+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Your local Councillor 'Put In A Shift' for their considerable available wedge ?

Does Your local Councillor 'Put In A Shift' for their considerable available wedge ?

Cardiff Councillors are paid a salary of £13,300 (£13400 for 17/18), they need to formally inform the council if they want to forego any part of that entitlement with some in more senior positions entitled to considerably more. Detail on the full 16/17 remuneration is publicly available through the CCC website.

It does seem an awful lot of money in my opinion for what is in the main, a part time, voluntary role and when calculated on a pro rata basis, is considerably more than the UK minimum wage (in the vast majority of cases), especially as some will receive it in addition to their normal 'day job' salary with some also receiving paid leave for council duty. it is also far north of what many receive in either state or work (or both) pensions.

Do you think this is a fair offering for someone who wants to accept being the people person and the voice for their local area ?

Re: Does Your local Councillor 'Put In A Shift' for their considerable available wedge ?

My old Grampi used to do it for nothing in Llanharan. I think they got expenses but they never really had any expenses to claim as such except stamps n stationery cause you would walk to meetinhgs etc, He and others like him used to want to get involved and make a difference where they could. Still elected so busy bodies would be voted out. People would call to his house to see him about things. I don't even know who my local councillor is.

Re: Does Your local Councillor 'Put In A Shift' for their considerable available wedge ?

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    My old Grampi used to do it for nothing in Llanharan. I think they got expenses but they never really had any expenses to claim as such except stamps n stationery cause you would walk to meetinhgs etc, He and others like him used to want to get involved and make a difference where they could. Still elected so busy bodies would be voted out. People would call to his house to see him about things. I don't even know who my local councillor is.
    Here ya go:

http://cardiff.moderngov.co.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1

Most are batshit crazy tbh.

I complains to a counselor who sits in the next row to me in the Ninian stand.

He then phones up my local one, tells him he's getting it in the neck and whatever job needs doing, gets done.

It was emptying the drains last time.

Our local councillors do a great job, so I don't begrudge them money.

What I can't stand are councillors who grandstand, interfer with issues outside their ward and refuse to listen to evidence.

£13,300 for all the shit they get? No thanks...

Of course they spend none of their own time thinking about the job they are doing, they just turn up and wing it in the hours for which they are paid...

I think that's a pittance for the job we hope they're doing. If they are only spending the time they are paid for then it may explain why some places are in deep shit...

if you fart in Cyncoed some fekr runs out with an air freshner. Double standards between Wards as well.

Problem is there are plenty of political snakes amongst councillors.

We had grounds to complain against our then local councillor (leader of lib dem faction at time ) and an acolyte of hers from another ward over blatent lies both told at a council meeting. Complaint was conveniently delayed - then it rolled into purdah prior to the last elections.

Both lost their seats so no action could be taken.

There are plenty who are well meaning, go the extra mile, know what needs to be done. There are also quite a few who run with their own agenda, causing others a lot of shit to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    £13,300 for all the shit they get? No thanks...

Of course they spend none of their own time thinking about the job they are doing, they just turn up and wing it in the hours for which they are paid...

I think that's a pittance for the job we hope they're doing. If they are only spending the time they are paid for then it may explain why some places are in deep shit...
    From 'Be a councillor' (link from WWW.Gov.uk)

How much time you spend on your duties as a councillor is largely up to you and will depend on the particular commitments you take on. The LGA’s 2013 Census of Councillors found that the average time commitment was around 25 hours per week.

I'm sure some will commit and offer over or under this figure as their own average, but it calculates at over £10 per hour based on 25 hours per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    From 'Be a councillor' (link from WWW.Gov.uk)

How much time you spend on your duties as a councillor is largely up to you and will depend on the particular commitments you take on. The LGA’s 2013 Census of Councillors found that the average time commitment was around 25 hours per week.

I'm sure some will commit and offer over or under this figure as their own average, but it calculates at over £10 per hour based on 25 hours per week.
    So just over £10/hour for a job (same as a Starbucks manager) which is really important to the local community? I know which one I would prefer was done by an experienced and intelligent person who could get things done and that rate hardly seems likely to attract the people we need to improve our communities. Instead it looks far more likely to attract people who see the influence they can wield as a means of making money through other avenues.

I have a bit of inside knowledge of these things. The salary was brought in a number of years ago to attract younger councillors. it has had limited success because the reality is, for any councillor worth his salt it is pretty well a full time job, although some, in the rural areas that I live can they get by doing next to nothing and turning up for meetings every couple of months.For others in more urban places it can be very demanding with housing being top of the list.

I know a young, local councillor living not too far away from me. He's busy in his ward all day, every day, sorting out issues, getting his hands dirty helping to clear litter hotspots etc. He's also very supportive of local groups and donates money to lots of local organisations. He's very down to earth and well liked in his community.

It's a pity that not all councillors are like this, but there are fantastic local councillors out there who do far more good for their communities than the relatively small salary deserves. There are, unfortunately, some who take the piss or are never seen or are just inept.

Not all councillors are equal.
    In any way.
    Some are pretty good value for '£10 an hour' -blimey - Some clearly not.

Who agrees to have half Thier weekly evenings taken up with public, civic meetings, and be open for people to contact them morning noon and night for 10 or less an hour?!

As with most public services the managing of money and responsibilities is a appalling waste .

Its a lot of hassle for not much financial reward IMO. Some crap councillors will give the impression to many that its a gravy train but for most it isnt. There are some who do an awful lot for their communities. The system should weed out the crap councillors because they shouldn't get re-elected in what is effectively a popularity contest every 4-5 years.There is a good case for paying more so that it becomes more attractive to a wider cross section on the community.

The ones to watch are those who use the council as a stepping stone - career politicians. Its the ambitious ones who want to move on to the Welsh Govt or Westminster who are the dangerous ones. Only in it for themselves.

^^ Good summary that Gwapo.

If you pay peanuts then you get monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Its a lot of hassle for not much financial reward IMO. Some crap councillors will give the impression to many that its a gravy train but for most it isnt. There are some who do an awful lot for their communities. The system should weed out the crap councillors because they shouldn't get re-elected in what is effectively a popularity contest every 4-5 years.There is a good case for paying more so that it becomes more attractive to a wider cross section on the community.

The ones to watch are those who use the council as a stepping stone - career politicians. Its the ambitious ones who want to move on to the Welsh Govt or Westminster who are the dangerous ones. Only in it for themselves.
    Anyone else notice there seems to be trend now for partners to stand for election? Seems to be a nice way to make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Anyone else notice there seems to be trend now for partners to stand for election? Seems to be a nice way to make a living.
    Anything that anyone gets paid for could be classed as a "nice way to make a living" - couldn't it?

But - you do realise that these people are elected by their constituents , or occasionally get co-opted because nobody else can be bothered?

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Anything that anyone gets paid for could be classed as a "nice way to make a living" - couldn't it?

But - you do realise that these people are elected by their constituents , or occasionally get co-opted because nobody else can be bothered?
    Oh absolutely. I'm just very well aware of at least one couple on big money as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post

Just a factual point. County councillors are paid and they have to be nominated and elected. Town councillors are not paid and occasionally can be coopted.
    I know a lot of these people, I am sure you do. Their motivations are varied. I don't think many stand for election for money, although certainly if they get into cabinet the rewards can be significant although the work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Just a factual point. County councillors are paid and they have to be nominated and elected. Town councillors are not paid and occasionally can be coopted.
    I know a lot of these people, I am sure you do. Their motivations are varied. I don't think many stand for election for money, although certainly if they get into cabinet the rewards can be significant although the work hard.
    OK thanks for the clarification re 'co-opted'.

I think we should fund an additional five thousand councillors, from the public ""free money tree "" purse

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I thought there was also full time councillors on a salary circa 33k

Here you go

Basic part timer - 13k , full timer 34k

The PDF contains everything they are entitled to claim https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/Your-...7%20-%2018.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    To a certain extent - the system as is - is fine. Having both part time and full time councillors isnt a problem.

Part time ones should be either retired or people who dont really need to the 13k a year.
    Full time councillors - maybe they should represent the whole council business rather just their wards. So on issues of transport (LIKE A DECENT BUS STATION) they could get their act together - perhaps ?
    I'm confused by your distinction between full time and part time councillors. The link you put up doesn't say that - it distinguishes between a basic salary for ordinary councillors with no extra responsibilities and senior councillors who are on Cabinet or are chairs of committees. I don't know if Cardiff is different, but where I live all councillors see themselves as full time (even if they have another full time job, or even several) - and if not chairing committees will be members. They will have a lot of council roles to carry out even if not in a senior position, will be expected to read papers and prepare for meetings, will have ward surgeries and correspondence to deal with.... and in most cases it takes over their lives. I don't know any councillors who do it for the money, although i do know some who see the council as a stepping stone to a more prominent political 'career'.