+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spillers record shop

Spillers record shop

Heard on Pointless the other day that this is the oldest record shop in the world. Surely can’t be true. Can it?

Re: Spillers record shop

Was it a pointless answer?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Heard on Pointless the other day that this is the oldest record shop in the world. Surely can’t be true. Can it?
    An outrageous claim.

Why don't you try googling "oldest record shop in the world" and see what comes up?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    An outrageous claim.

Why don't you try googling "oldest record shop in the world" and see what comes up?
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.KfnPf7RGIMw

An outrageous claim.

They claim it anyway
    http://www.spillersrecords.co.uk

Spillers Records, established in 1894, is the oldest record shop in the world.[1] It is located in Cardiff, Wales. In addition to selling music, it is the city's main location for buying tickets for alternative music concerts.

And the Council were so proud of its heritage instead of awarding it rent free status it forced a move from its wonderful site, so some branded shop could pop up, Dr Martens I think, wow.

There’s another store in Valletta claiming to be the oldest as they are still in their original premises, and haven’t moved several times like Spillars has.

An outrageous claim.

Because googling everything kills conversation on here, becomes boring and makes us robotic like. Why start off with facts when we can have a bit of banter first !!

Because googling everything kills conversation on here, becomes boring and makes us robotic like. Why start off with facts when we can have a bit of banter first !!
    Good point. Well made.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Was it a pointless answer?
    No. The gangly geezer wearing the Gregory’s chucked it in as a tit bit.

No. The gangly geezer wearing the Gregory’s chucked it in as a tit bit.
    Richard the Giant

What a pointless post Richard is

That's what opinions are for.

It's important for the safety of civilization that we keep facts free of opinion.

There’s another store in Valletta claiming to be the oldest as they are still in their original premises, and haven’t moved several times like Spillars has.
    A lovely place.

I thought everyone in South Wales knew that

Hear, hear...

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Hear, hear...
    This and that

That's what opinions are for.

It's important for the safety of civilization that we keep facts free of opinion.
    Liam Feeney is shit. Fact or opinion?

It may be the oldest record shop business (for all I know) but it's obviously not the oldest record shop.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Spillers Records, established in 1894, is the oldest record shop in the world.[1] It is located in Cardiff, Wales. In addition to selling music, it is the city's main location for buying tickets for alternative music concerts.

And the Council were so proud of its heritage instead of awarding it rent free status it forced a move from its wonderful site, so some branded shop could pop up, Dr Martens I think, wow.
    Do you really think it is in the council's power to intervene in a tennancy agreement between a private landlord and a business?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Do you really think it is in the council's power to intervene in a tennancy agreement between a private landlord and a business?
    I believe there is some laws that can protect the existance of historical buildings ,and this shop was historic, meant a lot to me and many thousands of others ,my guess visitors with an intrest in music would seek it out .

Liam Feeney is shit. Fact or opinion?
    Fact

In my teenage years when City were away (and I wasn’t going) I spent nearly every Saturday in town at either Spillers or Buffalo (which was just across the road in The Hayes). Bought my first 2 albums on the same day (one in each store but can’t remember which was which now) The Clash and Another Music In A Diffferent Kitchen. Still got them both

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    In my teenage years when City were away (and I wasn’t going) I spent nearly every Saturday in town at either Spillers or Buffalo (which was just across the road in The Hayes). Bought my first 2 albums on the same day (one in each store but can’t remember which was which now) The Clash and Another Music In A Diffferent Kitchen. Still got them both
    I loved buying my concert tickets there.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I believe there is some laws that can protect the existance of historical buildings ,and this shop was historic, meant a lot to me and many thousands of others ,my guess visitors with an intrest in music would seek it out .
    There is a difference between listed buildings and the businesses that occupy them and I don't think there is much the council can do about either. Visitors can still visit Spillers. You really haven't explained what you think the council could have done to keep Spillers in it's previous building