+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have the last two games proven Tomlin needs to start?

Have the last two games proven Tomlin needs to start?

At Bolton we had a one dimensional midfield crying out for someone who could unlock a defence but we stuck with the the three workhorses of Halford, Damour and Ralls until it was too late

Yesterday we needed someone who could keep hold of the ball in midfield to take the pressure off the back four for a bit and to offer something different to hammering it out wide to NML and Hoilett, who were uncharacteristically poor (Can't be too harsh though, they've been great this season)

We massively relied on our wingers earlier in the season and its starting to look like teams have figured that out so surely its time to mix things up, bring in Tomlin for Damour or Bryson and give the opposition something else to worry about other than our wingers

Re: Have the last two games proven Tomlin needs to start?

No. He'd have been a passenger against Fulham as he simply doesn't possess the athleticism needed to compete against such a midfield

^^^
    THIS

We didn't compete with the three athletic midfielders we had out there yesterday, I felt we needed someone who would put their foot on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We didn't compete with the three athletic midfielders we had out there yesterday, I felt we needed someone who would put their foot on the ball
    Problem was that at times we were so static in our movement that having someone with more creativity wouldn't have made much difference. Fulham's movement off the ball was much better than ours.

I look back at a combination we used to have with McPhail and Chopra. McPhail provided a number of assists to Chops during their time together because Chopra's movement off the ball and anticipation was excellent and McPhail was on the same wavelength and has been our best passer in recent decades. Tomlin's creativity needs other players on his wavelength and I'm not sure we have them.

If he can't start before the likes of Halford and Bryson he isn't going to make the bench after the new arrivals and Gunnarsson returns.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Yes, our midfield was crying out for someone to hold the ball and not waste it. he would have done that job and stopped us getting overrun all the time. and his passing would have been better that out midfield three yesterday. Well, midfield two as I can't recall Bryson touching the ball , but he does run around a lot! Tomlin doesn't run around but can pass.

Would you trust Warnock with your money? His free transfers have been great but worryingly the players he’s bought especially star buy Tomlin have been very poor? 3million wasted!

Warnock's already said Tomlin wasn't £3m.

I do love the way fans jump to blame Warnock yet believe Tomlin to be approach reproach.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Would you trust Warnock with your money? His free transfers have been great but worryingly the players he’s bought especially star buy Tomlin have been very poor? 3million wasted!
    C'mon mate that's harsh in the extreme. He obviously thought he could get more out of Tomlin but there's clearly an issue.
    His record for this club in the transfer market has been nothing short of remarkable.

The last two games have shown deficiencies in the squad but 2017 has still been a major success for a club in danger of drifting into oblivion.

The Bolton result was dreadful but the Fulham result could happen to anyone. We need to show the character that this squad has become known for in the next two games, then add two or three for the run in.

There's a long way to go.

Tomlin against Hull just didn’t seem right.

He’s always looked good against tired legs but when he has to do the donkey work like the rest of the team he can’t cope.

Obviously talented but it seems his mentality doesn’t suit our play. A luxury we can’t afford to carry.

Tomlin,Ward and Bogle together cost a total of £3million according to Tan who pays the bills, none are playing regularly in 1st Team?

Ward was deliberately bought as cover. His signing was never dressed as anything else.

Bogle was signed as a player with potential, who had lost his way - against signed as cover.

Tomlin was a punt with major issues, if those out resolved then he's a bargain.

I'd imagine Tan would be more irate if money was spent on those as being first team starters only to have them then called "projects for the future".

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Ward was deliberately bought as cover. His signing was never dressed as anything else.

Bogle was signed as a player with potential, who had lost his way - against signed as cover.

Tomlin was a punt with major issues, if those out resolved then he's a bargain.

I'd imagine Tan would be more irate if money was spent on those as being first team starters only to have them then called "projects for the future".
    To be fair, I'd imagine he'd prefer the term "project" than "punt"

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Warnock's already said Tomlin wasn't £3m.

I do love the way fans jump to blame Warnock yet believe Tomlin to be approach reproach.
    You do the exact same thing you describe but the other way round

Does Tomlin have issues? Yes, is he an excellent footballer? Yes. Does he offer us something our other midfielders don't? Yes. Is he better than Greg Halford? Half the posters on this board are better than him, never mind Tomlin being better, so why did he start against Bolton and play the full 90 when it was obvious Bolton would set up defensively?

Tomlin,Ward and Bogle together cost a total of £3million according to Tan who pays the bills, none are playing regularly in 1st Team?
    Can't play 3 strikers in a 1 striker formation.

We do also need more than 1 striker. Both mentioned have chipped in when asked to.

Where do you get your information from ?. Ward is out injured for two to three months, so obviously cant play regularly at the moment but before being injured played a string of games, scored some goals and generally played well in a winning team. Bogle also played some games and scored a couple of important goals, looking a good prospect for the future but is now injured again. Tomlins issues are well documented but no one questions his ability, just his attitude and fitness. All three have been excellent buys and dont deserve criticism. Our current problems are down to injuries and loss of form by a couple of important players.

Utter rubbish !!.

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    If he can't start before the likes of Halford and Bryson he isn't going to make the bench after the new arrivals and Gunnarsson returns.
    I think we should do the right thing in January and let him go.
    It is obvious that Warnock does not want to play him regardless of injuries or when games are going against us.
    As opposed to bringing him forward I honestly think Warnock is ruining his career.

I'd say Tomlin is more than capable of ruining his own career, as history has shown.

Tomlin can still be an important player for us his season hasn't ended

I agree that he can be his own worst enemy "as history has shown" so why did Warnock buy him and state he was the midfield missing link we had been looking for ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I agree that he can be his own worst enemy "as history has shown" so why did Warnock buy him and state he was the midfield missing link we had been looking for ?
    As a gamble he could have been.

Etheridge could have been shit, NML, Bamba, Hoilett could all have been shit too.

Win more than we lose when it comes to transfers lately, nice change.

I think Tomlin needs matches to get his sharpness. I think NW needs a thicker skin to play him.

Tomlin as he is may not be saviour material...but what he would do is remove a useless shite in midfielder (Bryson), which could be more valuable than his actual contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I have seen a few interviews with Warnock where he has insisted Tomlin is a striker not a midfielder.