+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who decides what tactics to play?

Who decides what tactics to play?

Last night (more noticeably than the other two games) saw us launch everything up in the air. From defence, everything was blasted forward. From midfield, high balls were hit into channels or up to Zohore. There was so little passed along the deck it was dreadful. This is old news, of course.

Now, the question has to be why were the team constantly doing this? For defenders and goalkeeper to continually hit it long everytime they must have been under instruction to do so, surely? I can only presume a lack of faith in Ralls and Damour being able to keep hold of possession as a reason for doing so, but the constant long ball bombardment must have been ordered from above.

I made a comment last night that it reminded me of those spells under Dave Jones' management where we didn't have a clue what we were doing and just lumped everything long in hope that something would happen. This has to provide a problem for us. Unless Warnock is going to instruct his team to start passing the ball on the deck as they were earlier in the season then we're likely to be stuck with the hopeful long ball bollocks we've seen recently. Warnock has to find a way to stop us playing like that. Jones didn't know how to rectify this problem and we could go for several weeks looking absolutely clueless. Jones' failure to find a solution ultimately cost us promotion on a few occasions and unless Warnock can stop this awful football that we're playing, this season will go the same way.

Re: Who decides what tactics to play?

A long long time ago I was speaking briefly to Kevin Lloyd. I asked why we kept pumping long balls forward. He replied that they weren't told to do that, it's just something that happens in games. Maybe thing aren't going well, confidence, whatever but often players revert to the "safest" thing, ie getting the ball away from the penalty area.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    A long long time ago I was speaking briefly to Kevin Lloyd. I asked why we kept pumping long balls forward. He replied that they weren't told to do that, it's just something that happens in games. Maybe thing aren't going well, confidence, whatever but often players revert to the "safest" thing, ie getting the ball away from the penalty area.
    I stopped reading when you mentioned kevin Lloyd...........

Hear managers say that their teams didn't play to instruction.mayve this is what is happening with us at the moment, quite a few bad results over the last few weeks, could be that the .momentum we had has gone and the players are lacking confidence.

Why can Ralls and Damour keep the ball? Anyone who can't keep the ball and pass it 5 yards shouldn't be a footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I stopped reading when you mentioned kevin Lloyd...........
    Exactly

What an example to use

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Exactly

What an example to use
    Could've lied and said something like Lee Jarman, even Spencer Prior.

To be fair to Ralls and Damour no one actually moves when they have the ball to put themselves in position for a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    To be fair to Ralls and Damour no one actually moves when they have the ball to put themselves in position for a pass.
    Ralls in particular on several occasions last night just hooked the ball forward without even looking if anyone was available.

Damour just chased shadows last night.

Could've lied and said something like Lee Jarman, even Spencer Prior.
    I would have said Paul Milsom but I'm seemingly the only person who remembers that ginger striker we got from the Wurzels in the Hibbitt era that was hyped up and did f*ck all...

I would have said Paul Milsom but I'm seemingly the only person who remembers that ginger striker we got from the Wurzels in the Hibbitt era that was hyped up and did f*ck all...
    I remember him-I'll raise you, and give you a Gerald Dobbs.

Ooooh, nice - I just about remember him.

What about Toni Koskela then? I was going to throw in Glenn Johnson but that would be way too easy for a loyal fan like yourself.

Ooooh, nice - I just about remember him.

What about Toni Koskela then? I was going to throw in Glenn Johnson but that would be way too easy for a loyal fan like yourself.
    Glenn Johnson? did he come here with peter zois? got me there. One thing's for sure, we had some shit back then, remember Mickey Bennett? think he scored a couple of goals though.

Glenn Johnson? did he come here with peter zois? got me there. One thing's for sure, we had some shit back then, remember Mickey Bennett? think he scored a couple of goals though.
    Met Mickey Bennett, nice guy.

You were close linking Johnson and Zois - same nationality. Johnson was smallish Aussie striker, bleached bonde hair. Yet another striker I thought looked promising only to go on to, well, nothing of note.

Met Mickey Bennett, nice guy.

You were close linking Johnson and Zois - same nationality. Johnson was smallish Aussie striker, bleached bonde hair. Yet another striker I thought looked promising only to go on to, well, nothing of note.
    Mirko Bolesan (I think) didn't he come here on trial with another player? Please don't tell me that you remember his name....

Mirko Bolesan (I think) didn't he come here on trial with another player? Please don't tell me that you remember his name....
    Hmm... yes, there was another Italian guy, wasn't there? I thought he signed a deal but never played... might have been wrong about that.

Hmm... yes, there was another Italian guy, wasn't there? I thought he signed a deal but never played... might have been wrong about that.
    Feretti a striker. Few years back...sure he played though.

Paul Shaw. Hibbert era on loan. Did fek all. All hype

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Feretti a striker. Few years back...sure he played though.
    Nah,well before Ferretti.

Bolesan was a midfielder, had him on trial, came on as a sub and only impact was a crunching tackle. He came over with another guy who I'm thinking wasn't used at all, can't remember the name. Would have been what, 95/65 season or there abouts. The other player was also Italian - problem finding out details is he never played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Paul Shaw. Hibbert era on loan. Did fek all. All hype
    But.... he played for Arsenal mun! An early example of the Eggo hyping up "superstars".

Thought Shaw was a bit unlucky, tbh. He wasn't *that* bad.

But.... he played for Arsenal mun! An early example of the Eggo hyping up "superstars".

He was better than Maurice Scott I suppose' I do him a disservice . Jorn schwinkendorf however.

He was better than Maurice Scott I suppose' I do him a disservice . Jorn schwinkendorf however.
    Schwinky did hit the post y'know.

We've had plenty more likely to hit the bar than the post if you know what I mean.

I'm not going to sleep now till I get the name of the triallist with Bolesan. Googled... absolutely nothing.

Mo Scott, Legend. Remember that night in Gloucester-FA Cup replay 1990? Was a hairy evening on and off the pitch.

He went to Millwall and scored 25 goals from midfield in 109 games

Schwinky did hit the post y'know.

We've had plenty more likely to hit the bar than the post if you know what I mean.

I'm not going to sleep now till I get the name of the triallist with Bolesan. Googled... absolutely nothing.
    You got me on that one. Above my pay grade. It was the beginning of foreign players coming along. Start of an arms race. Exotic types. Martinez went to Wigan that year.

My misses chucked my rothmans football year books out by mistake years ago. The font of all knowledge. Gone. Just gone. I might have some programmes from that season. I will see if I can dig em out tomorrow.