Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Letting out a flat off the books

Re: OT: Letting out a flat off the books

Read the small print;2.
    When you can’t use the Rent-a-Room Scheme
    You can’t use the scheme if the accommodation is:

'not part of your main home when you let it
    not furnished
    used as an office or for any business - you can use the scheme if your lodger works in your home in the evening or at weekends or is a student who is provided with study facilities
    in your UK home and is let while you live abroad'

'

Yes but he will still be registered at the property, and he is no living abroad, simply going on an extended holiday.

I think he is opening up a can of worms, but if he gets the right lodger who plays fair, keeps a low profile and his parents keep an eye on things while he is away he may be ok. I would probably think about it myself in the same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    What is a ?
    I want a job that will pay me to go on an extrnded holiday
    Sorry, the name of it is a bit mis-leading. It's basically voluntary redundancy, so they offer you a payment to leave the company. I have to apply for it and it unlikely I'll get it at my age but worth a shot. Would be looking to either re-train in something new or come back to apply for a new job at the end of the travels.

The rent a room scheme sounds like a good option then, if like you say I can find the right tenant. I guess I would still be registered as living in this country as I would only be travelling on holiday and not living or working abroad. But from what I can see tax isn't an issue eitherway as I would be leaving just before the new financial year but the rent a room scheme looks like it may avoid the restrictions put in place by Help to Buy? I guess in that situation I would have to declare the extra person on my council tax which would mean I would lose the single occupant discount but that wouldn't be an issue as I could just cover the extra myself.

Will speak to the agents mentioned in here though for a chat anyway to see if they can advise me.

Another side question to this - I assume I'll need to tell my mortage lender that I will be unemployed, is that likely to effect my mortgage or will it not matter as long as I can prove I have funds to pay it?

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Another side question to this - I assume I'll need to tell my mortage lender that I will be unemployed, is that likely to effect my mortgage or will it not matter as long as I can prove I have funds to pay it?
    They shouldn't mind as long as they're satisfied you won't fall behind on payments.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Read the small print;2.
    When you can’t use the Rent-a-Room Scheme
    You can’t use the scheme if the accommodation is:

'not part of your main home when you let it
    not furnished
    used as an office or for any business - you can use the scheme if your lodger works in your home in the evening or at weekends or is a student who is provided with study facilities
    in your UK home and is let while you live abroad'

'
    They are not living abroad.

Feedback

Pay the funds, they won't care.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The "landlord" has to be resident for rent a room to apply:

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your...-a-room-scheme

And we have already established that tax is not an issue.
    The landlord will be resident.

Cheers all. Looking at the 'rent a room' scheme again I think this will be my best option. As above, I will still be a UK resident so all I will need to do is notify the council tax people that there are now 2 occupants so I will lose the single occupant discount, which is fine and just add the tenants share of the council tax to the rent.

Not sure though if I can still use the standard tenants contract model mentioned above? Doesn't seem to be any mention of a contract under the rent a room scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    You're not listening. He can't rent out the property due to restrictions. He can take in a lodger though (which is what rent a room relief is for).

No agreements needed, no tax issues arising.
    ^^^ Well Played.

Cheers all. Looking at the 'rent a room' scheme again I think this will be my best option. As above, I will still be a UK resident so all I will need to do is notify the council tax people that there are now 2 occupants so I will lose the single occupant discount, which is fine and just add the tenants share of the council tax to the rent.

Not sure though if I can still use the standard tenants contract model mentioned above? Doesn't seem to be any mention of a contract under the rent a room scheme.
    I don't think rent a room means being a UK resident. As I read the rules you are required to be resident in the property during the time you rent a room.

Feedback

I don't think rent a room means being a UK resident. As I read the rules you are required to be resident in the property during the time you rent a room.
    He will be. There is nothing in the HMRC manual that defines resident landlord other than you need to own the property or be it's primary tenant and it needs to be your main residence.

Feedback

No contract is needed when you take in a lodger

No contract is needed when you take in a lodger
    Maybe not, but having no contract is a very big risk.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Maybe not, but having no contract is a very big risk.
    It is for the lodger, not for the landlord

It is for the lodger, not for the landlord
    Really?

If you've got someone already living in your house and they decide to stop paying rent then the landlord is in a very tough situation without any agreement in writing.

How can the landlord evict and get the money they're owed?

As far as anyone would know I will be a resident at the property, will just be on holiday a lot. The travelling will probably be split into 2 parts of the year anyway when i will be back in the country at the half way point for a short while too.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Really?

If you've got someone already living in your house and they decide to stop paying rent then the landlord is in a very tough situation without any agreement in writing.

How can the landlord evict and get the money they're owed?
    From what I gather it would be wise for both parties to have a contract. There are model contracts available for this specific situation when you rent to a lodger so weuld certainly have one in place for my piece of mind.