+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Does anybody on here really believe

Does anybody on here really believe

These big companies who advertise free fitting of kitchens, carpets etc ?
    It’s got to be one of the biggest cons going!
    Nobody fits a kitchen or bathroom or carpet for naff all! It’s obviously added into the original price, but some suckers go for it, believing their getting a bargain.

Re: Does anybody on here really believe

Sod em. It’s the mugs that pay stupid money that mean the more savvy get the good deals.

Well spotted. The light has just been turned on, I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well spotted. The light has just been turned on, I assume?
    Not really mate. I install bathrooms and kitchens and charge a small fortune lol!
    Just wondering if any suckers out there really believe they are getting work done for Brussels sprout!

Yes but it’s all about margins.
    A big company by processing lots of sales at small margins can make more money.
    Also by having contracts with fitters they can force the price down, so in the end the customer does get a better price.

Not free, but certainly cheaper that doing two separate transactions.

We’ll certainly wouldn’t use you W.T.!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Yes but it’s all about margins.
    A big company by processing lots of sales at small margins can make more money.
    Also by having contracts with fitters they can force the price down, so in the end the customer does get a better price.

Not free, but certainly cheaper that doing two separate transactions.
    That’s all well and good, but claiming free installation is both misleading and false advertising and should be jumped on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    We’ll certainly wouldn’t use you W.T.!
    I get plenty of work, because I’m honest and upfront, and explain in detail to the customer exactly what they are paying for both material wise and labour wise.
    Any decent tradesman will tell you it’s the finishing that is most important.
    When I leave a job, I make sure everything is spot on and do not take any payment for labour unless the customer is 100% satisfied with the finished article.
    My point is, advertising “free fitting” as I said above, is both misleading and dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That’s all well and good, but claiming free installation is both misleading and false advertising and should be jumped on.
    It’s not really - do you include a list of all your overheads when you quote?
    Or petrol for you can, money for lunch etc?
    No it’s all built into your costs.

Same here , just bigger overheads.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I get plenty of work, because I’m honest and upfront, and explain in detail to the customer exactly what they are paying for both material wise and labour wise.
    Any decent tradesman will tell you it’s the finishing that is most important.
    When I leave a job, I make sure everything is spot on and do not take any payment for labour unless the customer is 100% satisfied with the finished article.
    My point is, advertising “free fitting” as I said above, is both misleading and dishonest.
    I made the mistake of getting a work colleagues husband to fit a kitchen for me 8/9 years ago. Never again. She hadnt worked for us long and she told me he was a kitchen fitter and could do me a hobble on the weekened. He wasnt. Later found out he was a labourer in a builders. He didnt even jig the worktops together just put two piece of work top together side by side. Idiot.

My own fault. Paid 7/8k for a kitchen then £500 for fitting. Live and learn.

Money for lunch?!?!

I think your meandering away from the point here. These big companies clearly advertise “free fitting” when it’s basically a lie. That is the crux of my gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Have much is the AVERAGE cost to replace old and fit a new kitchen nowadays ? ie just tops and cupboards etc not new white goods
    Some joiners will give you a price for the doing the job themselves as they know about enough plumbing to get by, but if it involves taking out gas cooker/hob then I’ve not met many joiners who have a gas safe certificate lol!.
    Me being a plumber, I work with a joiner and the average cost of taking out old kitchen and refitting new (no new white goods) would be around the £900 mark. Then again, that’s an average size kitchen (2 worktops routered if required, 4/5 base units, 5/6 wall units.) price would rise for bigger kitchens and any additional electrical/ Splashback boards or tiling..

When you go to one of the big players for kitchens, you know that you are paying over the odds for everything, for the units, for the fittings, for the appliances and for the installation. The thing is people use these services for the convenience. You know you could walk into B&Q and come out with a design, the appliances and an appointment for fitting in an afternoon. You will pay through the nose for it.

The big players in the New Year will waive the Installation fee to get customers buying a new kitchen, at a time when times are quiet. To fill up their order book and because their costs are high they still turn a profit on the work.

Most people do not have easy access to a kitchen fitter, a plumber and an electrician, and blindly going through the yellow pages, or having a mate do it can lead to differing results.

I was lucky that when i had my kitchen I bought the units from a building merchant, bought the utilities online where i could find the best prices, and i did have access to some one to fit. I saved thousands.

Im sure most are aware of the tactics used by big suppliers, however they do not have the resources, or confidence to do something about it.

The cost of new kitchen itself obviously depends on what you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    When you go to one of the big players for kitchens, you know that you are paying over the odds for everything, for the units, for the fittings, for the appliances and for the installation. The thing is people use these services for the convenience. You know you could walk into B&Q and come out with a design, the appliances and an appointment for fitting in an afternoon. You will pay through the nose for it.

The big players in the New Year will waive the Installation fee to get customers buying a new kitchen, at a time when times are quiet. To fill up their order book and because their costs are high they still turn a profit on the work.

Most people do not have easy access to a kitchen fitter, a plumber and an electrician, and blindly going through the yellow pages, or having a mate do it can lead to differing results.

I was lucky that when i had my kitchen I bought the units from a building merchant, bought the utilities online where i could find the best prices, and i did have access to some one to fit. I saved thousands.

Im sure most are aware of the tactics used by big suppliers, however they do not have the resources, or confidence to do something about it.
    Most of what you say is correct, except for the big players”waiving” the installation fee. This is the point of this whole thread. Nobody, and I mean nobody installs anything for free. It’s all incorporated in the over all price, which is fine if a punter wants to pay that much, but advertising it as free installation is in the words of the much missed Lone Gunman, complete Bollux!!

I do repairs for free sometimes, if I'm in the mood and feel sorry for people.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I do repairs for free sometimes, if I'm in the mood and feel sorry for people.
    Good egg! Dying breed.