+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who decides what tactics to play?

Re: Who decides what tactics to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Last night (more noticeably than the other two games) saw us launch everything up in the air. From defence, everything was blasted forward. From midfield, high balls were hit into channels or up to Zohore. There was so little passed along the deck it was dreadful. This is old news, of course.

Now, the question has to be why were the team constantly doing this? For defenders and goalkeeper to continually hit it long everytime they must have been under instruction to do so, surely? I can only presume a lack of faith in Ralls and Damour being able to keep hold of possession as a reason for doing so, but the constant long ball bombardment must have been ordered from above.

I made a comment last night that it reminded me of those spells under Dave Jones' management where we didn't have a clue what we were doing and just lumped everything long in hope that something would happen. This has to provide a problem for us. Unless Warnock is going to instruct his team to start passing the ball on the deck as they were earlier in the season then we're likely to be stuck with the hopeful long ball bollocks we've seen recently. Warnock has to find a way to stop us playing like that. Jones didn't know how to rectify this problem and we could go for several weeks looking absolutely clueless. Jones' failure to find a solution ultimately cost us promotion on a few occasions and unless Warnock can stop this awful football that we're playing, this season will go the same way.
    This post illustrates just how unknowledgable about the game you are.

Warnock will not be saying to players "hit it long" one week and "play it on the deck" the next. Players start hitting long balls when opposition players stifle play and pressure defenders into making quick passes. It's unlikely, at this level, that you will have a back four that can play good football under pressure, or whilst team mates are suffocated of space. Therefore, it is the opposition manager who dictates if you will be forced to hit long hopeful balls.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    My misses chucked my rothmans football year books out by mistake years ago. The font of all knowledge. Gone. Just gone. I might have some programmes from that season. I will see if I can dig em out tomorrow.
    Mario Meithig.

I have Rothmans Yearbooks from 1986 (when I started watching football at Fourth division City) to 2013 (when I stopped watching football at Premiership bound Cardiff City). However, I still get a Rothmans from my folks for Christmas - must have 33 of them by now. Bought one from the 70s on eBay - would like to have a full collection, but less important these days.

Everyone pretending they're not using google.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If I'd used Google I wouldn't be wrong would I.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Mario Meithig.

I have Rothmans Yearbooks from 1986 (when I started watching football at Fourth division City) to 2013 (when I stopped watching football at Premiership bound Cardiff City). However, I still get a Rothmans from my folks for Christmas - must have 33 of them by now. Bought one from the 70s on eBay - would like to have a full collection, but less important these days.
    You don't have to tell us wjat division we were playing in like some kind of hero to football fans because you dislike Tan, we all know where we've come from.

Mario Meithig.

Outstanding knowledge. I buzzed hard of my rothmans books. The internet just isn't the same. I got a bin bag full of old shoot magazines match later on. Sticker collections etc. I have lost loads if it over the years but wish I'd looked after it all now. Just for my own personal enjoyment. Loads of the old programmes got my Grampys writing in for the sub etc. attendance and so on. He's not around now so they mean a lot.

Outstanding knowledge. I buzzed hard of my rothmans books. The internet just isn't the same. I got a bin bag full of old shoot magazines match later on. Sticker collections etc. I have lost loads if it over the years but wish I'd looked after it all now. Just for my own personal enjoyment. Loads of the old programmes got my Grampys writing in for the sub etc. attendance and so on. He's not around now so they mean a lot.
    You have to keep those mate. Programmes don't really resell for much anyway. I used to collect programs avidly, writing in subs, attendances, goal scorers etc. Hopefully a grand kid will discover them after I am dust, and will derive some pleasure from my obsession to record such things. I think they are more personal to me than any diary I could ever write.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You don't have to tell us wjat division we were playing in like some kind of hero to football fans because you dislike Tan, we all know where we've come from.
    Obsessed mate, none of this rant bears any relevance to the thread and, if anything, is pure trolling since it is off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I didn't use Google.

I'm a football fan's hero

Mario Meithig.

Rothmans haven’t published a yearbook since 2013

You have to keep those mate. Programmes don't really resell for much anyway. I used to collect programs avidly, writing in subs, attendances, goal scorers etc. Hopefully a grand kid will discover them after I am dust, and will derive some pleasure from my obsession to record such things. I think they are more personal to me than any diary I could ever write.
    Agree about that. I can tell boring games from when I was a kid by my doodles in them. Would horrify a purist. The old programmes from the Clemo era with 10 pages in them. 11 players and 1 sub. The first ones with colour photos. First with 2 subs etc. It is a bit of history and brings back memories. Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Rothmans haven’t published a yearbook since 2013
    Ok, Sky Sports now. Same book though.

Ok, Sky Sports now. Same book though.
    Sell out

Agree about that. I can tell boring games from when I was a kid by my doodles in them. Would horrify a purist. The old programmes from the Clemo era with 10 pages in them. 11 players and 1 sub. The first ones with colour photos. First with 2 subs etc. It is a bit of history and brings back memories. Nice one.
    In the Fourth Division days, there was a bloke who would keep a record of corners, free kicks and length of halves in a notebook. We'd be jumping around The Bob Bank celebrating a goal (rare!) and he'd be getting his book out and writing in a 1.

Love those characters - every club has at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sell out
    Sky is evil, but it doesn't cause lung cancer. I think!

Players start hitting long balls when opposition players stifle play and pressure defenders into making quick passes. It's unlikely, at this level, that you will have a back four that can play good football under pressure, or whilst team mates are suffocated of space. Therefore, it is the opposition manager who dictates if you will be forced to hit long hopeful balls.
    Load of nonsense. From the first whistle yesterday our defence whacked everything long without being put under pressure or being stifled.

Our midfield also chipped virtually everything regardless of whether they had no time or lots of time and space.

If it's the opposition manager that dictates if a team needs to hit long balls, explain how, given how well we used to press and squeeze space in midfield, other teams weren't forced to bombard us with hoofball?

Sums up your knowledge.

In the Fourth Division days, there was a bloke who would keep a record of corners, free kicks and length of halves in a notebook. We'd be jumping around The Bob Bank celebrating a goal (rare!) and he'd be getting his book out and writing in a 1.

Love those characters - every club has at least one.
    Don't forget the guy with a little radio pressed to his ear. Especially last game of the season.

I'll add Brian McGorry to the list of obscure City players.

As for the question asked at the start of this thread, I refuse to believe any manager would send his side out under instructions to play like we did against Preston because it represented the best chance of winning the game in his opinion. We are a team which looks to play long passes into the channels for wingers and the striker to chase and I think there's a fine line between playing that approach well and what we saw a couple of days ago because once players lose a bit of confidence, the ball can become like a hot potato to some of them and they want to get rid straight away. Even among those who are stronger mentally, there is probably a degree of stress involved which means that a technique which he usually trusts can go awry.

Whether it is a batsman in cricket or a golfer with his swing, if they start thinking about what they are doing and the techniques they use too much, then that's usually a sure signal that their game will start, or continue. to deteriorate as the the fear of making a mistake guarantees that those errors will follow.

In a side which looks to pass the ball more than we do, these doubts can manifest themselves in pointless five yard backwards and sideways passes as players look to hand the responsibility for something on to someone else. Conversely though, I would have thought a few of those "pointless" passes would do our lot some good at the moment as they got used to having the ball under control and playing it to a team mate again, but I suspect this could lead to dressing room bollockings from this manager. So, we get the aimless hooks forward to no one in particular that we saw throughout most of Friday's match, a good deal of Tuesday's and for those periods that we've had in some games for months now where we seem to think ten per cent possession, or less, is too much.

For me, Neil Warnock, who occasionally complains that the team did not pass the ball well enough, always runs the risk of his team looking clumsy, artless and unattractive if they are low in form and/or confidence, because when the sort of game he favours is played as poorly as it was against Preston, it's about as boring and futile a way of playing as I can think of.

Nevertheless, this is the way he has based a good career for himself on and you have to say for much of the time it is effective - it had been for months before this week. However, one tactic, which appears to be predetermined to me that I just cannot figure is the insistence that the keeper knocks the ball long every time he gets it - when you consider Etheridge's kicking, how poorly Zohore fares when he is an aerial target man and how few headers the six foot plus Mendez-Laing wins when he is the target, it seems a tactic doomed to failure to me.

The other thing for me Bob is playing long balls into channel is always going top lend itself to being less accurate - obvious, the longer the ball has to travel, more chance of it going wrong. Add in a lack of confidence...

I just think we've been too cute in the final third at times. Games I've seen Kennedy in for Portsmouth on Sky, he's been whipping pretty damn good crosses in from all angles. Have Zohore, Bogle, Healey, whoever attacking those could be more profitable than our crrent tactic, which for me is overplaying things.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    A long long time ago I was speaking briefly to Kevin Lloyd. I asked why we kept pumping long balls forward. He replied that they weren't told to do that, it's just something that happens in games. Maybe thing aren't going well, confidence, whatever but often players revert to the "safest" thing, ie getting the ball away from the penalty area.
    Ahhhh Kevin Lloyd. Didn't we sign him from Hereford during Hibbert's three year reign of terror? The modus operendi in those days was to hoof the ball upwards and onwards in the hope that Carl Dale would latch onto it and he would score. Somehow this miraculous tactic worked (we also had Steve White also purchased from the same team) and once we even made the play-offs. The other two years we were an absolute disgrace, nearly falling out of the League itself and into Conference country.

Warnock is light years ahead of Hibbert in the managerial stakes. We shouldn't be resorting to those dark tactics with the team we have and the division we are in.

Not disagreeing - the point I was making was to give an insight into players acting differently on the pitch from how they are told to play, due to factors like confidence, situations etc.

Lloyd was pretty clear they weren't told to aimlessly hoof it... just that it happened during games.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Not disagreeing - the point I was making was to give an insight into players acting differently on the pitch from how they are told to play, due to factors like confidence, situations etc.

Lloyd was pretty clear they weren't told to aimlessly hoof it... just that it happened during games.
    Precisely. Football is not basketball or grid iron where set plays can come into play. Eric seems to think a manager says "hit it long all night". It is nowhere near that simple, but then Eric tends to use manufactured statistics to inforce his views - it's a crude form of p hacking. This post illustrates a further lack of understanding of the game.

He would come up with stats about Cardiff rarely winning having conceded first, without acknowledging that Cardiff rarely conceded first in comparison with other teams. He would then use this information as a reason to sack a manager who was improving league position year on year and was getting the club to a cup final.

Eric, Warnock may well say "play it down the channels, turn the defence to get them faving their goal" but he certainly won't be saying "hoof it long". The opposition may sit deeper, mark tighter, or push wide midfielders up, narrow, back etc. It's this that impacts on Warnock's tactics, and may result in Warnock's team playing long ball football. TOBW also makes good points that, hopefully, will help you understand.

Precisely. Football is not basketball or grid iron where set plays can come into play. Eric seems to think a manager says "hit it long all night". It is nowhere near that simple, but then Eric tends to use manufactured statistics to inforce his views - it's a crude form of p hacking. This post illustrates a further lack of understanding of the game.

He would come up with stats about Cardiff rarely winning having conceded first, without acknowledging that Cardiff rarely conceded first in comparison with other teams. He would then use this information as a reason to sack a manager who was improving league position year on year and was getting the club to a cup final.

Eric, Warnock may well say "play it down the channels, turn the defence to get them faving their goal" but he certainly won't be saying "hoof it long". The opposition may sit deeper, mark tighter, or push wide midfielders up, narrow, back etc. It's this that impacts on Warnock's tactics, and may result in Warnock's team playing long ball football. TOBW also makes good points that, hopefully, will help you understand.
    #IAmVerySmart

Was there a 95/65 season?