+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rail fare rises: Commuters 'priced off' UK trains, union says

Rail fare rises: Commuters 'priced off' UK trains, union says

Interesting video, the cost of a monthly season ticket from Chelmsford to London is £380.

The cost for a similar journey in other countries is :-

France £65
    Italy £66
    Spain £108
    Germany £118
    Belgium £144
    London £380

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42536159

Re: Rail fare rises: Commuters 'priced off' UK trains, union says

How do UK rail fares compare to Europe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4254...pean-countries

I know high staff wages and endless strikes and ballots can also price folk off trains , and cause mayhem to thier lives ,gone is the age of poor train and guard salaries , some earn more than emergencey service staff .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I know high staff wages and endless strikes and ballots can also price folk off trains , and cause mayhem to thier lives ,gone is the age of poor train and guard salaries , some earn more than emergencey service staff .
    You think they get paid more than the French?

The fact they are paid more than emergency staff is the fault of this government not the rails staffs. It’s not a race to the bottom

Whereas in France they definitely never strike and take home pittance.

Unfortunately the industry is no better run now than it was before. I am struggling to see a single benefit to privatisation and we were told it would bring loads.

On the 'endless strikes', I thought this was part of the glory of privatisation that it took power away from the unions?

And on 'train guard salaries' - 20-30k - they are in charge of a train full of passengers and can be held personally responsible and prosecuted for any accidents, doesn't sound like the cushy golden ticket you are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    The fact they are paid more than emergency staff is the fault of this government not the rails staffs. It’s not a race to the bottom
    We get the politicians we deserve.