+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: After yesterday, at least we have an inkling as to why attendances are poor

After yesterday, at least we have an inkling as to why attendances are poor

So, with around 4K more than usual in the ground - and a flat, turgid and outclassed City performance, followed by a soaking in the cold on the way home - you couldn't blame the 'occasional fans' for thinking 'What's the point'?

Even Mrs C asked 'You won't be renewing your season ticket, then'?

Re: After yesterday, at least we have an inkling as to why attendances are poor

Well, it bears pointing out that you don't smash teams 17-0 every game in the bright sunshine... occasional fans don't grasp that but I'm sure many would force themselves to attend to see their beloved Prem heroes should we promote again.

Its the main reason i dont give a shite about the premier league. Loads of plastic hangers on that suddenly cant afford it when we get relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Well, it bears pointing out that you don't smash teams 17-0 every game in the bright sunshine... occasional fans don't grasp that but I'm sure many would force themselves to attend to see their beloved Prem heroes should we promote again.
    Agreed. We didn't look up for it from the first minute. Hoilett and ML in particular were well off the pace in the wet and the cold.

Not surprising we didn't turn up - Wolves had just dropped two points, we were almost back to full strength, Tan was there, the crowd was a reasonable 21K - no reason whatsoever for putting in a shift.

Is it fickle fans or a fickle team - or both.

Whatever - there won't be anything like 21K there on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Its the main reason i dont give a shite about the premier league. Loads of plastic hangers on that suddenly cant afford it when we get relegated.
    Agreed, but they're also loads of plastic hangers on that we need for revenue. Plastic hangers on that, if we could maintain ourselves as a top flight club for a generation, we could turn into regulars and, in turn, their kids become regulars.

I don't have a problem with people mainly being interested in watching Premier League football. We're all guilty of it in some way elsewhere. How many City fans enjoy watching Wimbledon, but haven't got any interest in the ATP tour? How many watch the Open golf championship but are hardly likely to trudge around their local course if there's a tournament on? How many would pay a fair amount for a pay-per-view boxing match but would be unlikely to go to an evening if the opening bout featuring some unknown boxers was the main event? How many love watching Welsh rugby but don't give a toss about the regions or local clubs? There are so many examples.

I had a look at the average attendance of clubs that have been relegated from the Premier League in recent seasons to see how much they drop. Newcastle, Villa, Norwich and QPR are examples of clubs where crowds were barely affected. Clubs like Hull, us, Blackpool, Fulham, clubs with a less than stable history over the last few decades and clubs that have spent plenty of time in the bottom tier where fans have left in droves, have seen noticeable drops in attendance. I fully expect Swansea's crowd to drop like a stone if they go down.

I have a theory that if we want regular crowds of 30k, we'd need many seasons in the top flight to build a regular fan base, to make it a regular habit for the so-called plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I know loads of city fans who don't go regularly and they also don't feel the need to justify their stance to superfans either. If we go up and they decide to buy season tickets next year, good for them as well. Hopefully they'll stay in the ground past 80 minutes unlike half the current regulars as well.