game then than we did on Tuesday.
    They blow hot and cold, especially this season.
    I watched them play Wolves and they were dreadful and they were at Sunderland as well.

When it clicks they’re a joy to watch and they were the best team down here last season as they have been this campaign.
    Last season we did cope better in a thrilling 2-2 draw, we should’ve had about 6 or 7 that day.