+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fined for turning left while driving in Cardiff

Fined for turning left while driving in Cardiff

Just need some advise, few weeks ago I was working in Cardiff and had a call to Wagamama.

I was at the traffic lights with in my works van with WalkAbout on my right hand side. I kept out of he bus lane, and when the bus lane finished I turned left.

I’ve got a £35 fine for turning left (not driving in the bus lane). I been turning left there for years with no problems. Does anyone know if there’s a new no left turn sign?

Once I turned left I drove up the lane to the bollard that’s got to be lowered for me to enter.

Is it worth fighting or just paying up?

Re: Fined for turning left while driving in Cardiff

You turned left in front of the Prince of Wales to end up there , that is a fine , no point fighting it

The moral of the story being stick to the right, never turn to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    You turned left in front of the Prince of Wales to end up there , that is a fine , no point fighting it
    How else would I get there? There’s vans and lorries that require access there for delerveries and call outs.

Just checked on google street view (July 2017) and the no left turn sign is there sorry mate

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Just checked on google street view (July 2017) and the no left turn sign is there sorry mate

Looks like I’ve got to pay it, thanks for checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The moral of the story being stick to the right, never turn to the left.
    Becoming, or turning left , has its consequences .

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    How else would I get there? There’s vans and lorries that require access there for delerveries and call outs.
    Got to go straight on under the railway bridge, around the roundabout and back up St Mary's Street and then turn right. Seems illogical and a typical load of bullshit road layout from the council again. I guess it's designed to allow the buses free flow from the stops on the left at the end of the Street but I can see how it is confusing with so much visual noise around.

I'd write in and appeal, stating that you couldn't see how else you could access the road. You could also claim a bus obscured your view of the no left turn sign - which it sounds as if it did...

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    There is. He was turning into Mill Lane.

stmaryst.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    Just need some advise, few weeks ago I was working in Cardiff and had a call to Wagamama.

I was at the traffic lights with in my works van with WalkAbout on my right hand side. I kept out of he bus lane, and when the bus lane finished I turned left.

I’ve got a £35 fine for turning left (not driving in the bus lane). I been turning left there for years with no problems. Does anyone know if there’s a new no left turn sign?

Once I turned left I drove up the lane to the bollard that’s got to be lowered for me to enter.

Is it worth fighting or just paying up?
    Just pay up I turned by the pow after arguing I can't with the Mrs following week bang photo evidence and fine

On a side note. What a farce and waste of money duplicating Rd signs in Welsh.
    Tourist gimmick!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    There is. He was turning into Mill Lane.

stmaryst.jpg
    Yep, you're agreeing with me I think!

I did it as well. To be honest a genuine mistake, didn't see any sign. Does it really Warrent £35 fine? Wasn't speeding, no one in danger.
    Just a money making machine.

The wankers stung me for 35 quid ,Dropped my partner off at tiger tiger grey friars rd.
    Talking to my mate about city, wandered in bus lane.

Write and appeal explaining the situation. I believe everyone has one chance with their first offence.

Me and the Mrs have both been successful with our first appeal and hers was in exactly the same place as yours, mine was on Greyfriars Rd.

I also agree that the new road layout in both areas are a mess.

its just a money making scheme, a real shame we have to put up with it

I will be getting a letter and a fine from Swindon yesterday, popped out for lunch and popped into the outlets, turning into the car park ( so i thought ) I am 25 meters down the road and i spot a "bus only " sign, you really couldnt see it from the main road till you are on the road, then you have nowhere to go except straight ahead and down the road which is " bus only " its a joke

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    On a side note. What a farce and waste of money duplicating Rd signs in Welsh.
    Tourist gimmick!
    Yes, remove the English, tourists will have to work it out for themselves then or buy a Welsh dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Write and appeal explaining the situation. I believe everyone has one chance with their first offence.

Me and the Mrs have both been successful with our first appeal and hers was in exactly the same place as yours, mine was on Greyfriars Rd.

I also agree that the new road layout in both areas are a mess.
    Cheers I have.I actually stopped as you enter the bus lane.I was looking to reserve back,however there was a taxi and bus behind me,
    so i had no other option but to enter the bus lane

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    The wankers stung me for 35 quid ,Dropped my partner off at tiger tiger grey friars rd.
    Talking to my mate about city, wandered in bus lane.
    May be you should concentrate just a little bit more when you are driving. You are lucky it was only a bus lane that you "wandered" in to and not a pedestrian or a cyclist

I wasn't driving.I was on a rickshaw

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Cheers I have.I actually stopped as you enter the bus lane.I was looking to reserve back,however there was a taxi and bus behind me,
    so i had no other option but to enter the bus lane
    I would add that it probably only works if you apppeal BEFORE paying the fine!! If you've paid, there's absolutely no system / staff in place to deal with appeals.

Like you, I tried to avoid my error as I couldn't see a way out of Greyfriars Road (at night, poor visibility and I was sure that the New Theatre end was for Buses / Taxis only). I went to take one turn out, but when I got closer it appeared to be one way so turned around and tried a different route out. I then realised that this was heading towards a Bus only route, so tried to pull over but a Taxi came right up behind me. In hindsight I should've just jammed on the anchors, let the Taxi guy overtake and then I could pull over, get out and see where the hell I could legally exit this mess, but I carried on as that would've been more dangerous and then realised I was into a bus lane.

Anyway, knowing all this, I explained it when I appealed after the letter arrived and they replied advising that as a first time offender, they'd waive the fine on this one occasion.

In effect, they had no care about the situation or what I'd put in my letter, moreso that it was simply a first offence tactic. I guess after realising what a mess they'd made of the road layout here and near Mill Lane. I say 'mess' as it must make them an absolute fortune.

I too got fined for driving through the bus lane outside the Hilton. I won.
    I appealed on the grounds of inadequate signage given that the only sign telling you it's a bus lane is positioned after your only means of avoiding it ie by turning right onto the Megabus bus stop side road of Kingsway. (They still haven't improved the signage btw).
    I know it's not the same location as the OP but it's always worth appealing.
    Last edited by The Bloop; 04-01-18 at 21:20. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I too got fined for driving through the bus lane outside the Hilton. I won.
    I appealed on the grounds of inadequate signage given that the only sign telling you it's a bus lane is positioned after your only means of avoiding it ie by turning right onto the Megabus bus stop side road of Kingsway. (They still haven't improved the signage btw).
    I know it's not the same location as the OP but it's always worth appealing.

I think i will do the same, as the sign in my case was a fair bit down the road and by the time you look up, its too late

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Yes, remove the English, tourists will have to work it out for themselves then or buy a Welsh dictionary.
    So would 99% of Cardiffians!!