+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NFL show bbc 1

The NFL show bbc 1

Any body ever watch it. It's only half hour long which is great. I am not a massive fan of American Football but it is growing on me. Never thought it would. I like Osi Umenyiora as well. Pretty incisive on the video playbacks helps me understand what's going on. It's a weird game and certainly not football and shouldn't be called such but there is something about it.

Re: The NFL show bbc 1

Are they still kneeling?

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Any body ever watch it. It's only half hour long which is great. I am not a massive fan of American Football but it is growing on me. Never thought it would. I like Osi Umenyiora as well. Pretty incisive on the video playbacks helps me understand what's going on. It's a weird game and certainly not football and shouldn't be called such but there is something about it.
    I've been living in Minneapolis for 6 years now and like you, have come to be able to live with this strange game. What you might not have realised is that the game is as much a cultural thing in the States as it is a professional sport. The kids can get involved in Junior High at age 13 and if you want to play you learn pretty quickly that it's taken very seriously from day one. Every High School has it's teams and a proper 'stadium' with bleachers (open seating), the school adopts a team name as in the pro game - my local school uses 'Rebels' (which gets tagged on to every sporting team in the school not just football) and if you play for the school team, you're looked up to and supported by your peers - it's regarded as an honour. It seems the whole neighborhood gets involved in supporting the High School sports teams and fund-raises for kit and training. The girls (as well as having their own sports teams including soccer) work hard to get selected for cheerleading duties and the whole thing creates a sense of pride community pride and achievements are reported on by local by local media including TV. The aim for any team is to get through to state finals, considered a huge thing when you consider the number of schools involved. Of course the best are offered scholarships and go off into College football which is huge all across the states and in every sport. The Minnesota Gophers (University Football team) play in a new(ish) 50,000 seat stadium. In football, do well at College and you can look forward to being included in the annual draft of college players and ultimately be picked by one of the professional teams with a million-dollar contract.

Final thought about the professional game, the 52nd Superbowl is here in Minneapolis in February and the (Minnesota) Vikings have already earned a place in the end-of-season play offs (only 6 qualify). As you can imagine there's great excitement first about hosting Superbowl and all the add-on events that surround it (a full 7 days of major events) but also because the Vikings are considered one of the leading contenders to get to and win Superbowl. If that was to come about, they'd be the first NFL team to win Superbowl in the their own stadium. They need to beat Chicago Bears tomorrow to ensure a bye in the first round of play-offs.

Play in a head to head fantasy league - it’s huge. Tens of millions play it. You’ll learn the game in one season but you’ll have to wait until next September to join in again

And the Vikes are one of 6 from their conference - it’s 12 in total that hit the playoffs I think

International

I've been following Americal Football for 46 years. It's a fascinating game and it's eay to get hooked on it.My team was always the Dolphins. They had a coach back then called Schullar (Sic spelling) and he was considered the best in the business. He rpoved it beating the Packers in the Siperbowl.

It's a great sport and people who try to align it with rugby or soccer are completely missingthe thrust of the game. The game is bout advantage atteck and defence is a tough sport to be invovled in. If the US ever took up rugby to the same level they'd be unbeatable, I know I was playing against thir Air Force all those years ago.
    If anyone slags it off I tell them, "Don't knock what you haven't tried"

All American sports seem to have been invented for the statisticians

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I've been following Americal Football for 46 years. It's a fascinating game and it's eay to get hooked on it.
    Blimey, I knew the games dragged on but that's ridiculous.

The best thing now is the redzone show is on every Sunday on sky sports mix which shows every game when the teams are within 20 yards of scoring

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    The best thing now is the redzone show is on every Sunday on sky sports mix which shows every game when the teams are within 20 yards of scoring
    Absolutely - though obviously only for regular season.

There's been talk the NFL Network channel would be put onto the Sky network for years.

I have to say that the coverage I have seen is impressive. The camera work, replays, player mics, knowledge of the players from the commentators etc I can see why its a good watch. Must be even more absorbing when you get up to speed with it and follow a team.

I have to say that the coverage I have seen is impressive. The camera work, replays, player mics, knowledge of the players from the commentators etc I can see why its a good watch. Must be even more absorbing when you get up to speed with it and follow a team.
    It definitely is - and the Super Bowl is always something to be seen, the whole entertainment side surrounding the game.

Springsteen's set one half time had to have been the greatest ever.

The best bit you probably don't know? College football in the USA is mega big. Mega. Provides players for the drafts etc - but you've got University sides with 100k capacity stadia... just think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    It definitely is - and the Super Bowl is always something to be seen, the whole entertainment side surrounding the game.

Springsteen's set one half time had to have been the greatest ever.

The best bit you probably don't know? College football in the USA is mega big. Mega. Provides players for the drafts etc - but you've got University sides with 100k capacity stadia... just think about that.
    Yeah. I knew the college games were huge and know about the draft system. I will admit to being a bit snooty about the game until lately. I getting into it a bit now. Going to watch some more.

Redzone definitely the best way to watch.

Shows key plays from early and afternoon games - with no adverts so 7 hours of nothing but gridiron.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I've been following Americal Football for 46 years. It's a fascinating game and it's eay to get hooked on it.My team was always the Dolphins. They had a coach back then called Schullar (Sic spelling) and he was considered the best in the business. He rpoved it beating the Packers in the Siperbowl.

It's a great sport and people who try to align it with rugby or soccer are completely missingthe thrust of the game. The game is bout advantage atteck and defence is a tough sport to be invovled in. If the US ever took up rugby to the same level they'd be unbeatable, I know I was playing against thir Air Force all those years ago.
    If anyone slags it off I tell them, "Don't knock what you haven't tried"
    Shula was a great coach, best in the business? my biased opinion is the guy the Super Bowl trophy is named after Vince Lombardi and he didn't beat the Packers in the Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I've been living in Minneapolis for 6 years now and like you, have come to be able to live with this strange game. What you might not have realised is that the game is as much a cultural thing in the States as it is a professional sport. The kids can get involved in Junior High at age 13 and if you want to play you learn pretty quickly that it's taken very seriously from day one. Every High School has it's teams and a proper 'stadium' with bleachers (open seating), the school adopts a team name as in the pro game - my local school uses 'Rebels' (which gets tagged on to every sporting team in the school not just football) and if you play for the school team, you're looked up to and supported by your peers - it's regarded as an honour. It seems the whole neighborhood gets involved in supporting the High School sports teams and fund-raises for kit and training. The girls (as well as having their own sports teams including soccer) work hard to get selected for cheerleading duties and the whole thing creates a sense of pride community pride and achievements are reported on by local by local media including TV. The aim for any team is to get through to state finals, considered a huge thing when you consider the number of schools involved. Of course the best are offered scholarships and go off into College football which is huge all across the states and in every sport. The Minnesota Gophers (University Football team) play in a new(ish) 50,000 seat stadium. In football, do well at College and you can look forward to being included in the annual draft of college players and ultimately be picked by one of the professional teams with a million-dollar contract.

Final thought about the professional game, the 52nd Superbowl is here in Minneapolis in February and the (Minnesota) Vikings have already earned a place in the end-of-season play offs (only 6 qualify). As you can imagine there's great excitement first about hosting Superbowl and all the add-on events that surround it (a full 7 days of major events) but also because the Vikings are considered one of the leading contenders to get to and win Superbowl. If that was to come about, they'd be the first NFL team to win Superbowl in the their own stadium. They need to beat Chicago Bears tomorrow to ensure a bye in the first round of play-offs.
    I'm an Eagles fan and without Wentz I fear the Eagles' super bowl run will end when they play Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Shula was a great coach, best in the business? my biased opinion is the guy the Super Bowl trophy is named after Vince Lombardi and he didn't beat the Packers in the Super Bowl
    What about Belichick? 7 rings.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm an Eagles fan and without Wentz I fear the Eagles' super bowl run will end when they play Minnesota.
    I dont know that offensive line is pretty impressive without wentz.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What about Belichick? 7 rings.
    Taping of signals, deflating balls, passing game based upon illegal picks which never get called... asterisk man.

The 49ers will be a team to watch next season the way garroppolo has started can't believe my team the pats let him go I think for a 2nd round draft pick and not a 1st

Taping of signals, deflating balls, passing game based upon illegal picks which never get called... asterisk man.
    "do your job" deflate gate was a joke we beat the Colts by 40 odd points, the new thing now that we signed Harrison just to spy on the Steelers which we just beat ffs

Couldn't care less what the Colts score was, it's still the attempt to cheat.

Like the kitman being called the "deflator" - yeh, people believe it was due to him losing weight.

Beat Steelers due to a poor play call by the Steelers. Now you've access to all the defensive formations and play calls. Done the same to AFC East teams for years.

Still ignore the illegal pick plays that are the forte of your offence tho, eh?

Couldn't care less what the Colts score was, it's still the attempt to cheat.

Like the kitman being called the "deflator" - yeh, people believe it was due to him losing weight.

Beat Steelers due to a poor play call by the Steelers. Now you've access to all the defensive formations and play calls. Done the same to AFC East teams for years.

Still ignore the illegal pick plays that are the forte of your offence tho, eh?
    What illegal pick plays

What illegal pick plays
    Virtually every ****ing pass where they run a WR across the intended target to take out defenders, leaving the target free...

I dont know that offensive line is pretty impressive without wentz.
    Foles was awful on Christmas Day. And the defense have lost their way over the last month. It will be interesting to see what kind of team the Eagles field today for a meaningless game. I should imagine the first-string offense will all start and play for a while to give Foles some game time with full protection and offensive weapons.