+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We don't play football anymore

We don't play football anymore

Hoof ball, hoof ball, hoof ball.
    And when we do have the ball at feet we give it away.
    I am more concerned about our inability to put passes together than losing three points.
    If we cannot get it right we'll lose a lot more.
    Not a shot on target!
    Come on, prove me wrong.

Re: We don't play football anymore

Why has this happened?

We certainly don't have a very good short passing game. We rely on players like Hoilet and NML to run with the ball too often. I feel like we could mix it up a little more with just a little work in training

I don’t think we have played pretty football since Warnock came. However we have played winning football , which we are certainly not playing at the moment.

It’s got to be down to the fact that players are told to knock it into the channels and up to the striker , rather than move and look for possession.

Awful, simply shite.
    Worst we’ve played under Warnock.
    Why are we so incapable of passing the fecking ball?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I don’t think we have played pretty football since Warnock came. However we have played winning football , which we are certainly not playing at the moment.

It’s got to be down to the fact that players are told to knock it into the channels and up to the striker , rather than move and look for possession.
    We are playing long hopeful balls and players stand still waiting to see if the ball is won
    Earlier in the season we were running into space, players with the ball had good options.
    Now they don't.

An improved second half.
    From awful to at best mediocre.

couldn't see anybody in the team (apart from Tomlin now and again) who could pass a football. Bloody hell what do they do in training

Send them back to Amsterdam for another pissup!

A month ago when we were top People were saying it didnt matter about ball possession stats or completed passes figures. They were wrong then and we are getting poorer by the week now hence our results

How Peltier is anywhere near a Championship team is beyond me, couldn't pass the ball 20 yards to feet if his life depended on it. Absolutely one of the worst performances I've seen from a City player in a long time and wouldn't have looked out of place in Division 4 back in the day. Might as well play without a midfield because the ball just gets hoofed over their head anyway and they don't have a chance to impose on the game, although Damour and Ralls were poor when they got a chance to bring the ball down anyway.

Think teams have figured out if you just don't get caught on the counter against us we don't have the quality to do anything else. If throwing Tomlin in is our Plan B to pass the ball around we are in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    How Peltier is anywhere near a Championship team is beyond me, couldn't pass the ball 20 yards to feet if his life depended on it. Absolutely one of the worst performances I've seen from a City player in a long time and wouldn't have looked out of place in Division 4 back in the day. Might as well play without a midfield because the ball just gets hoofed over their head anyway and they don't have a chance to impose on the game, although Damour and Ralls were poor when they got a chance to bring the ball down anyway.

Think teams have figured out if you just don't get caught on the counter against us we don't have the quality to do anything else. If throwing Tomlin in is our Plan B to pass the ball around we are in big trouble.
    Surely this was an opportunity for Tomlin to stake his claim. For Tomlin, Ralls and Damour, supported by Mendez Laing and Feeney to be a unit. To create something. To take charge.
    Instead they seemed to spend more time challenging for headers and when they did win the ball, all too often it was given away.
    Our performances are back to those of last season. Different players, same tactics, same poor performances.

Ralls and Damour are simply League 1 at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post

That's it they're not hitting it down the channels they're just aimlessly smashing the ball because there's an opposing player within 4 feet of them, there was 4/5 times in the game where the ball was coming down and tomlin neatly passed it to one of our players but everyone else thought it better if they just put their foot through it

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    A month ago when we were top People were saying it didnt matter about ball possession stats or completed passes figures. They were wrong then and we are getting poorer by the week now hence our results
    You are right...but we were using our limited possession to create attacks on goal, and often scoring.
    Look at our shots on goal stats for more recent games

didnt get to the game today because of illness so watched on sky and to me Damour and Ralls are our problem at the moment, gallagher and pearson were so much better. They seem so far of the pace, their positioning is awful and their passing woeful. We need 2 new midfielders if we are going to challenge for automatic promotion otherwise Wolves and Derby will run away with it?

Good to see Zohore and Healey get more game time and Tomlin did look a bit fitter.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    It still doesn't matter. What matters is what you do when you have the ball. A month ago (or maybe a little more) we attacked with pace and purpose. We were unstoppable. Now we've got nothing going forward and we can't even get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    didnt get to the game today because of illness so watched on sky and to me Damour and Ralls are our problem at the moment, gallagher and pearson were so much better. They seem so far of the pace, their positioning is awful and their passing woeful. We need 2 new midfielders if we are going to challenge for automatic promotion otherwise Wolves and Derby will run away with it?

Good to see Zohore and Healey get more game time and Tomlin did look a bit fitter.
    I thought was fine. In fact, I saw no reason to take him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post

Yes. Good to have them back and to see Tomlin start.
    So what's our excuse. No Morrison, no Gunnarson?

Nice to read such an optimistic, happy thread for a change !!. For gods sake, we are still third in the table, fourth at worst by tomorrow night. After QPR there is a 12 day break from league action to get injured players back and bring in a couple of new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Nice to read such an optimistic, happy thread for a change !!. For gods sake, we are still third in the table, fourth at worst by tomorrow night. After QPR there is a 12 day break from league action to get injured players back and bring in a couple of new faces.
    A 12 day break is the last thing we need, we haven't recovered from the last one!

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    We've lost 3 games in a row and looked awful in each one. I think it is Time to worry if we have any chance of promotion this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Hoof ball, hoof ball, hoof ball.
    And when we do have the ball at feet we give it away.
    I am more concerned about our inability to put passes together than losing three points.
    If we cannot get it right we'll lose a lot more.
    Not a shot on target!
    Come on, prove me wrong.
    I think you can go all the way back to the QPR game and you will see periods of play from us, particularly in home matches where we are barely able to pass the ball or even get it under control. For a few months we were able to ride out these spells which tended to last about fifteen to twenty minutes and we'd often win after coming through them, but, for a side at or near the top of the table, we'd play some truly awful stuff at times. Unfortunately, those fifteen to twenty minute spells have now become seventy to eighty minute ones - last night we were desperately poor and I agree completely that the time to sweep our dreadful possession percentage and completed passing figures under the carpet is long gone.

People saying Tomlin didn't take his chance make me laugh. The amount of times we played through midfield to him was virtually zero. No matter whether it is etheridge, peltier, Patterson or the cb's on the ball, it was sent long yesterday.

He's 5 ft 8 or whatever he is and trying to win headers. Our full back's don't even offer an option to the cb's or gk (not blaming them, obviously instructed not too) but you barely see that at league 2 level nevermind the champ.

Cannot disagree with this comment. We have not played well since Ipswich. Nonsense to suggest the players have "hit a brick wall".
    Midfield is a major problem with inability to find the pacemen.
    Why was Hoilett left on the bench when he is currently the only in-form player. Mendez has been poor for weeks and retains his place.
    The invisible Feeney gets to start-why?
    If you only have hoofball as a tactic, surely you need a keeper who can distribute. Etheridge put at least 3 goal kicks into touch.
    Can't see anyway to stop the rot before QPR.