+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock admitted himself he was surprised..

Warnock admitted himself he was surprised..

..that City were at the top of the table, a few weeks ago. However frustrated everyone is about the dramatic plunge in 'form', this man knows more about managing a Championship club than all of us put together.

I suspect he was hoping that things could have bounced along until now without losing so many recent points, but I doubt he ever seriously thought this side - especially with injuries to Morrison and Gunnarson - would keep up there until the end of the season.

All to often managers bring in new blood which either has no positive effect or even worse, affects the team's stability. In City's case, it can surely only help us get that 'second wind' to see us to the end of the season. Assuming of course, the players are at least as good as Morrison, Gunnarson et al...

Re: Warnock admitted himself he was surprised..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..that City were at the top of the table, a few weeks ago. However frustrated everyone is about the dramatic plunge in 'form', this man knows more about managing a Championship club than all of us put together.

I suspect he was hoping that things could have bounced along until now without losing so many recent points, but I doubt he ever seriously thought this side - especially with injuries to Morrison and Gunnarson - would keep up there until the end of the season.

All to often managers bring in new blood which either has no positive effect or even worse, affects the team's stability. In City's case, it can surely only help us get that 'second wind' to see us to the end of the season. Assuming of course, the players are at least as good as Morrison, Gunnarson et al...
    Most sensible post that I have read on this site for ages.

Should Gunnarson have played for Iceland when he was injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's certainly did him no good. I think several years of non stop football, winter and summer have finally caught up with Gunnar.
    I posted some weeks ago, before news of his latest setback that I doubted we would see him in a City shirt again
    I may be proven right

Agree 100%. We're 4th which is well within the range the club was targeting at the start of the season. Tan has been around for one reason and that is to oversee spending on new recruits in Jan. This was always the intention. I would not be surprised to see the club spend bigger money than expected on recruits. If Warnock gets it right a play off place at the end of the season is the minimum we can expect.

Cardiff have punched above their weight with the players they have for the most part of this season.
    It seems mainly that they have accepted giving away possession in exchange for quick fire attacks through width and nabbing goals.

However that works for so long.
    When teams work out that you can shut Cardiff down by defending high and then Cardiff are left with the option of either passing through the midfield with players of limited passing ability or pumping Long balls up the attack - their threat is significantly nullified.

I believe that’s what you’re seeing now.
    Whether Warnock anticipated this would happen or not is a different matter but I would imagine he is working on a Plan B to counter.
    It’s not like he hasn’t seen it before.
    As ugly and as unattractive as Cardiff play is, it’s a tried and tested formula for Warnock.

Cardiff will likely finish 7th - 10th which is probably a very good result given the resources he’s had to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    was the injury he had earlier in the season the same one which has ruled him out now ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Cardiff have punched above their weight with the players they have for the most part of this season.
    It seems mainly that they have accepted giving away possession in exchange for quick fire attacks through width and nabbing goals.

When teams work out that you can shut Cardiff down by defending high and then Cardiff are left with the option of either passing through the midfield with players of limited passing ability or pumping Long balls up the attack - their threat is significantly nullified.

Whether Warnock anticipated this would happen or not is a different matter but I would imagine he is working on a Plan B to counter.
    As ugly and as unattractive as Cardiff play is, it’s a tried and tested formula for Warnock.

Cardiff will likely finish 7th - 10th which is probably a very good result given the resources he’s had to work with.
    For 6 or 7 years before promotion Cardiff City were playing the some of the best football ever seen in the Championship - yet failed at to go up. 'Pretty' footballing sides don't often come out on top..

How did your team do on Saturday? What an ugly and unattractive performance. Bristol Shitty will likely finish mid table which is probably a good result given the resources the squeaky one has had to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    How did your team do on Saturday? What an ugly and unattractive performance. Bristol Shitty will likely finish mid table which is probably a good result given the resources the squeaky one has had to work with.
    Only someone as deluded as Jursett could come on here telling us our teams deficiencies when his own team got beat by 10 men at home, then lost 5-0 yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Only someone as deluded as Jursett could come on here telling us our teams deficiencies when his own team got beat by 10 men at home, then lost 5-0 yesterday.

They did put us to the sword in their Nailsea stronghold.

To be fair Cleetus that’s a perfectly reasonable summary of how our season has gone so far. If you were posting it on any other board than a Cardiff City one there may have been some point in it.

You were doing so well and then just had to put in a ridiculous statement about how ugly and unattractive our play is, when we were on form we were almost unstoppable at times and played very good attacking football, apart from that you're pretty much spot on. I think we may sneak into the play offs or even higher dependent on who we bring in

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Menken View Post
    They did put us to the sword in their Nailsea stronghold.
    I think you may have your own definition of 'put us to the sword'.

They won - narrowly - after Bogle was red carded (when they were very lucky not to have been down to 10 before that) but it was hardly a massacre! Up to the red card I thought Cardiff were the better side (admittedly only based on internet commentary, post match highlights and the comments of those who were there).

PS - Why 'Helen Menken'?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think you may have your own definition of 'put us to the sword'.

They won - narrowly - after Bogle was red carded (when they were very lucky not to have been down to 10 before that) but it was hardly a massacre! Up to the red card I thought Cardiff were the better side (admittedly only based on internet commentary, post match highlights and the comments of those who were there).

PS - Why 'Helen Menken'?
    This 'new' poster smacks of the old bellend who used to be a persistent WUM forecasting City losses every week. Always used the opposition nickname and became so hopeless at said predictions that his own Bookmaker turned up showing how much he'd lose by betting on them.

I can't grasp his name though - Cyril something?

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    This 'new' poster smacks of the old bellend who used to be a persistent WUM forecasting City losses every week. Always used the opposition nickname and became so hopeless at said predictions that his own Bookmaker turned up showing how much he'd lose by betting on them.

I can't grasp his name though - Cyril something?
    Of course it's him. I'd forgotten his name, but your Cyril was the trigger for the name Cedric Harper to come into my mind - the man in charge of all engineering in the forces if I remember rightly.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Of course it's him. I'd forgotten his name, but your Cyril was the trigger for the name Cedric Harper to come into my mind - the man in charge of all engineering in the forces if I remember rightly.
    That's the one! He of the Royal Signals allegedly, until he then contradicted himself and was constantly reminded of it. Was it Calonlan he had the long running spat with??

His forecasts of predicted City doom were so bad 'Cedric's Bookmaker' soon appeared

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    That's the one! He of the Royal Signals allegedly, until he then contradicted himself and was constantly reminded of it. Was it Calonlan he had the long running spat with??

His forecasts of predicted City doom were so bad 'Cedric's Bookmaker' soon appeared
    I did have a giggle at the prediction threads then the subsequent “Cedric’s Bookmaker” response.
    The accuracy of the predicted results were the best because..well..they weren’t accurate in the slightest.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Helen Menken (December 12, 1901 – March 27, 1966) was an American actress. First husband was Humphrey bogart
    Memorable for not being famous for anything worth remembering